Back For Another Surgery, Hopefully The Last

Guest greytkidsmom

Guest greytkidsmom

This has been a rather long story but hopefully we can draw it to a close soon.

It started with a pea-sized lump on Kebo's gumline next to his left upper canine tooth. His regular vet biopsied it and the pathology was benign.

2 months later, the lump had grown to the size of a grape and was getting in the way of his bite. It was ulcerated and bleeding and he had started to refuse his food.

The vet referred us to the surgeons at Virginia Tech who did a CT scan which showed a destructive bone lesion. Kebo then had a partial rostral maxillectomy where they removed the left front part of his upper jawbone including the left upper canine.

Pathology came back about a week later and it was a fibrosarcoma. They did not get clean margins. We got referred to radiation oncology at NC State since VA Tech doesn't have an oncology department. Radiation therapy was discussed but the consensus was that if they could do another surgery and get the remaining tumor with wide margins, that would be the best. He had a chest x-ray and lymph node aspirations that showed no metastatic spread. The surgeons looked at him and said they thought they could get it out but somehow it wasn't a formal consult and we were sent home to schedule another appointment later. (NC State is 3 hours away and DH and I both work.)

NC State had their pathologist review Kebo's slides because they couldn't read the report that VA Tech sent. Then they called and said that they thought that it wasn't fibrosarcoma but amelanotic melanoma. That makes a big difference in outcome and treatment so they did some additional stains which didn't rule in the melanoma but didn't rule it out. They didn't have enough tissue to do any more stains. So, he needs the surgery to get enough tissue to rule out melanoma.

We will drive back to NC State tomorrow for our surgical consult. They should see him Tuesday, keep him overnight, and do surgery on Wednesday. We expect that they will do a full rostral maxillextomy removing the front of the upper jaw to behind both canine teeth. He will have a droopy nose and an underbite but if they get it all he will be cancer free.

I can't wait for all of this to be over. It has been so frustrating for so many reasons, especially since Kebo gets so stressed riding in the car that he has to take xanax just to get him into the car. Kebo has recovered fully from the first surgery and is back to his melancholy self. He is our sweet hermit boy who spends most of his time upstairs in our bedroom coming down to let us know it is time to eat or to go out. Every time we come home, he runs to get his purple bear to show us what a good boy he is. In the backyard, he patrols the fence and occasionally races around giving us a glimpse of the good racer he used to be.

Whatever good thoughts you can throw our way would be appreciated. To say we are worried about him is an understatement.

p320854542-4.jpg

Poor Kebo. We will be thinking good thoughts for your boy(who sounds a lot like our boy Murray). We will look here for an update.

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

Sending prayers for Kebo for a smooth surgery tomorrow. I can only imagine how relieved you will be when the surgery is over.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

Sending good thoughts for Kebo's upcoming surgery. :hope

Then they called and said that they thought that it wasn't fibrosarcoma but amelanotic melanoma. That makes a big difference in outcome and treatment so they did some additional stains which didn't rule in the melanoma but didn't rule it out. They didn't have enough tissue to do any more stains. So, he needs the surgery to get enough tissue to rule out melanoma.

Did they contact VA Tech to see if they still had the original block of tissue saved to recut and make more slides? Most pathology departments save samples in case additional testing is needed. If they removed the bulk of the tumor with the first surgery and this next surgery is just to get better margins, the original sample may be the better source for additional testing. If there's still a good bit of the tumor left, this may not be an issue, but just a thought...

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Sending best wishes for you and your pupper.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest greytkidsmom

Sending good thoughts for Kebo's upcoming surgery. :hope

Then they called and said that they thought that it wasn't fibrosarcoma but amelanotic melanoma. That makes a big difference in outcome and treatment so they did some additional stains which didn't rule in the melanoma but didn't rule it out. They didn't have enough tissue to do any more stains. So, he needs the surgery to get enough tissue to rule out melanoma.

Did they contact VA Tech to see if they still had the original block of tissue saved to recut and make more slides? Most pathology departments save samples in case additional testing is needed. If they removed the bulk of the tumor with the first surgery and this next surgery is just to get better margins, the original sample may be the better source for additional testing. If there's still a good bit of the tumor left, this may not be an issue, but just a thought...

Tech should still have the tissue. I had them send slides to NC State and to OSU so I'm not sure how much is left. OSU said they thought it was fibrosarcoma. The primary intent of the surgery is to be curative if in fact it is fibrosarcoma. I have a feeling the melanoma finding may be a red herring - one of those "cannot exclude" things that pathologists and radiologists always include in their reports. In any event, we'll have them do the appropriate stains on the tissue they get and can ask for the original slides if there isn't enough. It won't really change our treatment plan for him (we don't think we would pursue chemo) but it will help us know how much time to expect with him.

It won't really change our treatment plan for him (we don't think we would pursue chemo) but it will help us know how much time to expect with him.

I really hope it is a fibrosarcoma and that the surgery is curative. With Kebo's travel anxieties, that would definitely be the best diagnosis. However, if it does end up being an amelanotic melanoma, I believe the melanoma vaccine may be an option - a safe alternative with some very promising results.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest greytkidsmom

It won't really change our treatment plan for him (we don't think we would pursue chemo) but it will help us know how much time to expect with him.

I really hope it is a fibrosarcoma and that the surgery is curative. With Kebo's travel anxieties, that would definitely be the best diagnosis. However, if it does end up being an amelanotic melanoma, I believe the melanoma vaccine may be an option - a safe alternative with some very promising results.

Thanks. We'll keep that in mind. Never thought I'd hope for a particular kind of cancer but we hope its fibrosarcoma too.

More good thoughts for Kebo! I hope the surgery goes well.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Very best wishes for your most beautiful boy. kiss1.gifgoodluck.gifclover.gifcandle.gifhope.gifgetwell.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest greytkidsmom

Tuesday update:

We made the 3-hour drive to Raleigh in about 5 hours this morning due to weather and the traffic said weather caused. Luckily we left early enough that we were only 1/2 hour late to the appointment. Kebo seemed to do pretty well with the ride. Gave him a pepcid with his xanax to try to fight of the stress colitis he got with the last surgery.

The surgeon was awesome. He was very nice and took lots of time explaining everything. He seemed very confident and competent. Tomorrow morning they will put Kebo under, do a CT scan, review the scan, call me, and then take him right on into surgery. He may only have to take more of the maxilla on the left side rather than the right side also. He will make the final decision based on the CT results. He is also going to have their dentist look at Kebo's lower canine since his "snaggle tooth" has rubbed his muzzle raw. If there is anything they can do with that tooth to prevent the rubbing they will.

The only sad thing is that he told us we could visit him anytime. When he was at Tech, we weren't allowed to visit and just anticipated the same thing with this surgery. We really couldn't get any time off from work so we had to leave him there alone. Before we left he was really leaning on his vet student so we know that he likes her and are sure she will give him lots of love in our absence.

Its a good thing I am working nights this week, don't think I would sleep anyway.

Thanks so much for your prayers and kind thoughts. They mean so much.

Sending lots of hugs to lonesome, worried person, and best thoughts for your sweetie's surgery tomorrow!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

It sounds like Kebo is heading down a path many greyhounds before him have gone: making his caretakers become absolutely besotted with him. wub.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis