Galgo In Distress After Every Meal

Hope someone can help.

for the last 6 months this happens when Leah eats. Normally she keeps her food down. Some times she is in so much pain, her legs will give out on her and she will throw up her food.The vet can't find out what is wrong, she has been on diet food, she had medication for 2 weeks that protected her stomach, she has been dewormed, treated for Giardia and has been treated with Finidiar Forte.

She isn't eating fast and gets small portions 3 times a day. She chews well and has water added to her kibble so it is softer.

Another thing is, she didn't have this problem in the 4,5 years before.

The link is a video that her mom made to send to her vet and it shows what happens.

Edited by galgomum

Guest BiancasMom

All I see is a reverse sneeze. Is she actually collapsing? Maybe have her checked for megaesophagus or have an ultrasound done? I don't see any real distress in the video. She is beautiful by the way. :)

I don't like seeing that stretch after eating. Is it my imagination or does her belly turn pinker as she eats?

I can only suggest feeding her even smaller amounts of food at a time. Maybe she's gulping too much air as she eats.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Not sure what is going on with her belly but to me she is eating way too fast. I would put her food in a bunt pan or get a brake fast bowl for her. She doesn't seem to even be chewing the food.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest d0ggiem0mma

The video looks/sounds like she is reverse sneezing. I read that is usually caused by irritation of the palate on the roof of the mouth way at the back. Maybe try feeding wet food or soaking the try food in water for 30 minutes before feeding? The softer texture might be less irritating. She would also be less likely to swallow air or have bloat issues with the moist food.

I agree, it doesn't really look like she's in "distress." One of my whippets has reverse sneeze fits frequently.

Edited by d0ggiem0mma

Based on the sound of the food, I'm guessing it was dry kibble? I always moisten Summer's kibble. If I fed her bone-dry kibble, she'd choke and do things, too. Maybe Leah's mom could try putting some water on the kibble and see if that helps?

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Isis reverse sneezes when she eats too fast. But her belly does not contract like this dogs does. Have they tried feeding her very slowly and by hand?

I would see how she does if she only gets a few kibbles at a time and not the bowl.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Her Mom and I have been talking back and forth for a while and a few times we came back to the idea she might have an allergy problem.

Her mom will put her on raw tomorrow to see if she suddenly became allergic to most kibbles.

Any other suggestions are very welcome.

I have ZERO experience with this so I could be completely off base but the first thing I thought of when I saw the video and read your post was a dog on here a number of years ago whose name I can't recall who had megaesophagus and whose owner had to construct a special seat called a Bailey Chair for the dog to eat its meals in. You might want to do a little research about the condition and see if it fits with the symptoms. Here's one link: My link

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

I have ZERO experience with this so I could be completely off base but the first thing I thought of when I saw the video and read your post was a dog on here a number of years ago whose name I can't recall who had megaesophagus and whose owner had to construct a special seat called a Bailey Chair for the dog to eat its meals in. You might want to do a little research about the condition and see if it fits with the symptoms. Here's one link: My link

I did, thank you.

This doesn't fit the problem, she doesn't throw up her food or water.

She drinks water just fine.

I did, thank you.

I saw this video too, of a dog exhibiting the same symptoms as your friend's dog.

The two dog's behaviors look eerily similar, don't you think?

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

I did, thank you.

I saw this video too, of a dog exhibiting the same symptoms as your friend's dog.

The two dog's behaviors look eerily similar, don't you think?

A dog with that problem brings up its food, she doesn't do this, no water either.

The vet has seen the video and now has all kind of suggestions, is convinced there is something wrong with her stomach.

In the mean time, she's been fed raw now and could eat normal?

The owner is going to give this a few days, see how she does on raw meat.

We are wondering if she did develop an allergy for something in all those kibbles.

If the problems return, she will do ask the vet suggests.

Honestly I would have some imaging done-- radiograghs and an abdominal ultrasound. A barium swallow might be of benefit here too.

I agree.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest lovemyblackgrey

Honestly I would have some imaging done-- radiograghs and an abdominal ultrasound. A barium swallow might be of benefit here too.

I agree.

hi,

my greyhound was doing the same and hoovering the kibble too fast. I found that adding a tbsp of yoghurt was slowing her eating down a lot. she is now licking the yoghurt of the kibble and by doing so staggering the amount she eats. very simple but worht a try :-)

good luck with it!

Update:

Talked to her owner this week and since she is being fed raw, she hasn't had any issues anymore.

But she is keeping a close eye on her. A vet visit is coming up, one of these days, so she is going to discus it further.

Thanks for all the input.

That's a good update. I did not have helpful ideas or insight to offer so did not reply previously. Did watch the video. Will say that to me it looked like more than just a reverse sneeze. (Although I can understand why some feel it is.) To me 'distress' was a very good description. It would upset me greatly to watch a dog going through that with every meal. Very glad she is doing better. Hope the improvement lasts.

BTW, your friend's Galgo is a very beautiful hound. She is truly stunning.

Guest lynne893

This seems EXACTLY like what happens when our Swiftie eats. She races her sister Greta to finish (Greta will come over and steal Swiftie's food if Swiftie doesn't finish first), and in doing so, GULPS her food down without chewing all of it.

She then gasps for air as her rib cage is all extended and huffing and puffing in and out. Often, her throat is stiff as a board, too. Then, she walks around sounding like reverse sneezing, her eyes are watering, then burps and is all better and her rib cage deflates to normal size. This all takes about 10- 30 seconds. EACH time she eats.

I will have to try the yogurt tip.

I did watch the video and the dog looks EXACTLY like Swiftie does, so I would doubt it's anything more serious than gulping a bunch of air down with her food.

I personally occasionally gulp air and it HURTS as it's making its way down my esophagus. My husband says it never happens to him, but it does to me and it's awful. It's like I have to stop doing whatever I'm doing to wait for the air bubble to pass down.