Phaeton Is Home!

Guest ww_phaeton

Here is the article I was talking about.

Of all breeds of dogs, the ex-racing Greyhound has never had to be responsible for anything in his life. His whole existence has been a dog-centered one. This breed has never been asked to do anything for itself, make any decisions or answer any questions. It has been waited on, paw and tail. The only prohibition in a racing

Greyhound's life is not to get into a fight----------------or eat certain stuff in the turn out pen.

Let us review a little. From weaning until you go away for schooling, at probably a year and a half, you eat, grow and run around with your siblings. When you go away to begin your racing career, you get your own "apartment," in a large housing development. No one is allowed in your bed but you, and when you are in there, no one can touch you, without plenty of warning.

Someone hears a vehicle drive up, or the kennel door being unlocked. The light switches are flipped on. The loud mouths in residence, and there always are some, begin to bark or howl. You are wide awake by the time the human opens your door to turn you out. A Greyhound has never been touched while he was asleep.

You eat when you are fed, usually on a strict schedule. No one asks if you are hungry or what you want to eat. You are never told not to eat any food within your reach. No one ever touches your bowl while you are eating. You are not to be disturbed because it is important you clean your plate.

You are not asked if you have to "go outside." You are placed in a turn out pen and it isn't long before you get the idea of what you are supposed to do while you are out there. Unless you really get out of hand, you may chase, rough house and put your feet on everyone and every thing else. The only humans you know are the "waiters" who feed you, and the "restroom attendants" who turn you out to go to the bathroom. Respect people? Surely you jest.

No one comes into or goes out of your kennel without your knowledge. You are all seeing; all knowing. There are no surprises, day in and day out. The only thing it is ever hoped you will do is win, place or show, and that you don't have much control over. It is in your blood, it is in your heart, it is in your fate-- or it is not.

And when it is not, then suddenly you are expected to be a civilized person in a fur coat. But people don't realize you may not even speak English. Some of you don't even know your names, because you didn't need to. You were not asked or told to do anything as an individual; you were always part of the "condo association?; the sorority or fraternity and everyone did everything together, as a group or pack. The only time you did anything as an individual is when you schooled or raced, and even then, You Were Not Alone.

In my "mobile abode," the Greyhounds each have several unique names, but they also have a single common name: it is Everybody. We continue to do things as a group, pack or as we are affectionately known in-house, by Kathleen's Husbandit, "The Thundering Herd."

Back to those who have not been permanently homed. Suddenly, he is expected to behave himself in places he's never been taught how to act. He is expected to take responsibility for saying when he needs to go outside, to come when he is called, not to get on some or all of the furniture, and to not eat food off counters and tables. He is dropped in a world that is not his, and totally without warning, at that.

Almost everything he does is wrong. Suddenly he is a minority. Now he is just a pet. He is unemployed, in a place where people expect him to know the rules and the schedule, even when there aren't any. (How many times have you heard someone say, "He won't tell me when he has to go out." What kind of schedule is that?) Have you heard the joke about the dog who says, "My name is No-No Bad Dog. What's yours?" To me that is not even funny. All the protective barriers are gone. There is no more warning before something happens. There is no more strength in numbers. He wakes up with a monster human face two inches from his. (With some people's breath, this could scare Godzilla.) Why should he not, believe that this "someone," who has crept up on him, isn't going to eat him for lunch? (I really do have to ask you ladies to consider how you would react if someone you barely knew crawled up on you while you were asleep?) No, I will not ask for any male input.

Now he is left alone, for the first time in his life, in a strange place, with no idea of what will happen or how long it will be before someone comes to him again. If he is not crated, he may go though walls, windows or over fences, desperately seeking something familiar, something with which to reconnect his life. If he does get free, he will find the familiarity, within himself: the adrenaline high, the wind in his ears, the blood pulsing and racing though his heart once again--until he crashes into a car.

Often, the first contact with his new family is punishment, something he's never had before, something he doesn't understand now, especially in the middle of the rest of the chaos. And worst of all, what are the most common human reactions to misbehavior? We live in a violent society, where the answer to any irritation is a slap, punch, kick, whip, or rub your nose in it. Under these circumstances, sometimes I think any successful adoption is a miracle.

