No Chemo Today

Guest juliagulia630

Guest juliagulia630

I'm a little frustrated. Had our 2 week follow up visit and James' suture line is still infected after 5 days of Keflex. They put us on Clavamox and delayed his chemo one week. The oncologist we saw today mentioned that she was not sure what this delay would do for James' long term prognosis. Seriously?! Could you make me feel any worse? I am hanging on by a thread with this whole cancer thing that I lost it during the appointment.

Has anyone else had bumps in the already crater filled road? Guess the 5 hour round trip car ride has made me a little bitter.

Been there! It's very frustrating and scary that the chemo has to be put off.

Dude had a very bad infection in his amp site requiring another surgery and two more weeks of every fourth day bandage changes in the hospital. They had to leave the wound open and pack it with antibiotic soaked gauze, which needed to be taken out and changed. Fortunately, Dude was very good and he didn't need any extra sedation for the changes, but still.... Then there was another minor surgery to close the second surgery site. He came through it fine and his incision looks great now.

Did they culture the infection to make sure they were giving the right antibiotic? Dude was on two different ones that specifically targeted th type of infection he had for two weeks.

The good news is, I have heard from people that having a infection significantly decreases the progress of the disease. No one knows why, but I chose to think about this "set back" as a good thing.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest juliagulia630

They didn't do a culture, I guess b/c it wasn't draining. The skin around these 5 sutures looks more bruised and are tender. They left those stitches in just in case the wound opened but the edges look good to me!

Thanks Chris for your post. I feel better and not alone.

We were lucky with Charlie that we did not have any delays however I believe several others have encountered this where the Chemo is delayed a week or so. Gracy is one of those pups and she is doing very well. Try not to get too upset however I can understand with that long of a drive. That was one of the reasons we hunted around close to home for a vet who would do the Chemo for us and luckily we found one.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Diamond had an infection too. She was on a broad spectrum antibiotic. They did a culture and it was pseudomonas eroginosa. The antibiotic she was on didn't work on that bug, so they switched it to an antibiotic that would work. She cleared up instantly.

If she has an infection, they really should culture it because it takes days for it to grow and be identified.

Diamond started her chemo late too.

Julia, I don't know if you're friends with Melissa, a fellow GW adopter, but her girl Abbie had a lot of trouble post amputation, including infection and necrosis and they had to amputate more of her thigh muscle. Melissa joked it was a butt infection :) At any rate, she got over all that and is doing spectacularly well. She's more than 6 months post-DX and is showing no signs of slowing down :) If you look at our adopter's yahoo site archives, you should be able to search her posts.

Hoping this bump in the road passes quickly for you and James :grouphug

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Honestly, it seems like more often than not lately the first round of chemo is being delayed for a lot of pups on here. You are definitely not alone. Hang in there. The post amputation recovery seems to be filled with a lot of ups and downs, but so is choosing the palliative care route. It's just a very tough disease to deal with. You have a lot of moral support on this board.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."