Lepto Treatment

3/10

Lazer feels BETTER!!! :clap

we changed the antibiotic to Doxycicline ~ it is the right antibiotic for him!

no more fever

his eyes are bright and happy

he is out with the other two grey's running in the yard this morning!!! :banana

still waiting on the VF test results, but i'm going to just be positive, and assume it will be negative!

now i just need to get him interested in eating again. hopefully this will happen when he's off the antibiotics.

:gh_bow

my boy is better!!!

:)

3/8

Lazer isn't getting better. He still has a fever, not eating his meals and his eyes look sad and helpless. He is still getting sub-q fluids every other day.

yesterday he showed interest in Ensure,, so he had that.

I have several emails out to greyhound experts, and am waiting for second opinions. I just wonder if my vet it is missing something "greyhound" related.

my vet has today off, and i will be calling tomorrow for a follow up.

3/5

Lazer ate his dinner tonight willingly! this is a first in about 2 weeks :)

he had sub-q fluids this morning, so i think that has really helped!!!

last night he had a high fever again and a very grumbly tummy, so please keep your fingers crossed that tonight is better...

Thanks for keeping us in your thoughts!

lazer and lorinda

3/4

For the last 3 weeks, my boy Lazer has been shedding TERRIBLY! MORE than spring shedding,,, clumps and itchy and scaly... He's depressed... he looks pitiful (in the eyes), tired all the time, off his food, and really hot all over his body!!

Wednesday this I took him to the vet.

he had a temp. of 104!!, we started him on cephalexin, and we started antihistamine (assuming allergies) - he had allergies last year this time

i gave him 1/2 bag of sub-Q fluids,,,, he did feel better after that, and it was absorbed in about 3 hours.

we did blood test for thyroid and tick born diseases

Neg. tick diseases

thyroid - normal

blood work mostly normal -- liver was off: then the urine testing: protien high, billirubin high

My vet went to an hypothesis of Leptospirosis or Valley fever (we were in phx. over christmas)

changed the antibiotics to Amoxicilin

Everything i read about Lepto is you give Doxicyclin (which if my research is right, is the same one for VF)

anyone out there have an opinion on the anitbiotic?

I am going to call my vet again tomorrow to quiz her a little more about this.

we haven't done the test for Lepto yet.. we will probably do that, but we need to treat this problem,, and i want to be sure to be on the right antibiotic!!!

Thanks for your help!

Edited by 3DogNite

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Any of the"cillin's" are used for lepto-- amoxicillin, doxycillin and ampicillin are used

Just wanted to clarify that these are two distinct classes of antibiotics. Doxycycline is a tetracycline antibiotic, amoxicillin (like ampicillin, penicillin) is a beta-lactam antibiotic. They are generally not used interchangeably.

I think that amoxicillin is what's usually given for lepto, but I would want to run the lepto test so you know for sure what you're dealing with. I don't know anything about valley fever except that it's a fungal, not bacterial, disease. I would think that would need to be treated with an antimycotic (antifungal) rather than an antibiotic :dunno...another reason why you might want to do more testing to be sure.

Hope your boy feels better soon!

Edited by greygeek

gallery_21712_3317_21715.jpg
Merlin (Heathers Wizard), Mina (Where's Rebecca), and Mae the Galga - three crazy dogs in the house of M

Agreed with the above post-- I wrote doxycillin (verse the proper spelling) just to make a point-guess I should have clarified--however-I have seen all 3 types of ab's used to target the lepto bug. I still question why not further testing.

My angel Hobbes had lepto, which nearly took his life. He was extremely sick from it and spent over a week at the vets and suffered permanent damage to gis kidneys. I pray your boy doesn't have it, its a nasty bug.

Hobbes was on amoxicillin for the initial treatment then put on doxycyclin after about 2 week of amoxicillin but didn't handle it well so was put on a different antibiotic but the name escapes me. I think it started with a t. From everything I read that is standard treatment for lepto.

If Lazer has already been put on amoxicillin a lepto test will come back negitive, so you will have to do a titre to see if he has formed antibodies to lepto or not.

What does his blood work look like? Hobbes ' liver and kidney values were through the roof which was the reason my vet suspected lepto initially.

I hope you figure out what Lazer has quickly and he feels better really soon.

Edited by greytluck

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

What does his blood work look like? Hobbes ' liver and kidney values were through the roof which was the reason my vet suspected lepto initially.

I'm sorry for your loss of Hobbes! our hearts never completely heal when they leave us.

Did Hobbes have vomiting and diarrhea? Lazer hasn't had either of these things thankfully.

Lazers kidney/liver values are "off" compared to the normal everything else ~ i am going to request a copy of the blood work, i forgot to get it from them yesterday.

this along with the fever, and other symptoms lead us to this diagnosis.

he has already been on the cephalexin for 3 days,, changed to the amoxicillan yesterday.... i'm hoping he feels better soon.

Hobbes probably went to Tetracyclin ~ i read about that one too..

I gave Lazer 1/2 bag of fluids this morning, after a night of obvious fever. Last time we did this he did perk up, and feel better.

He is getting pepcid half hour before i try to feed him. he reluctantly will try to eat.... not all of his meal at once,, and i can persuade him to finish it . :) then comes the amoxicilan.

he is a good patient,, he just doesn't feel good, poor guy!!!

Thank you for your insight!

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

My boy Sam was positive for lepto in the fall of 2008. I would definitely do the lepto test. Sam was on doxy for several months to take care of the lepto. Our vet suspected lepto due to Sam urinating a lot and when he did go he went for several minutes at a time. His liver and kidney values were also off. He will turn 6 on March 14 and is doing great! Good luck and hope the poor boy feels better soon.

I'm sorry for your loss of Hobbes! our hearts never completely heal when they leave us.

Did Hobbes have vomiting and diarrhea? Lazer hasn't had either of these things thankfully.

Lazers kidney/liver values are "off" compared to the normal everything else ~ i am going to request a copy of the blood work, i forgot to get it from them yesterday.

this along with the fever, and other symptoms lead us to this diagnosis.

he has already been on the cephalexin for 3 days,, changed to the amoxicillan yesterday.... i'm hoping he feels better soon.

Hobbes probably went to Tetracyclin ~ i read about that one too..

I gave Lazer 1/2 bag of fluids this morning, after a night of obvious fever. Last time we did this he did perk up, and feel better.

He is getting pepcid half hour before i try to feed him. he reluctantly will try to eat.... not all of his meal at once,, and i can persuade him to finish it . :) then comes the amoxicilan.

he is a good patient,, he just doesn't feel good, poor guy!!!

Thank you for your insight!

Hobbes never had any diarrhea but was vomitting initially. He was clearly very nauseated as he wouldn't eat anything (not even a lick) for around 5 days. I'm glad to hear Lazer is eating something, even with persuasion its still a good sign.

There are so many different strains of lepto and every dog handles it differently I'm sure there is no one textbook presentation of it.

Hobbes was on iv fluids for a week and antibiotics for a good 2 months. Pepcid became his best friend.

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

update post 1

Sounds like it is worth doing some more testing. Sending prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Lazer feels BETTER!!! :clap

the Doxycicline is the right antibiotic for him!

no more fever

his eyes are bright and happy

he is out with the other two grey's running in the yard this morning!!! :banana

now i just need to get him interested in eating again. hopefully this will happen when he's off the antibiotics.

:gh_bow

my boy is better!!!

:)

Yeah Lazer!!!

Try giving him a 10mg pepcid (or generic) 30-45 minutes before mealtimes. Helps with the antibiotics which upsets their stomach.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Oh, wonderful news! Will say that doxy totally killed my girl's appetite & managed to give me a glimpse of the bottom of my senior boy's until then bottomless pit. Both were being treated for Lyme & neither had any appetite issues prior to starting doxy. Senior never completely turned up a meal but he did give me a look like, "Can't you do any better than this?" Venus though ended up needing a very low dose of metoclopramide (Reglan) to keep her eating. Meaning do not be discouraged if the appetite reminds an issue throughout treatment. If all else looks good then it may be related to the doxy as much as anything else.

Hope Lazer's appetite picks up soon even if he ends up giving you my Luke's disappointed, unappreciative glances before finally tucking in.

Lorinda, that is GREAT news! Glad you found something that's working. Seeing him running with the other guys must make you feel wonderful.

Keep it up, Lazer. We'll keep the Power Ranger suits on just in case.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown