Nola's Lump

Sorcha

In July 2009 I discovered a lump on Nola. I took her to my regular vet who sent me to the veterinary hospital. I fully expected they were going to say it had to removed. The vet there did a needle biopsy and determined it just a fatty lump and there was no need to have it removed unless it grew double in size or bothered her. Well, I looked at it tonight and I do believe it's now double in size. So, do I have it removed? The thing it, when I first took her in I thought it was urgent and had to be removed right-away-fast. Now that time has passed, I have decided I do not want her to have the surgery done at the veterinary hospital where my regular vet sends patients to for things like this. The reason is, they did a dental on my greyhound Tuna and she was never the same after it. So, I need to find another place to take her to, I don't want to take her just anywhere. So, those in Delaware do you have any suggestions?

Here it is in July 2009:

July09.jpg

And here it is tonight:

100_1042.jpg

100_1047.jpg

Arrow goes in Monday to have one removed from him. It doesn't seem to bother him but the vet suggested it was time to have it taken off. He's having a dental so the vet it doing both procedures on the same day.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I've had friends use the Veterinary Referral Center in Malvern. Everyone I've talked to has been very happy with this practice.' It's a specialty practice so it's not cheap but has a very good reputation.

Closer to home, I've also used Longwood Veterinary Hospital and have never had any problems at all. I've always seen either Dr. Andrews or Dr. Strine, both are greyhound/sighthound savvy.

blackgreys5.jpg

, Phoenix, Okie, Casey, and Ellie the Galga; with Aggie, Alexa, Bear,Cody, Gianni V., Missy B, Babette, Bernice, and BooBoo at the Bridge

Guest zombrie

Kodie has one on her leg, and it also has gotten bigger over time. If she ever has to go under for something, we will have it removed but at this point in time it doesn't bother her so we will leave it be.

Basically, get it removed if you want to, it isn't an emergency so it's your decision :)

Edited by zombrie

I've had friends use the Veterinary Referral Center in Malvern. Everyone I've talked to has been very happy with this practice.' It's a specialty practice so it's not cheap but has a very good reputation.

Closer to home, I've also used Longwood Veterinary Hospital and have never had any problems at all. I've always seen either Dr. Andrews or Dr. Strine, both are greyhound/sighthound savvy.

Longwood is where I have decided not to go back to. Malvern it a bit of a distance, but I will look into it. Thanks.

Arrow goes in Monday to have one removed from him. It doesn't seem to bother him but the vet suggested it was time to have it taken off. He's having a dental so the vet it doing both procedures on the same day.

Wishing all the best for Arrow's lump removal. Nola does not need a dental, that is a good idea to do both at the same time.

Kodie has one on her leg, and it also has gotten bigger over time. If she ever has to go under for something, we will have it removed but at this point in time it doesn't bother her so we will leave it be.

Basically, get it removed if you want to, it isn't an emergency so it's your decision :)

I keep telling myself it's not anything "bad" so it does not HAVE to come off but it sort of shocked me last night to notice how large it's gotten. How much bigger can they get?

Go see Dr. Herrman at VCA Kirkwood, she's the best. Been going to her 20+ years. She is open to owner communication/questions/decisions, sees multiple greyhounds in her practice and is of the "less is more mindset" with many medical/medication issues. However she's not so conservative that she can't be aggressive with treatment when needed. She knows I HATE to use Rimadyl and other like-drugs so she prescribes tramadol or similar pain meds for my gang (unless we discuss it and it's deemed medically necessary/best for the hound) - she is supportive of my choices. She always keeps me informed and her staff is wonderful. She's researched many quirky issues with my hounds to help solve them and two years ago I gave her a copy of the "Care of Racing & Retired Greyhounds" she was thrilled and made sure all the vets/staff at the practice knew it was there as a reference for everyone. I LOVE my vet. here's a link to their staff/site. VCA Kirkwood

Good luck!

edited because I can't spell :)

Edited by LuvEarsies

Bernadette with Jak, Horizon, Kota, Barnaby, Madison, Earl, Tiggy, Finney, Tommy, Woody, Tyler and Lincoln all at the bridge

Go see Dr. Herrman at VCA Kirkwood, she's the best. Been going to her 20+ years. She is open to owner communication/questions/decisions, sees multiple greyhounds in her practice and is of the "less is more mindset" with many medical/medication issues. However she's not so conservative that she can't be aggressive with treatment when needed. She knows I HATE to use Rimadyl and other like-drugs so she prescribes tramadol or similar pain meds for my gang (unless we discuss it and it's deemed medically necessary/best for the hound) - she is supportive of my choices. She always keeps me informed and her staff is wonderful. She's researched many quirky issues with my hounds to help solve them and two years ago I gave her a copy of the "Care of Racing & Retired Greyhounds" she was thrilled and made sure all the vets/staff at the practice knew it was there as a reference for everyone. I LOVE my vet. here's a link to their staff/site. VCA Kirkwood

Good luck!

edited because I can't spell :)

Or Dr. DeMarco there-- I've used her for years and she's also very good with the greyhounds and all the anesthesia issues that Patrick has. Whoever you see, I'd get a second opinion on removal though, if the lumph has been biopsied and isn't bothering her. Did you vet say why he was recommending removal?

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Assuming a lipoma -- When they start growing quickly and/or getting big, it's a good idea to take them off. Reason being, sometimes they get involved with the muscle etc. and are harder to remove completely, which means they're liable to come back, rinse, repeat.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Assuming a lipoma -- When they start growing quickly and/or getting big, it's a good idea to take them off. Reason being, sometimes they get involved with the muscle etc. and are harder to remove completely, which means they're liable to come back, rinse, repeat.

Yup. Our old mutt Rosie had one develop on the curve of her inner thigh. Vet said it was a difficult removal because it had grown "roots". If had grown larger it could have strangled or crowded normal tissue. Rosie had an easy recovery from that surgery.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Thanks, VCA on Kirkwood Hwy. is tops on my list to look into. My regular vet is a great vet but cannot do the surgery because he is not set up to perform surgery on sighthound breeds (he uses barbiturate anesthesia). So, the vet refers sighthound owners to a nearby animal hospital for surgery. When he (regular vet) saw the lump in July '09 he felt it should come off just by looking at it, and sent me to the animal hospital. When I went to the animal hospital with Nola, I fully expected they would do pre-surgery bloodwork and schedule the surgery. Instead the vet there did the needle thing and all that came out of the lump was fat so she said it did not need to be removed unless it became a problem in the future. I did not think I should insist on them removing it, because I don't want it to be done by a vet who does not feel it needs to be removed. Now that I think about it more, I don't want them doing the surgery anyways since I have not had a good experience at that animal hospital in the past with Tuna's dental.

Thanks again for the suggestions. Any idea what something like this should cost?

We paid around $175 but that was 12+ years ago.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png