Sara Update - Went For 2Nd Opinion

Guest Yankeegreyhound

Guest K9Cookies

I think my husband would have a similar reaction, so I feel for you. I think I would ask him to call and speak with the vet. I bet that would make a difference.

You have only a couple of options, and you're doing what you feel is right. It may be rough for a bit, but you're giving her a chance. :grouphug

Guest MnMDogs

I'm so so sorry you're going through this. My only question would be have you had chest films done to make sure there are no mets? I don't know if it's as much of a concern with this type of tumor. But whenever we consider surgery for our old man, we get chest films just to make sure there's nothing going on that we don't know about.

Guest Yankeegreyhound

I'm so so sorry you're going through this. My only question would be have you had chest films done to make sure there are no mets? I don't know if it's as much of a concern with this type of tumor. But whenever we consider surgery for our old man, we get chest films just to make sure there's nothing going on that we don't know about.

Yes, we did this and it was all clear. They also did an xray of her leg and the tumor is not attached to the bone. Thank goodness.

And good news, my husband is coming around. He wanted to talk to the vet, which is understandable but she's off today. (She's off tomorrow too but meeting me there anyway). So, I suggested he call our greyhound guru at the group we got her from. She's seen so many of these and knows our Sara very well. I'm sure she can answer his questions.

My husband just texted me and said "I'm sorry, I can't do it, please understand"

I really don't want to sound rude or insensitive, but what is your husband proposing? That Sara be put to sleep? Doing nothing is not a humane option; the de-bulking surgery does not appear to be a viable option. That leaves amputation or euthanasia...unless there's some other solution I've overlooked. If Sara is in good health for the surgery and has no mobility issues making her a bad candidate for amputation...

Take care of Sara and yourself. I wish you smooth sailing as you make your decision.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

There is no one "right" decision. It certainly sounds as though you have made this decision from both your heart and your head. You have made it based on what you believe is the best solution for Sara's well-being and comfort. Many good thoughts and prayers for a good outcome for Sara and all of you.

You can always have Fabio talk to Leann. She had a tripod dog. I can send you her phone and cell if you need it. Just let me know. Maybe it would make him feel better to talk to someone he knows.

We adopted out a tripod boy last year. His mom can't believe what a wild man he is and doesn't think she'd have been able to handle him with 4 legs if it made him any more active. He also didn't have Osteo, just a bad break. It was much better for him to lose the leg and get to enjoy his life rather than have it end at 18 months.

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05

Guest fringepup

Oh how I wish I could offer you some good advice. I can only imagine how scared you are right now and I know you only want what's best for Sara. With all of the love that you all have for her she is sure to get well and be happy and pain free in no time. It is great that your husband will talk to Sara's vet. I am sure she can ease some of his fears. Please hang in there and stay in touch. Kiss that sweet girl for us and we will keep you all in our prayers for as long as you need. :kiss2

Yankeegreyhound: Got your email.............. so sorry to hear this. Tough decision. You will do what is best for Sara. Men are WIMPS! Will keep you in our thoughts tomorrow and will send you an email in a few days. PROMISE!!!!!!

Hugs to you and the family, give Sara extra scritches and a few hugs from us. Our heart will be with you all day, email as soon as you can. love to all. B-

This is a tough situation, but we hope that Sara will soon be amazing all of her friends and family with her 3-legged zoomies.

Sending lots of extra ear scritches.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest Yankeegreyhound

Yankeegreyhound: Got your email.............. so sorry to hear this. Tough decision. You will do what is best for Sara. Men are WIMPS! Will keep you in our thoughts tomorrow and will send you an email in a few days. PROMISE!!!!!!

Hugs to you and the family, give Sara extra scritches and a few hugs from us. Our heart will be with you all day, email as soon as you can. love to all. B-

Awww B!!! Thank you so much for your post! I'll e-mail you when I get to work tomorrow.

Guest bigorangedog

Yes, we did this and it was all clear. They also did an xray of her leg and the tumor is not attached to the bone. Thank goodness.

And good news, my husband is coming around. He wanted to talk to the vet, which is understandable but she's off today. (She's off tomorrow too but meeting me there anyway). So, I suggested he call our greyhound guru at the group we got her from. She's seen so many of these and knows our Sara very well. I'm sure she can answer his questions.

If your husband has an Qs for me, I'd be happy to answer too. But I'm sure Leann will be able to help.

And if you haven't already seen it, watch THIS VIDEO of a back-leg amputee named Jerry Murray. :colgate

THIS ONE is good too.

If you go ahead with the surgery, please ask the vet to get Amicar.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000450/

Dr. Couto recommends this for major surgery.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Wanted to let you know that you and Sarah and your husband too have been in my thoughts. I wanted you to also know that I support your decision to amputate. As far as your husband's concerns go concerning quality of life as a tripawd well I think enough has been posted to know this should not be a factor. If her will to live is strong think about what wild animals have done when caught in traps. They have gnawed off their own legs to free themselves because of their desire to live. You stated his fear that she wouldn't make it through the surgery, well there is that slim chance, but the end result of being PTS are definite. With surgery she has a chance.

Guest Liz_in_PA

And if you haven't already seen it, watch THIS VIDEO of a back-leg amputee named Jerry Murray. :colgate

THIS ONE is good too.

my gosh, Jerry's fast! And in that second video, he's jumping up on one foot and squeaking at the same time.

I wish you the best over the next two weeks.