Transitioning To Sleeping Alone

Guest DarkHorse

Guest DarkHorse

Ever since I got the dogs, I've had them sleeping in the same room as me, with the exception of the first two nights they were home. Those two nights, they were so bad for whining, crying and fighting that I brought them into my bedroom.

In May, I'm moving back in with my parents for a year for my Master's program. There is nowhere near enough space in what will be my bedroom for the dogs to have their beds and with the amount they whine and the number of times they get up and move around in a night when they're forced to sleep on the dog beds that do fit... it's barely tolerable for a weekend and wouldn't be with early morning classes. There's really two options: get them sleeping alone on their cozy bed in the back room or get them sleeping alone on the dog beds in the kitchen. The first gives them more space and comfort (and easy access to the backyard)and I could keep my desk in there and spend time there during the day but as there are heating pipes going straight up to my parents' room and my brother's room and my own would be right next to them, the dogs would have to be quiet. The second option would give them a bit more leeway in terms of noise made but would obviously be less convenient and cozy.

So, has anyone ever transitioned their dogs from sleeping in the bedroom to outside of it? How did you do it? How long did they take to get used to it (and stop whining/barking/fighting)? I have two months before I move and I can put them and their bed in the office to work on it, but that is still just a wall away from someone else's bedroom and therefore they still couldn't be too loud.

ETA: My parents have a lab who is quite comfortable being alone at night without whining so he might be able to sleep in the same room if that's an asset.

Edited by DarkHorse

Guest sheila

Are you talking about keeping the dogs in a single room at night as in the door is shut and that is where they have to stay? If so, I have no clue. My dogs are allowed free roam of the house and there are dog beds in the LR, BR and computer room and they just settle where they are most comfortable. They move around from room to room most of the day. At night Jane normally sleeps on a dog bed in my room and Billy takes the couch in the LR.

If they have to stay in a room by themselves they might be more comfortable if you can gate them in rather than close the door. Many dogs really object to being in a room by themselves with the door closed. Other than that I don't have any suggestions.

june

Are you sure they won't fit in your room? When 2 greyhounds and I stayed with my parents between houses, we all fit in my very small childhood bedroom. Single bed, small dresser, 2 large dog beds. Next to zero floor space left, just a narrow path to the door. Couldn't open the dresser without moving a dog bed, had to be a little careful getting out of my bed, but it worked fine and pups were content.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

felix can be a royal pain in bed. this winter was hell, he was cold even w/ a coat and blankets and he learned how to open the gate to the bedrooms. yes, we are gated in! there is a hallway and 2 steps leading up to the living/dining room where the dog beds are located. we could not keep him out of bed and i refuse to sleep w/ the door closed.so i ended up setting up the crate again( :unsure and putting a dog bed and 3 blankets in it. covered it w/ a wool blanket and kept him crated w/ a down vet on to make sure he was warm. it was a couple of nights of moaning(he is pretty verbal) and he "got it".after 2 months of crating and he is able to hang on one of the dog beds in the living room and we changed the latch on the gate.felix was crying at the gate when we first changed the latch and still hadn't set up the crate. when we do let felix in bed(in the morning)it's 77lbs of dead weight on top of me and he refuses to move.

so, i would say 2 or 3 nights and have a plant spray at your side, just incase.

Edited by cleptogrey

Guest DarkHorse
What kind of noise are you talking about?

When they were in their own room when I first got them, it was whimpering, whining, growling, snapping, yelping and a bit of howling. The fighting noises were likely because they were new to each other (very rare now), but the whimpering, whining and howling are what I'm concerned about. A little noise here and there and moving around isn't a problem, but a lot of vocalizations will wake the entire house.

Are you talking about keeping the dogs in a single room at night as in the door is shut and that is where they have to stay? If so, I have no clue. My dogs are allowed free roam of the house and there are dog beds in the LR, BR and computer room and they just settle where they are most comfortable. They move around from room to room most of the day. At night Jane normally sleeps on a dog bed in my room and Billy takes the couch in the LR.

I could baby gate them in rather than shutting the door, but they would have to stay in the one room for the night. My parents' place is not a very good set-up at all for them, because there's a lot of doors and halls (and very creaky floors) leading from one area to another. The only place they could in theory roam to would be the room I'd be sleeping in, but I'd think that would lead to more whining at me and maybe even Dexter banging himself against the bedd

Are you sure they won't fit in your room? When 2 greyhounds and I stayed with my parents between houses, we all fit in my very small childhood bedroom. Single bed, small dresser, 2 large dog beds. Next to zero floor space left, just a narrow path to the door. Couldn't open the dresser without moving a dog bed, had to be a little careful getting out of my bed, but it worked fine and pups were content.

They have a twin bed to themselves (yes, very spoiled) and there's definitely no way I can fit that in. Getting two Costco dog beds in is a challenge as it is and I've only got a bed, a dresser and a bookshelf in there now. I won't even be able to have a desk in there. I think the room is 8' x 7', with a 2' cut out on one wall just big enough so that the bed fits in. I can't open the dresser drawers all the way because it's right at the foot of the bed and I've got about 3' between the bed and the door path/bookshelf, which is where I fit the two dog beds (squishing them in there).

Guest DarkHorse

Know what, it won't work at all. They will be awful loud. Your best bet is to just send them both to my house for a year :lol

:lol Then you'll just have Bella whining about how horrible and klutzy Dexter is and how Araley's a snob! :lol

I guess I don't understand why there can't be dogs beds throughout the house (including what will fit in your room) and the dogs can wander about and choose where they sleep. :dunno If there are rooms you don't want them in at night, you could gate them off or close the door.

If that truly isn't an option, then I would start by moving the bed you use for your pups right now to right outside your doorway. Gradually move it farther and farther away. If you need to, put a babygate up in your bedroom doorway and prepare yourself for a sleepless night or two, maybe.

I don't know, I understand you're in a tough situation b/c you need to live with your parents, but I think forcing dogs to sleep separately is asking a lot of most of them. Dogs like to sleep with their pack and that includes you. Is there a hallway leading to your bedroom in your parents' house. Could you gate the hallway off and put their bed there so they are much closer to you?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest LindsaySF
and I've got about 3' between the bed and the door path/bookshelf, which is where I fit the two dog beds (squishing them in there).

Three feet is plenty of space for 2 dog beds. :D Seriously, I have a decent-sized room, but I cram 8+ dogs in there every night. Certain dogs (Sophie, Lily, Cody, fosters) are crated, so their crates need to fit also. I have so little floor space left that I have to step ON dog beds to get around (makes going to the bathroom in the middle of the night lots of fun lol.gif). I have a bed, a nightstand, and a TV stand, that's it. (No dresser). The dogs might be a bit cramped, but if you have enough floor space to walk, IMO you have room for small dog beds. :) They can sleep on their twin bed during the day in another room.

My dogs have always slept in my room with me (we have crying and screaming otherwise rolleyes.gif) so I don't have much advice for keeping them quiet in another room. Aside from doing alone training and the usual stuff you would do when you leave the house that is. I also liked the suggestion of starting their beds in the hallway and slowly moving them farther away each night, you could try that.

~Lindsay~

No help here. Summit chooses to sleep alone if there is a better bed. Last night I left his crate door open, but was still waiting for my BF to come to bed so the bedroom door was still open. Summit got up out of his crate and went to lay on the couch. BF came in and shut the door... locking Summit out. Didn't hear a peep out of him. He was still cuddled up on the couch this morning when I got up. I guess comfort trumps the pack. lol

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest Sunset123

We have an itty-bitty bedroom, and every night I move the dog-bed from the living room to the bedroom. The dog-bed takes up ALL of the floor space, but I don't need it while I'm sleeping. You might be able to do that.

am i the only person who does not sleep w/ their dogs? :dunno

sounds like at least one of them will share your bed. give it a try and just remember to talk to your parents, they are human and will help you figure things out if you ask(speaking as a parent of a daughter w/ a dog- who will be staying here for a month and a half).

Guest mcsheltie

We have an itty-bitty bedroom, and every night I move the dog-bed from the living room to the bedroom. The dog-bed takes up ALL of the floor space, but I don't need it while I'm sleeping. You might be able to do that.

This is what we do too. Our room is wall to wall at night.

I have one who ALWAYS sleeps with me. The other two may sleep on the dog beds, the twin bed in the other room or on the couches during the night. Sometimes I end up with two in bed with me. Usually once everyone settles down I don't hear from them again until morning. I know the one who sleeps with me would be very unhappy if I made her leave the room.

june

Guest TBSFlame

I have dog beds all over the house and they sleep where they want to sleep and it changes from night to night. Riley and Memmie always sleep with me and sometimes Star. Fairy is now sleeping on the dog bed right beside my bed. Sometimes all of them sleep in the bedroom and there is not enough room for them but they sleep there anyway. Some nights I just get up and go to the living room sofa, but very soon, Riley and Memmie show up and try to get on the sofa with me. No, I do not sleep well at night. Last year we were at a greyhound event and in a hotel room with two double beds. DH and I were forced to sleep together because Riley and Jeremy were sleeping on the other bed. lol.

Guest DarkHorse
guess I don't understand why there can't be dogs beds throughout the house (including what will fit in your room) and the dogs can wander about and choose where they sleep. :dunno If there are rooms you don't want them in at night, you could gate them off or close the door.

I don't know, I understand you're in a tough situation b/c you need to live with your parents, but I think forcing dogs to sleep separately is asking a lot of most of them. Dogs like to sleep with their pack and that includes you. Is there a hallway leading to your bedroom in your parents' house. Could you gate the hallway off and put their bed there so they are much closer to you?

It's mostly because of my parents' rules, which they have already bent some. Dogs (and cats) previously were NOT allowed outside of the kitchen/front hall area at night. They were never allowed in the back hall/bedroom area until the door to the backyard was put in and even then, it was only for long enough to go out/come in. The fact that I got them to let me have the dogs in the back with me was a huge step and them letting me use the back room is another. They definitely won't let me give my dogs free run of the house because of the very expensive carpets, furniture and antiques that my dogs could ruin while unsupervised.

I couldn't fit the dogs' bed in the hallway without blocking it completely and as my brother's room is at one end and the bathroom at the other, that wouldn't work. Like the bedroom, the hallway is tiny. Really, the whole house is except for the upstairs, where there still aren't any animals allowed.

Three feet is plenty of space for 2 dog beds. :D Seriously, I have a decent-sized room, but I cram 8+ dogs in there every night. Certain dogs (Sophie, Lily, Cody, fosters) are crated, so their crates need to fit also. I have so little floor space left that I have to step ON dog beds to get around (makes going to the bathroom in the middle of the night lots of fun Posted Image). I have a bed, a nightstand, and a TV stand, that's it. (No dresser). The dogs might be a bit cramped, but if you have enough floor space to walk, IMO you have room for small dog beds. :) They can sleep on their twin bed during the day in another room.

The problem is that they HATE sleeping on their dog beds and will wake me up at LEAST three or four times a night if I make them sleep on them. That's currently what I do when I'm visiting my parents for the weekend and I always come back home exhausted because I've not got a decent night of sleep for the whole weekend. I'm willing to put up with it for the weekend, but I'm going to be going into a Master's program that is known for taking over lives, so I can't really have the dogs waking me up with loud (enough to be heard over earplugs) whining, banging into the side of the bed and trying to jump on me.

sounds like at least one of them will share your bed. give it a try and just remember to talk to your parents, they are human and will help you figure things out if you ask(speaking as a parent of a daughter w/ a dog- who will be staying here for a month and a half).

That's another one that's definitely against the parental rules. Even if it weren't, there's barely space for me on that bed, never mind a dog. My parents have already compromised a number of their rules, but they've stated that some things are still in effect, like no animals in the dining/living rooms at night, no animals allowed upstairs, and no noises that are going to keep them awake at nights. If those are broken, they're likely to tell me to either move out or get rid of the dogs. They're really no easier/more considerate than your average landlord: they're giving me as much leeway as they are because they're tired of bragging about me doing well in school and want to start bragging about me doing well in the work world. That outranks the less important rules (no dogs in the back) but not the ones that actually matter to them.

Statements of fact:

1) The dogs' bed can only fit in the back room

2) The dogs will not sleep quietly on dog beds

3) I can't give them free run

4) I need them to sleep quietly

5) I can't sleep in the back room

With these being given, can people PLEASE stop telling me that I've got to let them have free run, put the bed somewhere else or go without sleep for 12 months and start actually suggesting ways to get them to sleep quietly without the bed they will sleep on in the room with me? Is the conclusion that I have to come to that it is just impossible?

I know Araley is a bit of a drama queen and diva, but I think even she can accept the new norm. It sucks that your parents have so many rules regarding the dogs. We took Summit to visit Jarrett's folks over Christmas and he essentially had free run of the house while we were home. Their original plan was no dog on the living room carpet (it's white) but that lasted about 2 minutes. And they're really not dog people... he's the first dog that has been in that house while they've owned it. Jarrett's grandfather built it, and I think he had a Doberman while the kids were super young, but as long as Jarrett has lived in that house there has never been a dog in it. So big step for them. But I digress.

Is there somewhere that you can put their bed right now that is outside of your bedroom (I'm assuming you have two beds in your room right now, yours and theirs)? I would start with that. They're going to throw a fit the first couple of nights but I think you're just going to have to deal with it and ignore them. If you ignore them strictly for a couple of nights I would think they would get the picture and accept their new place.

Or you can move their bed and put dog beds down on the floor for them and again ignore their crying and carrying on for a couple of nights. New puppies accept and resign themselves to sleeping in crates, I'm sure with the same discipline you can convince Princess Araley that the world is not going to end.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

With these being given, can people PLEASE stop telling me that I've got to let them have free run, put the bed somewhere else or go without sleep for 12 months and start actually suggesting ways to get them to sleep quietly without the bed they will sleep on in the room with me? Is the conclusion that I have to come to that it is just impossible?

I already did. I suggested you put their beds right outside of your room where you are living now and start gradually moving them further and further away. See my post above.

Whether it's impossible or not depends on both your dogs and how good you are at ignoring the vocalization that may occur while you transition them to sleeping away from you before you move.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

What if you were to now sleep with ear plugs for now (putting them in a different room)? I know, sounds crazy. But if they get use to the fact that mom will not wake up if we whine, then maybe they will sleep.

Greyhound Collars : www.collartown.ca

Maggie (the human servant), with Miss Bella, racing name "A Star Blackieto"

13380965654_dba9a12b29.jpg

Guest crazy4greys

There's really two options: get them sleeping alone on their cozy bed in the back room or get them sleeping alone on the dog beds in the kitchen. The first gives them more space and comfort (and easy access to the backyard)and I could keep my desk in there and spend time there during the day but as there are heating pipes going straight up to my parents' room and my brother's room and my own would be right next to them, the dogs would have to be quiet.

Can you make the first choice your bedroom for the year if you don't get them transitioned to not sleeping with you? What is in there now besides pipes?

My dogs don't sleep in my room, because I don't have enough room in there for 5 dogs. They are quite happy sleeping downstairs on dog beds, the couch, recliner and crates. The only peep they make is when the cat jumps over the baby gate to make them bark so he can get fed when I get up to quiet the dogs at 5 am :rolleyes:

You should not base you perception of facts on your dog's initial reaction in strange circumstances. Those being their first days with you or trying to use smaller beds they are really asked to use in accommodations they are rarely asked to share such as your parents house. You have asked for your parents to adjust their usual lives & rules to accommodate you. You will be asking your dogs to adjust to accommodate you. In return you must also make some accommodations. You will have to just deal with the noise initially as your dogs adjust. Starting now while still in your current home will help & is the obvious choice.

My ideas were already mentioned so I will just second the nominations to start preparing now. Put their twin bed mattress in another room. Put very comfy dog beds on the floor of your bedroom. For now just let the dogs pick where they want to sleep. Totally ignore them if they whine or try to pester you. I mean totally, absolutely, completely, 100% ignore them. Turn your back on them if they start pestering you. Do not respond or react in anyway if they bang against your bed or jump on you even if that means pushing your bed up against the wall &/or using something like those children's safety bedrails to block their access to you while in your room. If they whine do not speak, scold, glare or in any way acknowledge their presence or that you heard them even if it means you must wear ear plugs.

In other words, provide for them now comfortable options similar to what they would have at your parents. Then you & the dogs must all just suck it up & accept the new accommodations. It may take a few days or a few weeks but it can work. If it becomes the norm now then it will not be so strange when you get to your parents' house.