Training My Neighbor

Guest june

This morning as I was preparing the girls breakfast I decided to leave the girls in the yard. I can turn my head and look out the door and see what they are up to. One of my girls searches out all the things in the yard I don't want her to eat so unless I am right there she is muzzled with a poop guard. As I looked up I saw the dogs run to the back gate and here is my neighbor chasing his Yorkie that has gotten out of his yard and is trying to get under the fence into my yard! You better believe I was out the door (in my robe and PJ's) like a shot. Of course my high prey drive girlie is right there ears up and intense; you know the look.

After grabbing her collar I nicely explain to the neighbor that he should be careful his dog doesn't get into my yard and why. when he finally catches his dog he gives me a dirty look!

My yard is very well fenced with posted signs to beware of dog (I don't want neighborhood kids opening the gates). Why do I feel like I'm the one who is doing something wrong? Having a high prey drive girlie I am always careful of her and small animals. It is scary that if his dog gets into my yard my dog will be the one at blame! He lives right across the alley.

Frustrated and needed to vent!

june

Not similar in experience but the same reaction: more than a handful of times off leash dogs have run up to Duke in the neighborhood and on a hiking trail, when they should be leashed! I put my hand out and yell to warn the dog and owner to stay back. When they approach they always say “he/she is friendly” as if their irresponsibility has nothing to do with it as long as their dog is friendly but how am I to know how Duke will react? In other words, we are doing all of the right things and when we warn them they look at us as if we are the problem. hmph!

Guest Swifthounds

If his dog enters your yard and gets injured, that's his fault. Small animal friendly or not (not the same thing as prey drive), a greyhound is a mortal danger to any dog that small.

I wouldn't ever post Beware of Dog signs, as they do little good and in many places, should an incident occur, they can be used both as proof that your dogs are dangerous and as proof you had knowledge of this. Of course, telling him as much does pretty much the same thing.

I would probably opt for one of the signs about high speed hounds, keeping gates closed, etc.

There are always going to be idiots who don't take care of their animals. The guy ho can't keep a Yorkie in his yard isn't very likely to heed a warning.

Not similar in experience but the same reaction: more than a handful of times off leash dogs have run up to Duke in the neighborhood and on a hiking trail, when they should be leashed! I put my hand out and yell to warn the dog and owner to stay back. When they approach they always say “he/she is friendly” as if their irresponsibility has nothing to do with it as long as their dog is friendly but how am I to know how Duke will react? In other words, we are doing all of the right things and when we warn them they look at us as if we are the problem. hmph!

I always yell back "I'm not!" They don't care of thier dog rushes aggressively at a trapped, leashed dog, but they do try to avoid the crazy lady!

Just tell him/her 'gee, your little pup would make a great snack for my girlie if she gets into my yard' and leave it at that...some people are clueless

I had someone ask me today if my 2 were still 'babies'...nope they're full grown

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel

I have also been told that posting "beware of dog" signs opens you up to all kinds of problems if anything should happen. A cousin of mine wanted to post those signs and she looked into it and that is what she learned. So she chose not to post signs, to avoid the liability.

Also, if the neighbor's dog gets into your yard and gets eaten... horrible as it is, I don't think he can charge you. His dog shouldn't have been there. But those signs would have to gone.

As to keeping the gates shut, can you not put locks on them? I think it would be strange that anyone opened them but if that is a concern, I would keep outside-grade padlocks on them. I don't have that worry with my gates but I do have spare padlocks in the basement should anything change, so that I can protect my girl right away. I am thinking about locking them anyway (that will FORCE the lawn maintenance people to always contact me a day in advance!).

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

I have often thought about the signs and if I should have them up or not. I want something on the gate to keep the neighborhood kids out. They love my dogs when we walk and I try to educate them about what can happen if a grey gets loose and ask them to never open my gates. I have locks on all my gates but one. That one I go in and out of daily and usually several times. It has a tricky catch that makes it hard, but not imposable to open. Also, it is rare that my dogs are out in the yard without me. I have a deck with a gate at the house inside the yard if they just want to be outside. I'll look into other signs to replace the beware of dog signs. Thanks for letting me vent and the suggestions.

june

Guest Sunset123

We had a very similar problem. The neighbor that we share a section of fence with has two tiny, yappy, and very untrained terriers. He lets them out into their yard, but they have no recall at all.

