Anyone Notice A Change In Kirkland Chicken Formule?

Guest LadyChester

Guest LadyChester

I noticed and slight color difference on the last bag of Kirkland chicken formula I purchased (and a higher price). My guys have been off their feed, but they're also having significant issues with allergies right now - me, too! They're also having some other issues, so I can't be certain it is the food.

Anyone else noticed a lighter color? I'm thinking I may have gotten a bad bag, but I bought several at once, so perhaps they're all the same batch. Just curious. I know they'll accept them back - they're always great with returns, but I'm wondering if there may have been a change in the formulation. I hope not!!! We've done well on this food for years!

Opie is fed the Lamb and Rice formula, and the last 2 weeks or so (and yeah, right around when i opened the new bag) he has not been eating his breakfast at all, and even balked at a few dinners until I put tons of add ins on top (more than he usually gets) I chalked it up to spring when he sometimes does this, but now after reading your post I am not so sure. I was even thinking about buying him another food, or at least one to mix in to get him to be excited about eating again. Hmmmmm ......

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

I was wondering the same thing too. Breeze used to lick the bowl clean, but lately she would eat some and then walk away. I started mixing it half and half with Orijen as well as add ins, so she is doing better with it. But if I give her a piece of Kirkland kibble as a treat she will not eat it.

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

Guest LadyChester

My chow hound is walking away. The others are picking, even with add-ins. I'm wondering how you find out if there was a formula change??? I suppose I could e-mail Costco, but I wonder if I'd get an accurate answer?!

I opened a new bag about a week ago. I had purchased a number of bags a couple of months ago and had been using my "stockpile."

Edited by LadyChester

Interesting.

I had the same experience a couple years ago, which is why I don't feed Kirkland anymore.

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

The lamb, too. There is also a lot of crumbs left in the bottom of the bag. So much, it looks like sand.

My neighbor was just complaining about the same thing with Purina One. His grey won't eat it and he called Purina. They suggested trying the shredded chicken, or something. I don't know because I don't use it.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I haven't noticed anything and my dogs are eating the Lamb and Rice and the Chicken and Rice. They're all eating better than ever.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

My two eat the Chicken and Rice from Costco and aren't having any issues. But I did notice the bag just before the 2 I just last sunday did seem to have a lot of crumbs in it. But this bag seems fine to me.

Sarah, mom to Stella and Winston . And to Prince, Katie Z, Malone, Brooke, Freddie, Angel and Fast who are all waiting at the Bridge!

www.gpawisconsin.org

Guest greytcritters

I too also contacted Diamond Food Pet Company.

I gave them the production code for the bags I have and the expiration date.

She said their nutritionist and vet will call me back.

When I hear something I will happily share.

I hope they didn't change it, my hounds/non-greys have always done really well on the Kirkland Lamb and Rice, solid stools, shiny coats, and man always been chow hounds! I change them from Nutro Natural Choice b/c of problems with their food

I wonder if this is the source of Yaz's vomiting...although when we changed foods, that really didn't help... :( but with the home cooked meals he's gained back 4 lbs!!! :yay

BTW here is the link to the site I went to to get in contact with Diamond http://www.diamondpet.com/contact_us/

Edited by greytcritters

Guest greytcritters

Ok I just talked to the Diamond Pet Food Vet and she said they did NOT change the formula recently. The formula for both chicken and rice and lamb and rice have been the same for past 6 years. They DID change it (as well as other formulas) 6 years ago to add more fruits vegetables and a more natural diet. I also gave her the states in which people were experience difficulties in feeding. She said that there are 2 US plants that the food was produced South Carolina and Missouri and no one has reported problems from either plant. People in Indiana actually get the food from BOTH plants, East Coast/South=South Carolina plant and Illinois and Wisconsin is Missouri plant, West coat and South West = California plant is the general break down.

I do now have a case number and it has been recorded as an issue.

The also are the makers of Nature's Domain, I may see what that is about. She also suggested possible changing the protein source and for the greyhound especially go to Mature dog formula which is less rich and more bland for digestion ease.

Bottom line is they DID NOT change their formula...as for my hounds I am going to see if a protein source change is a solution to their digestion and appetite issues.

Thank you everyone for opening that line of communication

Guest greytcritters

NATURE'S DOMAIN GRAIN-FREE SALMON MEAL & SWEET POTATO DOG FOOD

is made with salmon meal and ocean fish meal for quality protein and omega-3 fatty acids, this formula offers great nutrition for overall health and vitality for all dogs. Grain-free formula Salmon Meal & Sweet Potatoes Available in 35 pound bags

INGREDIENTS

Salmon meal, sweet potatoes, peas, potatoes, canola oil, potato protein, potato fiber, natural flavor, flaxseed, ocean fish meal, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS

Crude Protein 24.0% minimum Crude Fat 14.0% minimum Crude Fiber 3.0% maximum

Moisture 10.0% maximum Zinc 150 mg/kg minimum Selenium 0.4 mg/kg minimum

Vitamin E 150 IU/kg minimum Omega-6 Fatty Acids* 2.4% minimum Omega-3 Fatty Acids* 0.3% minimum

I think this is the food I am going to go with. I don't see BHA, BHT, ect in it. It seems to be reasonably priced which unfortunately in a concern as well. If it wasn't my guys would be getting filet mignon! :hehe:hehe

