Liberating His Toys

Does anyone else have a hound with a compulsive need to liberate his/her toys?

Riley discovered toys early on, and it's been interesting watching him develop a "relationship" of sorts with them. At first he ripped their faces off. Now he's gentler with them, and likes to carry them around. Occasionally I corral the toys in their basket, usually when I trip over one. This is like a declaration of war, and it spurs Riley to immediately remove the toys from the basket and set them free... all around the room.

His most recent toy behavior is carrying them out into the dog run. I'm finding them in the mud, getting rained on and possibly peed on. When I bring the toys back inside, he stares at me as if he can't figure out why I would do such a thing. Soon I find them in the dog run again.

What do you suppose is going on in his mind?

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Guest tinams8

Lucy did this when she first came to us. She would drag all the toys and dog beds into the playroom, all the way across the house from where they belonged. Poor Sienna could never find her bed and would end up going in there to sleep! As soon as we put them back, she would start over. We ended up gating off the playroom for other reasons, and she completely stopped the liberation.

I wish that our foster grey, Joy, only liberated the toys!!

She has taken it upon herself to not only liberate the toys but the dirty laundry, clean laundry if not immediately put away, blankets on our beds, our pillows and anything else she can find. Be thankful it's just the toys....it could be worse. :lol

Mom to BridgeGreys~~STORM 07/99-02/08/11, VICKI 12/15/00-01/12/11, BAY 02/00-10/25/10 and CASHEW 10/99-2/23/10

and cats ~~ IRISH, MUMBLES, MUFFIN, TJ, PUNKIN and Bridge cats SARAH (07/29/97-07/07/06) and BRIE (04/11/96-01/22/12)

a very lively Whippet, OLIVIA and JAKE, the Iggy

Guest BlackandBrindle

Spudzie carries his toys everywhere. I often find them in the backyard. :lol

I give him a lot of white toys because then I know if they are peed upon. I actually just washed a load of them tonight. :P

Some of the pups just love their toys. Riley is probably just enjoying all the new and amazing things in his life. :)

Fletcher NEVER goes out the dog door without a toy in his mouth! Sallie often drags toys (and pillows, and blankets, and shoes, and...) outside too :rolleyes: They don't seem to mind when I bring them back in though. How else would they have something to take outside if their servant didn't bring the toys back in? :lol

When I bring the toys back inside, he stares at me as if he can't figure out why I would do such a thing. Soon I find them in the dog run again.
Romie does the same thing. :dunno I've given up trying to keep the toys inside -- I just try to gather them up before the lawn mower gets them.

My Baz used to try to take a toy out in the back yard sometimes. However, Eve would take the toy from him and march it right back inside.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Two of my girls try to take toys outside when I let them out. They've learned they have to give them to me before I'll let them out the door. When they come back in they stand and wait for me to hand them back to them! They have me well trained. :lol

june

Edited by june