He is, in effect, expected to have all the manners of at least a six-year old child. But, how many of you would leave an unfamiliar six-year old human alone and loose in your home for hours at a time and not expect to find who knows what when you got back? Consider that if you did, you could be brought up on charges of child abuse, neglect and endangerment. Yet, people do this to Greyhounds and this is often the reason for so many returns.

How many dogs have been returned because they did not know how to tell the adoptor when they had to go out? How many for jumping on people, getting on furniture, counter surfing, separation anxiety, or defensive actions due to being startled or hurt (aka growling or biting)? So, let's understand: Sometimes it is the dog's "fault" he cannot fit in. He is not equipped with the social skills of a six-year old human. But with your love and help, you can make it happen.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ashleigh

Hank was deamed "cat safe" before I got him. His first day home he was scared stiff...not moving much, staying very close to people, then he spotted the cat. well, his ears perked up, his eyes went big, the whining came up...and yes...the shaking. I just let him go over to her. He leaned in and...SWAT!!!! The cat got him right on his nose! That's all it took and he didnt go near the cat for a good 6 months! Now they snuggle into a blanket together and sleep for hours! They follow each other around the house and have even drank water together! You just have to have faith and trust in your dog and just let them be taught their own lesson. Cats can take care of their own when situations come up. I wouldnt worry for a second!

Guest Ashleigh

Just saw the post where you said you held the kitten in front of him. Thats's a big no no. Dogs like to approach the unknown, not be approached. You really should just let Phaeton roam and explore on his own. The kittens will know when to run and where to run if they're in any danger. You're building up too much stress about the cats in the house and it will resonate to you GH. If you're seriously that worried, I would do a long leash around your waist and tie him to you. Then, if the kittens are around and he does decide to chase, at least you have the leash to stop the chase from getting to far away from your reach. But I seriously would just let animals be animals and check each other out! They'll be fine!

Guest tricolorhounds

1. Relax

2. From the picture you posted, I do not see a hound with a hi prey drive! The hounds I've tested that are high prey would be clawing their way out of that crate, every muscle in their body would be tense and alert. Yours appears to be relaxed but curioius.

3. I would do what others have suggested and put Phaeton on a 6' leash and keep him teathered to me for a couple of days. This makes it easier to correct all sorts of behaviors, marking especially.

4. Corrections should consist of a sharp tug on the leash and a sharp voice correction.... make up a word or sound, Boo, Ack, Hey etc. If he responds correctly, there should be an immediate verbal release... good boy. It is important he get a couple of good sniffs of each kitty. Do not pick up the kitties when he is near you.

5. If you have leashed control of Phaeton, there shouldn't be any reason you cannot give both dogs treats or meals together. You will be right there to give corrections as needed. All of my dogs, fosters and boarders are always fed together.

Good luck

I agree that Phaeton may be fine with the kittens with some work, but one consideration is whether that is something you have the time, patience, training skills, and even desire to do. I don't know what factors were involved in choosing Phaeton specifically, but if you are set on him and committed to make it work, I think it is certainly doable. However, if you haven't gotten completely attached yet and don't feel like you are up for the task at hand, there are a lot of greys who are very cat safe with little or no training. You could contact your adoption group to see if they have another dog who might be a better match for your family.

I agree with the posters who have mentioned not holding the cat up and for the dog to sniff. Phaeton may have thought you were trying to hand him the kitty, and that's why he made a grab for him. However, I would not recommend just giving him free roam to let the kitties deal with him themselves. That approach might work for a very assertive cat who won't run and will stand up for himself, but if he is allowed to chase the kittens at all, he will become much more interested and be even harder to work with.

Don't make a big deal of introducing the cats to him, but watch him really close when they are around. It sounds like you're doing a great job so far to keep him muzzled and on leash, or crated, at all times when the kittens are around. Even a completely cat safe grey will start to show more interest if they experience the chase, and a cat who has been chased and scared will also be more likely to run the next time. I know some dogs who show lots of interest in chasing cats that they know are scared and will run, but will ignore, even be afraid of, cats who stand their ground.

Both of my greys are very cat safe, and didn't require any training - but I fostered a boy who was cat trainable. The first day I brought him home, I had him separated from my cat, but he pushed through the baby gate, startled my cat, who of course ran and started a chase. I honestly feel that things would have been a lot easier if that initial chase hadn't happened, but as it was, he became very interested in the cat. He stared every time he saw her, but I kept him on leash or crated, and he never got another chance to chase. Every time he stared, I would distract or physically (gently) turn his head away to break the eye contact, then reward for focus back on me.

With time, he got easier to distract, and the intense stare became more of a curious watch. I had him for about 2 months and never trusted him completely around the cat, but got to where I was able to him him unmuzzled and off leash, although I would still give him a gentle verbal reminder when the cat came into the room and I saw him watching her. Once I knew he wasn't going to get up and chase, I did let him watch some without correcting him.

On the issue of the 2 dogs with treats and meals, I would continue to err on the safe side and keep them separate for now. If your goal is to have them eventually eat in the same room, a safe way to start off is on opposite sides of a baby gate. I would be cautious about using a lot of corrections when the 2 dogs are showing a response to each other (whether over treats, attention, etc) as it can create a negative association with the other dog and make things worse.

I prefer to ignore pushy behavior that isn't dangerous, or if it looks like there is some tension starting, distract early on, and use positive reinforcement - praise or small treats - for focusing on you instead of each other. When using treats for training like this, make sure they are very small pieces that can be swallowed right away, so there is no prolonged chewing and no crumbs at all.

Best of luck, regardless of your decision. I feel these are all issues that can be worked through, but I also don't think it would be wrong to try to find a dog who would be a better match.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

THANKS to Robinw for posting the greyhound article. This is really important that you read this several times! The dog you just adopted came right from the track, he did not live in a foster home (unless Donna is doing things differently now and has many more volunteers than she used to have). He went from the track, to being in a kennel - to being with you. Print out a copy of this and post it on your refrigerator - read it every day for the first couple weeks.

EVERYTHING is new to him - kitties and even being around any other breed of dog that is not a Greyhound. He honestly doesn't know what he is supposed to do, how he is supposed to act, etc.

Muzzles are your best choice right now, please get another one, so both dogs will have them. A Greyhound's skin will tear very easily, and he can be injured if the dogs get into a tiff.

You need LOTS of understanding and love to help him through the adjustment period of learning to live as a "pet" dog in a home. The good thing is, that Greyhounds are very smart and he will learn at lightning speed if you can teach him without stressing him out. These dogs tend to close down when stressed, and then they just stop taking on information. They thrive on a schedule, and it is amazing how fast they will learn how things are to be in the house.

But you have to understand - Phaeton has no idea of what is expected of him right now. Please look at things from his point of view. Please let him settle in before you put these kitties in his face again! Don't force him to interact with him, let him get used to them from a safe distance for all involved.

When I look back at what he is going though, my heart goes out for him. He must be so confused, and stressed out. Getting a dog fresh off of the track is much different than adopting a hound that has lived in a foster home for a few months and knows the ropes of living in a home.

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

For you and all the newbies. It's long but so worth reading and keeping.

From the late. K. Gilley

"Of all breeds of dogs, the ex-racing Greyhound has never had to be responsible for anything in his life. His whole existence has been a dog-centered one. This breed has never been asked to do anything for itself, make any decisions or answer any questions. It has been waited on, paw and tail. The only prohibition in a racing

Greyhound's life is not to get into a fight----------------or eat certain stuff in the turn out pen.

Let us review a little. From weaning until you go away for schooling, at probably a year and a half, you eat, grow and run around with your siblings. When you go away to begin your racing career, you get your own "apartment," in a large housing development. No one is allowed in your bed but you, and when you are in there, no one can touch you, without plenty of warning.

Someone hears a vehicle drive up, or the kennel door being unlocked. The light switches are flipped on. The loud mouths in residence, and there always are some, begin to bark or howl. You are wide awake by the time the human opens your door to turn you out. A Greyhound has never been touched while he was asleep.

You eat when you are fed, usually on a strict schedule. No one asks if you are hungry or what you want to eat. You are never told not to eat any food within your reach. No one ever touches your bowl while you are eating. You are not to be disturbed because it is important you clean your plate.

