Anything Like A *valium* For Hounds

As some of you know poor Buffy is TERRIFIED of the outside (that even includes the corridor outside of our apartment )

She is OK in the winter because there is less chance of meeting anyone or anything (except for snowblowers) but now that the weather is improving and people are starting to come out of hibernation she is regressing into the shaking quaking quivering little houndie from last year :(

DH just called to say that they were steam cleaning the carpets in the hallway, the doorman was vacuuming in the lobby, the street cleaner was going by AND there was a commotion across the street with 2 guys talking loudly. He had to pick Buffy up and carry her inside - she became literally paralyzed with fear.

We've tried melatonin, rescue remedy, clomicalm, DAP and prozac. Nothing worked and the prozac made her worse.

We tried enticing her with treats (you try walking outside with cooked chicken livers in your pocket) No way - she is not interested in anything except retreating to the safety of her house

Is there a prescription (or not) remedy that does not have to build up in her system, that can work within 1/2 hour to an hour, that will calm her fears (at least to get her outside), but that she can also take on a daily basis?

I feel SO badly for her. She is such a trip inside the house- a real character. Outside she is a very slight shadow of herownself.

Thoughts?

Here's a short article on veterinary use of Xanax. Valium can also be used in dogs. You'd need to discuss long term use and any potential side effects with your vet. Generally, stuff like this should be used short term while you are working on training/desensitizing, etc. Our group has used Xanax with thunder-phobic dogs before with some success.

Good luck!

Edited: here is a better article.

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Thanks - I printed out the article on Xanax and will bring it to my vet.

C - any info on ativan dosages?

According to the vet here, max is 30mg and that's the same for a 70# or a 60# GH. That max is used for a severe phobia so I would guess you would need less, but obviously, it should be discussed with your vet

Edited by CaliforniaGreys

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

According to the vet here, max is 30mg and that's the same for a 70# or a 60# GH. That max is used for a severe phobia so I would guess you would need less, but obviously, it should be discussed with your vet

We've got Bree on Xanax. Poor little thing is just SO scared of everything! We also have something called Calming Moments, pill form for those extra special times! Seems to work. Good luck, I truly understand!

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

Guest KennelMom

We've used valium with good success...Champ use to take it for thunderstorms. It was the only time he got stressed out, which could cause breathing problems with his laryngeal paralysis. Also here and there from time to time with different dogs. We keep it on hand most of the time...We've always had good results from it. Not sure about daily long term use though...

You know Cash is on Xanax and has been for nearly four years. She was using the max dosage plus (4 1/2 mgs a day) taking 1 1/2 mgs three times a day. I've begun decreasing her dosage over the last six months and she seems to be doing OK. Of course, we've added two girl sisters (one older and one younger than Cash) too.

If you can, if you haven't, you might want to consult a certified canine behaviorist. Make sure they have the ability and training to prescribe controlled substances. You might need a different SSRI than prozac, or you might need to use a combination of drugs for her. Or a different class of anti-anxiety med. Not every drug works the same for every dog.

One other suggestion - Have you tried putting cotton balls in her ears? Sometimes I think with Cash it's the loud banging sounds that bug her the worst.

Poor Buffy. Hope you can find something that works for her.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I've had success with Carl on Valium. I used to have to give it in conjunction w/clomipramine (when it was building up in his system), had to give it 1/2 hour before I'd go to work. He's off the other med, but I keep some Valium on hand for long car rides as he is pretty claustrophobic and is a terrible passenger...standing, panting, drooling. He's miserable and it's unsafe as I can't see around him when I'm driving since he stand the whole time.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest d0ggiem0mma

I've used several drugs with different dogs with a lot of success. We tried Valium for Maggie (up to 40mg) but she didn't seem to like it, made her feel woozie I think. Maggie now takes 1mg Xanax 30 minutes before storms (re-dosed as needed every 4-6 hours for long storms.) Guinness used to take 2mg Xanax before I went to work for separation anxiety. A previous dog, Brodie, was on Clorazepate which is longer acting but I don't remember the dosage.

Greysmom had a greyt suggestion- see a certified behaviorist!!! They did a lot of extra work, internships, residencies, and have the experience with these meds that other vets don't have. It's not like antibiotics... they really need to know what they're doing.

Guest BrianRke

30 mg of Ativan? 30mg of Ativan would kill a horse.

Edited by BrianRke

That should have read 3mg...however, for the record, 30mg would not kill a horse, and I have used the 10mg spread out over 12 hours and no one is dead in my house. Not that I know of anyway and everyone here weighs much less than a horse

Edited by CaliforniaGreys

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest BrianRke

That should have read 3mg...however, for the record, 30mg would not kill a horse, and I have used the 10mg spread out over 12 hours and no one is dead in my house. Not that I know of anyway and everyone here weighs much less than a horse

Lorazepam tablets and syrups are administered by mouth only. The tablets contain 0.5 mg, 1 mg, or 2 mg lorazepam, with some differences between countries. Lorazepam tablets of the Ativan brand also contain lactose, microcrystalline cellulose, polacrilin, magnesium stearate, and colouring agents (indigo carmine—E132—in blue tablets and tartrazine—E102— in yellow tablets).

Ativan (lorazepam) starting dosages in adults being treated for anxiety are usually 1-3 mg daily, divided into 2-3 doses. A typical maintenance dose is 2-6 mg daily, taken in divided doses, with a maximum dose of 10 mg per day. The usual amounts prescribed for insomnia are 2-4 mg taken at bedtime.

This medication is available in the following forms:

•Lorazepam oral solution - 2 mg/ml

•Lorazepam sublingual tablets - 0.5 mg, 1mg, 2 mg

•Lorazepam tablets - 0.5 mg, 1mg, 2 mg

Taking 30mg of ativan would be considered a LETHAL overdose.

• 2 weeks later...