Edited by greytcritters

is made with salmon meal and ocean fish meal for quality protein and omega-3 fatty acids, this formula offers great nutrition for overall health and vitality for all dogs. Grain-free formula Salmon Meal & Sweet Potatoes Available in 35 pound bags

INGREDIENTS

Salmon meal, sweet potatoes, peas, potatoes, canola oil, potato protein, potato fiber, natural flavor, flaxseed, ocean fish meal, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS

Vitamin E 150 IU/kg minimum Omega-6 Fatty Acids* 2.4% minimum Omega-3 Fatty Acids* 0.3% minimum

I think this is the food I am going to go with. I don't see BHA, BHT, ect in it. It seems to be reasonably priced which unfortunately in a concern as well. If it wasn't my guys would be getting filet mignon! :hehe:hehe

I switched to the Nature's Domain months ago for my 3 furrkids. It really helped with Ellie's "Wendy's Frosty" poops.. :lol (now who wants a roadtrip to Wendy's?? :lol) And they don't feel like they need to eat as much.

The only downside is that the only 2 Costcos that carry it in Phoenix are about a 40 minute drive. So when I go, I take the Houndmobile and buy 3 or 4 bags.

newsig1127ab_zps4af4600d.jpg
Isis, Always in my Heart Bijou, My Sweetest Angel

Guest LadyChester

Greg - have you been feeding the salmon or turkey formula? My Costco doesn't carry the Nature's Domain, but the one about 20 miles from here does.

I checked again ... the bag of Kirkland is markedly lighter in color. I'm going to return it, along with the other bags I purchased at the same time. There's definitely something off.

I opened a new bag and it is more of the regular color, but the hounds are still less than thrilled. Maybe their tummies are upset from the other bag. They didn't eat much but a little :(

Greg - have you been feeding the salmon or turkey formula? My Costco doesn't carry the Nature's Domain, but the one about 20 miles from here does.

I checked again ... the bag of Kirkland is markedly lighter in color. I'm going to return it, along with the other bags I purchased at the same time. There's definitely something off.

I opened a new bag and it is more of the regular color, but the hounds are still less than thrilled. Maybe their tummies are upset from the other bag. They didn't eat much but a little :(

The Costcos here only have the Salmon..so far

newsig1127ab_zps4af4600d.jpg
Isis, Always in my Heart Bijou, My Sweetest Angel

Guest Houndstown

I went yesterday and they were out of the chicken. I had to get the lamb. It's only two dollars more so it wasn't a big deal. I'm just hoping they bring the chicken back! Pre really likes it.

Guest Teresa

INGREDIENTS

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS

I switched to the Nature's Domain months ago for my 3 furrkids. It really helped with Ellie's "Wendy's Frosty" poops.. :lol (now who wants a roadtrip to Wendy's?? :lol) And they don't feel like they need to eat as much.

The only downside is that the only 2 Costcos that carry it in Phoenix are about a 40 minute drive. So when I go, I take the Houndmobile and buy 3 or 4 bags.

I also switched from the Kirkland brand to Natures Domain and all my hounds love it. Both Indianapolis locations carry both kinds so I am very lucky and the dogs are happy.

Guest mountain4greys

My 6 love the Kirkland Lamb and Rice and have been eating it for almost 5 years. Nothing off here, everyone eats it right up. I want to try the Nature's Domain, just haven't bought it yet.smile.gif

Just 2 more questions that should be asked - not that they will be willing to share the info -

Did the company (Diamond) change suppliers for any of the ingredients, especially the protein source?

Did the suppliers source for any of the ingredients change?

Technically, they may not have changed the formula, but it's possible they sourced ingredients somewhere else with a new supplier or due to supply issues used a new vendor. I've seen it before in a couple of the foods that we fed previoulsy - we'd usually find out after the poop was already squirting.....it wasn't a formula change, but color, smell, etc of the food was always noticeably different when this happened.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest LadyChester

Good points, Rocket's mom. I was thinking along those lines. None of my boys are eating well, even with opening a new bag. I DO think something has changed. So, I guess we're going to be trying new foods. I absolutely despise trying to find something everyone eats and on which they all do well. Bummer.

Xan - my Costco doesn't carry the Nature's Domain, either, but the next closest one does. I think it is about $7 more a bag than the regular Kirkland.

We are going to Costco tomorrow, and I know they do carry the Natures Domain. Its a bit more, maybe the $7, and the bag is a few pounds smaller too. But we may try it. Opie has been eating a bit better. He does sometimes go off eating for a few days. But I would not say he is dying to get at the food, he just eats it, with all the add ins I am putting in. We may get the ND tomorrow, I have only seen the salmon there, and try to mix it in, see if that helps.

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

Guest tricolorhounds

4 of mine are on teh Chicken formula and haven't seem to have any issues.

On the other hand... I switched Gain and Bonkers to the Natures Domain about 6 weeks ago after being on Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream for several years. Earlier this week, Gain refused to eat!!! He is my Hoover Vacuum Cleaner. He inhales his food and has never missed a meal. He's has liquid diarrhea for the last several days, his stomach growls so loud you can hear it across the room and the gas has been horrendous. We've done the fasting and are now on boiled hamburger, pepto bismol and flagyl. We're switching back to TOTW as soon as he's feeling better.

Bought the ND salmon food today. When we got back I mixed a small amount in with the Lamb and rice kibble and he inhaled his food. Will see if this continues, and if it agrees with him.