You are not asked if you have to "go outside." You are placed in a turn out pen and it isn't long before you get the idea of what you are supposed to do while you are out there. Unless you really get out of hand, you may chase, rough house and put your feet on everyone and every thing else. The only humans you know are the "waiters" who feed you, and the "restroom attendants" who turn you out to go to the bathroom. Respect people? Surely you jest.

No one comes into or goes out of your kennel without your knowledge. You are all seeing; all knowing. There are no surprises, day in and day out. The only thing it is ever hoped you will do is win, place or show, and that you don't have much control over. It is in your blood, it is in your heart, it is in your fate-- or it is not.

And when it is not, then suddenly you are expected to be a civilized person in a fur coat. But people don't realize you may not even speak English. Some of you don't even know your names, because you didn't need to. You were not asked or told to do anything as an individual; you were always part of the "condo association?; the sorority or fraternity and everyone did everything together, as a group or pack. The only time you did anything as an individual is when you schooled or raced, and even then, You Were Not Alone.

In my "mobile abode," the Greyhounds each have several unique names, but they also have a single common name: it is Everybody. We continue to do things as a group, pack or as we are affectionately known in-house, by Kathleen's Husbandit, "The Thundering Herd."

Back to those who have not been permanently homed. Suddenly, he is expected to behave himself in places he's never been taught how to act. He is expected to take responsibility for saying when he needs to go outside, to come when he is called, not to get on some or all of the furniture, and to not eat food off counters and tables. He is dropped in a world that is not his, and totally without warning, at that.

Almost everything he does is wrong. Suddenly he is a minority. Now he is just a pet. He is unemployed, in a place where people expect him to know the rules and the schedule, even when there aren't any. (How many times have you heard someone say, "He won't tell me when he has to go out." What kind of schedule is that?) Have you heard the joke about the dog who says, "My name is No-No Bad Dog. What's yours?" To me that is not even funny. All the protective barriers are gone. There is no more warning before something happens. There is no more strength in numbers. He wakes up with a monster human face two inches from his. (With some people's breath, this could scare Godzilla.) Why should he not, believe that this "someone," who has crept up on him, isn't going to eat him for lunch? (I really do have to ask you ladies to consider how you would react if someone you barely knew crawled up on you while you were asleep?) No, I will not ask for any male input.

Now he is left alone, for the first time in his life, in a strange place, with no idea of what will happen or how long it will be before someone comes to him again. If he is not crated, he may go through walls, windows or over fences, desperately seeking something familiar, something with which to reconnect his life. If he does get free, he will find the familiarity, within himself: the adrenaline high, the wind in his ears, the blood pulsing and racing though his heart once again--until he crashes into a car.

Often, the first contact with his new family is punishment, something he's never had before, something he doesn't understand now, especially in the middle of the rest of the chaos. And worst of all, what are the most common human reactions to misbehavior? We live in a violent society, where the answer to any irritation is a slap, punch, kick, whip, or rub your nose in it. Under these circumstances, sometimes I think any successful adoption is a miracle.

He is, in effect, expected to have all the manners of at least a six-year old child. But, how many of you would leave an unfamiliar six-year old human alone and loose in your home for hours at a time and not expect to find who knows what when you got back? Consider that if you did, you could be brought up on charges of child abuse, neglect and endangerment. Yet, people do this to Greyhounds and this is often the reason for so many returns.

How many dogs have been returned because they did not know how to tell the adoptor when they had to go out? How many for jumping on people, getting on furniture, counter surfing, separation anxiety, or defensive actions due to being startled or hurt (aka growling or biting)? So, let's understand: Sometimes it is the dog's "fault" he cannot fit in. He is not equipped with the social skills of a six-year old human. But with your love and help, you can make it happen."

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

How did things go last night?

Would echo a bit what others said about holding a kitty up for him -- often an animal or small child held in your arms/hands is especially exciting to a dog, dunno why, whereas same critter just wandering around the floor is ho-hum. Weird, isn't it?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I have to agree with everyone who suggested muzzling both dogs. I have three greys and they are all muzzled when I am not home. Dogs will have disagreements and if they are muzzled they can let each other know without anyone getting hurt; they can work things out safely. Walking them both together is also a great suggestion although the walk needs to be purpose-driven. In other words not just a wander-about with them sniffing and marking, but rather with both of them having to pay attention to you and walking out briskly.

My suggestion for now would be to keep your kittens safe and focus on getting the dogs to accept each other. Providing blankets etc. for each to get used to the smells is a great suggestion but I'd keep them (the kitties) separated for now.

Also remember the dogs pick up on your anxiety. When you start to feel really stressed separate everyone and go in another room and have a cup of tea or watch a comedy to relieve your stress.

more suggestions: :bath or :chow or :read

Good luck and remember it will take time for everyone, including you, to adjust.

june

Edited by june

Guest ww_phaeton

Thanks everyone for all of your help. Been a long night. I realize the dogs are working out their issues and they seem to be doing fine. It's the cats that are my main concern. I honestly think that with them being kittens perhaps they move too fast for Phaeton? Most of his anxiety is over them running. They won't swat him either but just run away which makes it worse. We have been trying him off lead and pretending the kittens are no big deal to get a better idea of whether he might ever be safe with them (though I don't think I'd ever leave them alone of course) and he has gotten the chance to sniff them a few times but one tried to run earlier and he pinned him and began snapping with his teeth. Of course we were right on top of him and got a handle on the situation very quickly.

I almost wonder if I am not the right person to provide a home for him. I like to follow dog training and have been reading a few books on it and absorbing whatever I can from the internet. I know about and was prepared for separation anxiety and some adjustments between the dogs and helping him adjust to things he is not sure of in the home having never had one before, but I wasn't prepared, since he was cat safe (yes Donna doesn't have volunteers to foster them out so I understand it can be hard to know how he'll be in a home with one) to worry about the cats. I think I may be too anxious of a person and of course as you all said he is likely picking up on that. So I worry about whether or not by giving it time I am letting him get used to a home that may turn out to be not right for him. He also just houdini'd his way out of his muzzle for the first time.

I have honestly been a wreck all morning trying to figure out what the best thing for all of the animals would be and which decision would be the selfish one.

Edited by ww_phaeton

Slow down.

1. Don't give him the chance to chase and pin kitties. If kitties are out, he's on a short leash attached to you until he learns "No kitty!"

2. Is there a local rep for your adoption group who could come and help you assess things and perhaps help you work out some short-term techniques?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I really think you're jumping to conclusions. If Phaeton really wanted your cats, they'd be dead by now. Just relax and give the poor guy a chance. And like Batmom said, call your adoption group for reassessment and maybe they can give you some tips and help.

FWIW, I'd be uncomfortable waiting for your cats to swat him. It may or may not happen plus it may put you in a position to worry even more. Try getting a 6' leash, wrap it around your waist and put Phaeton on the other side to give you some control over what he does and so he could learn how to treat the kitties with respect. In addition, please read the "long" advice that RobinM and I posted. I really think your expectations are unreasonable but you're smart in being cautious.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Don't panic....he may not accept cats overnight. We are still working through it seven months later as I said in an earlier post. Also, I agree...I would not "present" the kitten to him....My husband did that a few times, and it only caused more stress for all involved because the cat would then emit fear. I realize that my cat gets a bit less attention than he did before, but he still has a good life - and as long as I am home, all co-exist safely (with baby gates) - and either way, I would muzzle when I wasn't home...cat or no cat.

Continued good wishes.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest ww_phaeton

I did read the long advice; I had actually read it before adopting. I did as much reading as I could. However everything I read said there were plenty of hounds who were cat safe and others who could probably not be trusted with cats at all. In Adopting The Racing Greyhound it said to not even try to think about possibly training the instinct to lunge at the cats out of certain greyhounds because it would not work. It also says "If your greyhound is truly not safe with your cats or small dogs, you are doing everyone a great disservice by keeping a high prey-drive greyhound. Your small animals should not have to be segregated for the rest of their lives, nor should the Greyhound be continually segregated (and frustrated)." For the record we are going to keep trying but I was only expressing that I feel guilty at the possibility that maybe a home with small animals isn't the best home for him and the longer he stays here the more he will get used to being here when in the end it may not just be the right environment for all animals involved. I will continue to come here for advice and I also have friends who adopted greyhounds from Donna as well who have been very helpful. This is my first rescue dog so I thank everyone for their patience.

I've also tried the leash being tied to me but this only seems to stress him out more. I will keep at it.

It does take time and so many people have given you wonderful advice. :grouphug

However, I do think the new environment, fast moving kitties, and a stressed out new mom and another dog trying to establish order is a lot all at once. He needs time to adjust just to the newness of the people and house, let alone kittens and another dog.

If you are in this all the way it can be overcome, but will take lots of work and patience. I have a dog that took a year before he was ever trusted with my 3 pound chi mix.

But, if you truly don't think that you can do it, contact your group soon and talk to them. They may have another, older, "bounce" dog that would work perfect for you...

Good luck with either decision.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

FWIW, I didn't want to segregate my pets either, and never have. I understand how stressful it is. I almost died when my "tested cat safe" Loca walked into the house and grabbed my cat by the neck. I came very close to returning her, but was shamed out of it :eek Finally one night I looked at her and realized that she was scared and from there on, she was here to stay.

I'm sorry if I seemed insensitive because I do know how you feel. I already had a resident greyhound when I adopted Loca, and it was still very tough. After a month of crating her when I wasn't home and keeping her muzzled and tethered to me, she really did change. She became very friendly, or even loving with cats.

You have to do what's best for your family and for Phaeton. Would it help if somebody from your adoption group was able to stop buy and assess the situation?

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg

I think part of the problem is one you identified. They are kittens and they run. That probably has him very excited to see what in heck they are. Cat testing is generally is not done with busy kittens. I totally understand your anxiety. You are quite right that there are hounds who would not even blink at them. I have had a couple of those myself. Yours may very well be fine in the end but it likely will take weeks not days if it is going to work.

But you know if you feel this is not going to work that is really okay. It will take a fair bit of work I think. Do call your group and have an honest chat with someone there.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest mcsheltie

I am glad to see the care you are taking to keep your kittens safe.

I would call your group and have an experienced member come out to your house ASAP and assess the situation. Did they do a home visit with the dog before you adopted?

When I had my home visit, the adoption rep brought and absolutely stunning hound with her--he stared at my cats the entire time he was there. Never even looked at my dog!

When my dog died, and I was ready to adopt, she would not let me adopt that dog because in her opinion he was simply way too interested in the cat, and since they had other dogs who they were more sure of, it was in my best interest, his best interest, and their best interest that I choose a different dog.

I think that you're going way too fast.

I had three cats when George arrived here. While he showed no interest in any of them, he was crated, or in an x-pen every second for the first few days unless he was on a leash by my side. After that, he had his muzzle on for DAYS.

So you've had this boy home for two days, and you seem to be going out of your way to make this an in-your-face introduction.

When I introduce a new cat I don't even let it interact with my resident cats for days!

I would never let two kittens loose with a new dog.

If you're willing to try hard, I would suggest you make a room comfy for the kittens (litter box, food, water, cat tree, etc.) and leave them in there for at least a week. They'll be fine! Go in and play with them, etc., but don't let them out.

If the dog doesn't loose interest fairly soon in the closed door, then you may have a problem.

Please don't feel guilty about keeping your cats safe. And if you believe this dog is not the right one, then it's in his best interest to contact your group ASAP.

Good luck!! And as someone else said, there are plenty of hounds who have no cat issues at all. And plenty of homes with no cats. You don't always get the right hound the first try, and that's no one's fault.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest SueG201

i did all the cat testing with my group, and I dont like the fact that he won]t break a stare, whining and licking the lips would be a no go for me. I would ask and adoption rep to come over and assess the situation, most greyhounds I tested to be safe would not even look at the cat after i said " No Cat" Pls be careful and do not let him loose around those kittens

I agree with the folks that suggested having an experienced member of your group come over to assess the situation. Many of the ppl here on GT have had greys for yrs and have experience that makes it easier to give out advice. However we don't live in your home and only you can decide if you are willing and able to to work with this dog. I have had 6 greyhounds and dealt with 'kitty issues' twice and both times have made it work. However I also had a few yrs experience with greys in general and had been involved with GT and reading ppls personal experiences, so I was better equipped to handle it.