When we got Arrisa, the little dogs started running up to the fence and actually sticking their heads through the holes, yapping crazily at my dog. There are thick plants along the fence area, so their owner couldn't see what they were doing since he doesn't like to leave his porch.

I was afraid to let Arrisa into the yard because I never knew when the little terrors terriers would get let out. Arrisa is high-prey, and could easily hurt those dogs. If they made her mad enough, she could even jump the fence to get them (no, I never leave her alone in the yard).

I ended up using wood panels to block out that section of the fence. It made SUCH a difference. The blocked out section is about 3ft high. The little dogs don't come over because they can't see Arrisa, and Arrisa is so used to hearing them yap that as long as she can't see them, she's not bothered by them.

Edited by Sunset123

I agree with those who have said that if his dog gets into your yard and is hurt or killed by your dogs, you won't be liable. In our area, he would actually be at fault and possibly even fined for having his dog off leash and not contained.

However, was this a one-time accident, or a repeated occurrence? Maybe it was a true accident that his dog got out. I can understand why he might have been a little annoyed to be lectured about why his dog shouldn't be allowed to get into your yard when he's already out there obviously trying to catch the dog and keep that from happening. Just trying to look at the other side of it too - although if it's happened more than one time, he probably needed the lecture.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

If it happens again, point out your girlie's reaction and tell him that is not a good thing.

I think I've seen signs somewhere that state that a high speed greyhound lives there. You can probably find them online or even have one made. That would indicate to the neighborhood kids not to open the gate (in addition to your educating them) and would basically not state that the dogs are vicious; just fast.

Carol, missing Magic (1/5/01 - 4/15/15) but welcoming Fuzzy's Joy Behar (Joy) into my life on 5/31/15.

Guest sheila

I wish I had some good advice but I think you might be living next to MY next door neighbor. They have a little fluffy they let out to play in their fenced yard, but 1/2 the time the gate is wide open. 'Fluffy' has nearly gotten eaten by folks walking their dogs because she is aggressive and runs at them yapping. The neighbors don't take it seriously because Fluffy only weighs about 5lbs and therefore can't do any harm. I came out once when I heard a ruckus and they were screaming at a guy who was leash walking his dog ACROSS the street when Fluffy ran at them yapping and the other dog didn't take kindly to it. I pointed out to my neighbors that their dog was technically 'running at large' and it wasn't the other guys fault. It didn't do any good. It also didn't do any good to tell their kids repeatedly to not leave my gates open when they kept losing balls etc; in my yard. I finally put locks on the gates and then had to replace them with heavy duty indestructible locks when one lock mysteriously got broken and my dogs were loose.

Haven't read thru all the posts but if you are concerned at all about someone opening your gates, use combination padlocks.

Haven't read thru all the posts but if you are concerned at all about someone opening your gates, use combination padlocks.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest manawatugal

What about the neighbourhood cats coming into my garden? I think legally I would not be liable if my hound decided to chase (he does) and then injure one. There are lots of cats around us and I thought by now they wouldn't be dumb enough to venture in now we have a dog, but someone told me yesterday (she has a small dog and two cats) that yes they will keep coming into your garden because cats are basically arrogant, which I must say I think is true. Think Rudyard Kipling 'the cat that walked alone and all places are alike to a cat' or something. Actually we have mice living in our compost bin and my neighbour's cat comes and sits on top of it waiting. So far Stanley hasn't caught any of the cats he has chased and I've been told by the adoption agency where I got him from that he is cat friendly, but he was tested in a controlled environment so not sure what would happen in my situation. Guess I'll find out one day.

I've just had a sign made for my front gate that says "Greyhounds Live Here" with an outline of a greyhound on it. Cost NZ$70 8inches x 2" I suppose. But I love the suggestion above 'High speed...etc" wish I'd got that now. I also have a Please Shut the Gate sign, haven't got to padlock stage yet as dog not normally outside without me or not for long and nobody has left gate open yet.

All a big learning curve I suppose.

Guest Samantha

I had a problem last year with neighbours who let their small jack russell dig under my fence. I too was in the kitchen when I looked out to see Maddison eyes bulging, tearing around the garden after this small white dog. I was terrified she was going to catch it!!. I yelled at the neighbour to come in my garrden and remove their dog, to which I got a most unpleasant look and a shrug. I ended up having to repair the fence on my side, as they weren't bothered at all by the hole their little dog had dug. In the end they actually moved, but I had numerous run-ins with them. I was petrified that Maddison would be blamed should she grab the dog, and she doesn't even have any prey drive :blink: . I wrote a letter explaining things to them...it really didnt help. Some people are just beyond stupid :angry:

This was the first time I've seen the dog trying to get into my yard, but the man did tell me he can't keep it in his yard and that he is "always chasing it." I did nicely suggest he might try putting some garden fence along his regular fence where the dog gets out.

I really don't want my dogs to hurt anybody's dog. It would break my heart if that should happen when it can be prevented. I just put up new fencing last year in hopes of preventing something like this from happening.

I'm looking for some less threatening signs to replace the Beware of Dog signs.

Thanks everyone.

june

I really would get a lock for that one unlocked gate. To some kids, a sign indicating NOT to open the gate would be an invitation TO do it.

All you can really do is talk to your neighbor. Might tell him where to get a cheap ex-pen that he could use to bolster the faulty part of his fencing.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest mirinaaronsmom

I don't know if the laws are different in various areas (probably), but I know in my community that if a dog gets into my fenced yard and gets hurt, I am at fault. It makes absolutely no sense to me, but that's what I've been told. So you may want to check your local ordinances.

I almost always get dirty looks when a loose dog charges us and I step between and use the VOG with the loose dog. The owners get all miffed and never apologize. I find it interesting that the dogs usually listen to me better than they do to their owners, so I figure the owners are embarrassed by that and take it out on me.

There is no cure for stupid. I warned my neighbor her cats frequent my yard. ( My lizards taste better). The cats tease and walk along the top of my 6ft wood fence.When the coast is clear they drop in the yard to investigate the free world. Neighbor says they can run really fast! Told her last time I went to Derby Lane NO cats came out of the boxes! Same day a neighbor said I was stupid to walk 3 dogs. I responded loudly that if he stayed on his side of the street,NOBODY would get hurt. I will defend my dogs and if he drops his retractable leash agsin (because his dog is friendly) I will go into overdrive. I've been walking 3 or more dogs before he learned to say doggie......KIDS!

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Why worry about this at all? I totally understand that it is horrible to see a hound get hurt, but really, what are you expected to do? I would respectfully disagree with MIRIAN in that you would some way be responsible for an injury in your yard. You have taken all "reasonable care" to ensure that your yard is safe and secure. There is no way you could be expected to predict that another dog would dig under your fence and enter your yard, legally or morally. If you have a leash law in your town, then there is nothing that the other owner could use as an argument that you are responsible. Furthermore, in most places dogs are seen as property and as such they are not extended the same courtesy and respect from the courts that humans are when they are attacked by a dog.

Guest Houndstown

My behind neighbor has two yorkies. We have a fenced in yard and so do they. They actually built their fence after we put up ours so they just tied into ours, which means the back of my fence became the back of their fence. They let their yorkies run out into the yard freely with a doggie door. The yorkies run up and down the fence yipping and jumping. Tera is super high prey drive, but she's finally gotten used to it. I used to be scared she'd try and jump the fence or something. However, I can only imagine what would happen if Tera actually got to one of the yorkies. It still wouldn't be pretty even if she's gotten used to them. I've had conversations with the neighbor, even telling the story about the half a bunny Tera brought us not long after we had gotten her. Nothing's changed so I'm just hoping both fences hold!

Our neighbours weren't understanding also at our old house. We actually had to put a padlock on our gate, as we found one of the kids in our yard on multiple occassions. Do they think they should can go to another person's yard/property and stand there? Really? Our neighbour had a Staffordshire (she was a suck) but that same kid stood in her yard too waiting "wanting to play with the dog."

Just the other night we were walking the boys in the neighbourhood at night. A man, with his young daughter and BRAND NEW PUPPY are walking towards us. Obviously both our boys are at attention and we are both holding our boys strongly trying to continue our walk up the street. The guy zip lines his puppy and lets him approach our boys, who are at full attention. We turned and moved on our way just in time as the puppy was scrambling to us. We told him, "don't do that unless you want that puppy to be their dinner." He smiled, oblivious to what we just said and walked on. The girl was telling daddy "look the dogs like that" encouraging the puppy to walk towards them and squeak. I can't believe some people sometimes.

We always use the "breakfast/lunch/dinner" approach. Most people actually get it, but what bothers me is when you see us HOLDING our dogs back, and your dog comes up to us....each and every time....can't you tell we don't want you near us? I'm a small frame girl, and it's a struggle for me to hold both of them back when walking them....yet people walk RIGHT up to me with their dog, even when I deviate from the sidewalk to the grass or even the road. SHEESH

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Why worry about this at all? I totally understand that it is horrible to see a hound get hurt, but really, what are you expected to do? I would respectfully disagree with MIRIAN in that you would some way be responsible for an injury in your yard. You have taken all "reasonable care" to ensure that your yard is safe and secure. There is no way you could be expected to predict that another dog would dig under your fence and enter your yard, legally or morally. If you have a leash law in your town, then there is nothing that the other owner could use as an argument that you are responsible. Furthermore, in most places dogs are seen as property and as such they are not extended the same courtesy and respect from the courts that humans are when they are attacked by a dog.

Not sure what the laws are about liability if someone's loose dog or cat gets into your yard and is attacked by your hound. I'd like to think that wouldn't be your fault since you've got your dog contained and they don't. However, I'm not sure that's true. Consider that if someone breaks into your house with the intention to steal something or even hurt you, and they are attacked and injured by your dog... THEY can sue you! It's ridiculous. You just broke into MY house to steal my things or potentially do bodily harm to me. My dog does his job and protects the property and me and *I* get in trouble for it? Not that my dog would ever protect the house or me... he's a social butterfly... all theoretical.

Actually, someone tried to break into a house and successfully sued the owner of the house because he was injured due to poor maintenance of the house. I can't remember exactly what the deal was... the windows were shoddy or something and he got injured climbing into the house.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest Gemma

Not sure what the laws are about liability if someone's loose dog or cat gets into your yard and is attacked by your hound. I'd like to think that wouldn't be your fault since you've got your dog contained and they don't. However, I'm not sure that's true. Consider that if someone breaks into your house with the intention to steal something or even hurt you, and they are attacked and injured by your dog... THEY can sue you! It's ridiculous. You just broke into MY house to steal my things or potentially do bodily harm to me. My dog does his job and protects the property and me and *I* get in trouble for it? Not that my dog would ever protect the house or me... he's a social butterfly... all theoretical.

Actually, someone tried to break into a house and successfully sued the owner of the house because he was injured due to poor maintenance of the house. I can't remember exactly what the deal was... the windows were shoddy or something and he got injured climbing into the house.

I think the incident you are referring to happened in England. At least, there was a very famous case there where a burglar fell through a skylight and successfully sued the homeowner.

In the US, I believe laws vary from state to state BUT most seem (to this Brit) to support the rights of the homeowner, not the burglar. Kids wandering onto the property, though, is something else entirely. I was recently informed that if you have a pool and you don't fence it in, you can be sued should an unattended child wander in and drown.

I spoke with my insurance agent today (he was out of town)and he told me if something happened I was covered especially as I just put in new fence and I've taken precautions to make it difficult for people to get in. He also stated I should absolutely put NO signs on my gates. The fact that two gates are locked and the third has a special clip to make it difficult to open should be enough to tell anyone with half a brain (his words :lol ) that I don't want them in my yard. Also, if a dog gets into my yard I am safe (legally) because our town has a leash law.

So, the signs are down and hauled off by the garbage men!

Oh yeah, the neighbor fixed his fence after his dog almost got hit by a car. I noticed his fence and told him how glad I was that he was keeping his dog safe. He didn't tell me about the car incident another neighbor did. ;)

june

Edited by june