I know I would not fault anyone, specially someone new to greyhounds if they decided that this situation was more than they were prepared to deal with. If you can't make it work there are plenty of other greys out there that you wouldn't have these issues with.

:grouphug

Guest LindsaySF

Agreed about no treats, toys, etc, until the 2 dogs know each other better. Lots and lots of walks on neutral territory.

I think part of the problem is one you identified. They are kittens and they run. That probably has him very excited to see what in heck they are. Cat testing is generally is not done with busy kittens.

Bingo. I do most of the cat-testing for my group, and "cat friendly" is subjective. I've had dogs fine with my cats (fat and lazy) that want to eat more hyper cats. I've had dogs go after my cats, but they were fine with confident cats that would defend themselves with a good smack. And kittens are a whole other story, some of the most cat-friendly dogs with adult cats are not trustworthy whatsoever around kittens.

It is too hard to tell from descriptions and photos online. I would ask for a representative from your adoption group to visit your home ASAP, to see the behavior in-person. They should be able to tell if this is something that can be worked on, or if this is a concern and means this dog is not a good match.

About segregating, do not feel guilty for that, it is in the best interests of everyone. It's actually better to keep the new dog separate from the cats for the first few days, even a week or more. The dog needs to settle into your home and routine first, then you can focus on cat intros. And for nervous cats or cats that run, the key is to let the cat feel comfortable, wait for the cat to approach. Don't grab the cat and plop them in front of the dog. That type of intro is just too soon for either animal to feel comfortable, and you can start a vicious cycle of the cats running every time they see the dog, which makes the dog chase them, which makes the cats more nervous, and so on.

~Lindsay~

Guest ww_phaeton

I'm really thankful that I had everyone here to turn to for advice over the weekend so it's with my tail between my legs that I come to tell you that Phaeton is back at the rescue. After agonizing over the decision all day I finally called and spoke to Donna at the rescue for advice. I told her what had been happening with the kittens and her immediate reaction was that it was definitely not good and the safety of the cats was most important. She apologized and said that of course cat testing isn't fool proof since they are animals and that she thought it would be best to bring him back to the rescue and try again in the future with a different dog. I seemed to be the only one crying upon arrival at the rescue as Phaeton was all smiles to hear the howling of the other hounds. There were a few cats running around and he did the same thing he was doing at my home. Became rigid, licking/smacking lips, intent focused eyes and unable to be distracted and oblivious to "No Kitty!" That being said I still cried while saying goodbye. Donna was very nice and she said that it happens and not every adoption is the best fit.

I would have been willing to put in the work with Phaeton, particularly with his separation anxiety (didn't get into that here since the animal interaction was most important to me) and the issues with my other dog but I was honestly too worried about the cats and my lack of experience with rescues. This was my first rescued animal which only makes this worse of course as I've never given up an animal before. It was a very hard to decision to make but one I made only because he was only here for a night and I knew he had a place with Donna. Her recommending it cemented my decision. I don't want anyone to think I would ever just give up an animal so quickly in any other circumstance. I just felt Phaeton would be happier elsewhere with someone more experienced or without small pets.

Perhaps it's my own guilt making me explain so much! Thank you again everyone. This was (and still is) a very hard decision for me.

You're absolutely right, your cats's safety is most important. There will be a dog that is a perfect fit for you and your family. Please don't best yourself up.

I hope this doesn't turn you off of greyhounds. As I mentioned, I had one that was awful with cats, but the two I have now absolutely ignore my cat and even sleep with him, and they did that from the moment they first walked into the house.

Have you considered adopting a dog from a group that fosters them? That way maybe you can adopt one that's already lived with cats.

Stick around and keep us posted, OK?

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg

I think you did the right thing, and Phaeton will be fine in another home. The behavior you describe really sounds like something I wouldn't want to risk in my home with cats. The fact that it was on display even in another setting should help put your mind at ease. I think it was clear-headed of you not to wait until you got more attached. And do know that there are many, many greyhounds who will be fine in your house (though maybe, just maybe, you might want to consider waiting until the kittens are a little bigger? Surely two kittens and another dog are a handful of animal activity as is?). You were just unlucky to get a bad fit because of the imperfect nature of cat testing. I know how disappointing it must be.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad