Puzzled By Perceived Fear

I have followed the same routine at feeding time for years. Twice a day I prepare their bowls and place them in a specific place for each dog. Each one knows his place and there is never any trouble. This morning Beanie would not pass by a certain point in the kitchen to go to her bowl, she acts like she is afraid of something. She exhibited the same behavior tonight. I believe it has something to do with the other dogs being in there, because when I let them outside I was able to coax her back into the kitchen to her spot to eat. The odd thing though is that she was fine going into the kitchen with them when I was letting them outside. It seems both times have something to do with them eating. I just can't figure out what or why, because there have been no issues with them. Not sure if anyone can really help with this, but I am open to thoughts and suggestions.

Get down on her level and make sure nothing has changed in the setting, nothing sticking out, nothing making a funny nose (like a pan in the cupboard rattling when she walks by), or that smells funny. She may be perceiving something not that available to the human senses. Or perhaps one of the others knocked her into the cabinet and she's wary of getting hurt again.

Good luck!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I made the mistake of washing our hardwood floors (per the instructions provided by the company who redid them years ago: windex and water). It has made them shiny and beautiful but omg, I welcome any suggestions for getting them dirty again, they have become a slick nightmare. Home Depot runners have always been in place here and the campers are careful to use them, but the spaces between are a huge concern, for one pup in particular.

Did you wash your floors? I vote: No More Housework.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Get down on her level and make sure nothing has changed in the setting, nothing sticking out, nothing making a funny nose (like a pan in the cupboard rattling when she walks by), or that smells funny. She may be perceiving something not that available to the human senses. Or perhaps one of the others knocked her into the cabinet and she's wary of getting hurt again.

Good luck!

Thanks Chris for the suggestions. I got down on her level this morning to try and see anything that might illicit this fear response. There were a few things in places not normally so I put them away. After the rest of the crew ate I let them outside to see if they were the reason she is balking from entering the kitchen. She came about 2 ft. into the kitchen and then froze in that spot. I couldn't even tempt her to come further even with a dehydrated chicken foot added to her bowl that I placed just a few feet away.

She was like this when I first brought here home as foster. I couldn't look at her, touch her bowl or be in the same room when she ate. It took quite a bit of time, but I worked with her through those issues and there hasn't been a problem for years. The change in her was amazing. She went from being fearful of taking any food from me to joining in with the pack and accepting treats from my hand. Something that previously would have had her crawling up a wall backwards to get away if I approached her with a treat in my hand and tried to give it to her. It seems she has for some reason let fear take a hold of her again. Hopefully I can figure out the trigger and help her through it.

I made the mistake of washing our hardwood floors (per the instructions provided by the company who redid them years ago: windex and water). It has made them shiny and beautiful but omg, I welcome any suggestions for getting them dirty again, they have become a slick nightmare. Home Depot runners have always been in place here and the campers are careful to use them, but the spaces between are a huge concern, for one pup in particular.

Did you wash your floors? I vote: No More Housework.

No, no recently cleaned floors. I'm embarrassed to say they are as they usually are, in need of a mopping. Hey maybe that's it, I need to clean my floors (LOL).

This is probably not going to be helpful since this is a new fear, but I just thought I'd mention that there are sometimes things that animals perceive that we just can't.

We have Summit who is a 5 year old GH that we adopted in October, and we have 3 rabbits. We also had a foster GH for 3 weeks immediately before we adopted Summit. We have hardwood floors everywhere except in the two bedrooms. The hardwood is the same throughout. Or is it? NONE of our animals will go farther than halfway through the kitchen. Actually, the dog is the only one who will go into the kitchen at all. The rabbits refuse. And even the dog will only go as far as he has to because his food and water are in there. Our foster dog was the same. He would follow me to the bathroom for the first week, looking nervous the whole time, and once he was settled in and comfortable he would follow me into the kitchen and stop and wait until I came back. They all look horribly uncomfortable on the floor. It's the same to us humans, but clearly there is something different about it such that none of the animals like it.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Has there been a change in pack dynamics? Perhaps there was a small tiff regarding food that you didn't notice that made her reluctant. Or, was she scolded for anything by a human? Maybe something that seemed minor to you might have seemed major to her?

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Has there been a change in pack dynamics? Perhaps there was a small tiff regarding food that you didn't notice that made her reluctant. Or, was she scolded for anything by a human? Maybe something that seemed minor to you might have seemed major to her?

Anna, Nadir's sister has joined us in Sept, but she has been here for 5 months and has spent time with us before because I fostered her for a year and a half and then whenever her mom gets deployed she always come to stay with me, so Beanie and the rest of the dogs are very familiar with her. I'm the only human at my house and am always present at feeding time and there have been no problems among them. Each dog respects the other's food space and will only check out another bowl if that dog has walked away from it.

This is probably not going to be helpful since this is a new fear, but I just thought I'd mention that there are sometimes things that animals perceive that we just can't.

We have Summit who is a 5 year old GH that we adopted in October, and we have 3 rabbits. We also had a foster GH for 3 weeks immediately before we adopted Summit. We have hardwood floors everywhere except in the two bedrooms. The hardwood is the same throughout. Or is it? NONE of our animals will go farther than halfway through the kitchen. Actually, the dog is the only one who will go into the kitchen at all. The rabbits refuse. And even the dog will only go as far as he has to because his food and water are in there. Our foster dog was the same. He would follow me to the bathroom for the first week, looking nervous the whole time, and once he was settled in and comfortable he would follow me into the kitchen and stop and wait until I came back. They all look horribly uncomfortable on the floor. It's the same to us humans, but clearly there is something different about it such that none of the animals like it.

The floor in my kitchen is different than what is in my living room and she has had problems with it before, but usually I can pinpoint what the problem is and if it is severe I can fix it or remove what is causing the problem. Most times though if she hesitates I can usually convince her it is okay. This time she is tying her fear of the floors to eating time and I cannot convince her to go beyond a certain point. She’s hesitates a little going through the kitchen now when I let them out, but she doesn’t refuse like she does when I try to feed her. The odd thing is, is that her 5th Gotcha Day was yesterday and she has eaten in that same spot every day. I just don’t get the sudden fear.

Guest Shermanator

Could she have slid on the floor, and is now a little unnerved? My bridge boy Patton used to get nuts, and get the zoomies, and would barrel through the dog door like a bull. Several times, he'd lose control of himself, and loose his footing on the tile floors, other times he'd simply barrel into the dog door, and smack into the sides while trying to get outside. :lol For several days afterward, he'd be terrified of the kitchen. And would gingerly walk on it to get to the food bowls. After several days, he forget about it, and the cycle of craziness would start again. :lol Could she have lost her footing at one time, and is scared?

Put a nonskid rug on the floor leading to her dish.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Could she have slid on the floor, and is now a little unnerved? My bridge boy Patton used to get nuts, and get the zoomies, and would barrel through the dog door like a bull. Several times, he'd lose control of himself, and loose his footing on the tile floors, other times he'd simply barrel into the dog door, and smack into the sides while trying to get outside. :lol For several days afterward, he'd be terrified of the kitchen. And would gingerly walk on it to get to the food bowls. After several days, he forget about it, and the cycle of craziness would start again. :lol Could she have lost her footing at one time, and is scared?

I'm thinking now it has to do more with her food bowl in the kitchen than the floor itself. Last night and this morning she came through the kitchen, albeit cautiously, to go out the back door. This morning she even joined me in the kitchen with the rest when I was preparing their bowls. It was when I started placing them down that she retreated out and stands at the entryway peaking around the corner. When I approached her to try to coax her in she retreated to a far corner of the livingroom. I know it's not me because any other time she is leaning against me for scritches and always comes up to me for attention any other time.

It's really odd the things they get in their heads sometimes.

ETA to eliminate double post.

Put a nonskid rug on the floor leading to her dish.

I will try that, thanks.

Edited by 4My2Greys

Use Calming Signals My link with her to stop the problem getting worse.

All that searching around and attention can be reinforcing her fears that something really is wrong and even her human thinks something is up now.

Have the vet check her mouth because maybe she bit on some food which hurt and she blames the bowl and the location?

Guest Shermanator

I'm thinking now it has to do more with her food bowl in the kitchen than the floor itself. Last night and this morning she came through the kitchen, albeit cautiously, to go out the back door. This morning she even joined me in the kitchen with the rest when I was preparing their bowls. It was when I started placing them down that she retreated out and stands at the entryway peaking around the corner. When I approached her to try to coax her in she retreated to a far corner of the livingroom. I know it's not me because any other time she is leaning against me for scritches and always comes up to me for attention any other time.

Is her food on raised feeders? We free feed, and there are times she's backed up into the stainless steel bowls, and knock them over. It makes quite a loud noise and commotion. She's a little skittish after that, too. :)

Is her food on raised feeders? We free feed, and there are times she's backed up into the stainless steel bowls, and knock them over. It makes quite a loud noise and commotion. She's a little skittish after that, too. :)

Well you have hit on something. I have been thinking and thinking and I do remember her knocking her bowl off of the stand it was on several days again. So it seems because she will come into the kitchen whenever the bowl is not there and will eat from the bowl in another location, it is the combination of the two the scare her. Thank you so much to you and everyone that has helped me try to figure this out.

Now if anyone can help me figure out how to help her get over this fear . Do you think by bringing her bowl into the livingroom and feeding her there I am encouraging her to not go back into her usual eating space or should I just give her another permanent area to eat at?

Use Calming Signals My link with her to stop the problem getting worse.

All that searching around and attention can be reinforcing her fears that something really is wrong and even her human thinks something is up now.

Have the vet check her mouth because maybe she bit on some food which hurt and she blames the bowl and the location?

I wanted to say that I found this article very interesting. I even recognized something that Chase, who is very submissive by nature, does whenever I use a more stern voice if it seems he is not listening, ie telling him to get out of the kitchen when he is getting underfoot when I am trying to cook. He will sit down, look away, and then start raising his paw and putting it back down several times in succession. I'm going to have to start looking at all my dogs for these subtle signals.

Just want to add that I use the term "submissive' not because I believe in the "dominance" theory so much anymore, but for lack of a better term.

Guest Shermanator

Well, Echo is so food motivated, that her will to eat yummy things overtakes her fears.

However, I have a super spooky grey girly Travel. At first, she was terrified if we were too close, and wouldn't eat. We started adding a dollop of wet food on their food, since they cannot resist it. (Neither can the cat.) Now, Travel and Echo get a little dollop of wet food with breakfast and dinner. Oh, and the cat does, too. :)

Now if anyone can help me figure out how to help her get over this fear . Do you think by bringing her bowl into the livingroom and feeding her there I am encouraging her to not go back into her usual eating space or should I just give her another permanent area to eat at?

Let me tell you about my Joshy rolleyes.gif. One day on a Sunday evening, for no reason that I was able to determine, his raised feeder sprung apart sending his dish flying in the air. He fled the kitchen naturally. (Jilly waited for the food to land to score extra). Of course I thought that was it for Joshy in the kitchen. But no, Monday more there he was front and centre at his station waiting for breakfast and every meal after that until Wednesday at supper. Suddenly it hit him, I am absolutely NOT going in there and I am NOT eating out of that dish. I almost died you know! Three days later!!

I tried everything to get him back in there, Time, different bowls, fabulous food. Inching the bowl closer to the kitchen. Finally I gave up and he now eats in the hall.out of different bowls that sit on the floor. So frankly although it probably can be done, in the end I decided it wasn't worth the effort. Bless their little brains lol.gif

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Let me tell you about my Joshy rolleyes.gif. One day on a Sunday evening, for no reason that I was able to determine, his raised feeder sprung apart sending his dish flying in the air. He fled the kitchen naturally. (Jilly waited for the food to land to score extra). Of course I thought that was it for Joshy in the kitchen. But no, Monday more there he was front and centre at his station waiting for breakfast and every meal after that until Wednesday at supper. Suddenly it hit him, I am absolutely NOT going in there and I am NOT eating out of that dish. I almost died you know! Three days later!!

I tried everything to get him back in there, Time, different bowls, fabulous food. Inching the bowl closer to the kitchen. Finally I gave up and he now eats in the hall.out of different bowls that sit on the floor. So frankly although it probably can be done, in the end I decided it wasn't worth the effort. Bless their little brains lol.gif

You know I think your right, I may make a few arrangements in their eating locations and order and see if that works. It's funny the things they get into their heads. What's funny is to see Beanie walk on the kitchen floor if Nadir has had an accident and left a puddle on the floor. It's usually close to the entryway into the kitchen, which I will have blocked off. Anyway when I get home to let them out she refuses to walk past that puddle, in the meantime the rest of the dogs are wanting outside and she is blocking the way, because she won't go forward or backward. I know they really need to go outside because they've been inside for soooo long. So I start to push her past the puddle to get her and the others outside so I can get it cleaned up. She then extends her toes and attempts to scramble across the kitchen on the tips of her toenails as if she's walking past battery acid and across a floor of hot coals, the whole time her legs are going in all directions because she has no traction.

Another time my sister came over because she was going to feed my dogs when I was out of town for a day and wanted to learn my routine. My sister is very good with dogs, but you would have thought she was the devil incarnate by Beanie's reaction. She trembled and shook the whole time my sister was there. Luckily for Beanie that time I was taking her with me. The next time Beanie saw her, when my sister came over again months later you would have thought she was the best thing ever in Beanie's eyes. She was a complete lovebug and couldn't get enough of my sister.

Edited to change font size.

Edited by 4My2Greys

Guest courser

Like someone else said the more focused and worried you are about her when she is exhibiting strange behavior the more worried she will become. Dogs are so sensitive to our emotions. When you worry about her she just senses worry and may think you are worried about the kitchen too or bowls too. It is much better to just ignore it and keep a happy attitude in the kitchen and around her. If you coax, pet her, talk to her, feed her and do the usual things humans tend to do when a dog is scared, you are rewarding the behavior and reinforcing it. Much better to ignore it.

Like someone else said the more focused and worried you are about her when she is exhibiting strange behavior the more worried she will become. Dogs are so sensitive to our emotions. When you worry about her she just senses worry and may think you are worried about the kitchen too or bowls too. It is much better to just ignore it and keep a happy attitude in the kitchen and around her. If you coax, pet her, talk to her, feed her and do the usual things humans tend to do when a dog is scared, you are rewarding the behavior and reinforcing it. Much better to ignore it.

Yesterday I decided that I wouldn't worry so much about getting her back to her usual eating spot. I've chosen another spot that is not in the kitchen and she is doing very well there. I'm letting her follow the other dogs when it's time to go outside and she has been really good with that. I've noticed that if I do try to coax her in I can tell she wants to come with me but she hesitates, so I'm going to stop doing that, because as you and others have pointed out I'm just encouraging her fears. I'll let her come in on her on or use the influence of the other dogs to motivate her. Thank you for your input.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally figured out what was bothering Beanie. It was Anna, which is odd because Anna has been with us for several years over different periods of time. I fostered Anna for over a year and 3 other times since being adopted she has stayed with us for 5 months at a time while her mom was deployed. All these times Beanie has eaten in her designated spot and Anna in hers. This last time when the problem started Anna had been with us and things were going good until that one day Beanie refused to eat in the kitchen. I moved her eating spot to the livingroom, but occasionally tried to see if she would go back to her regular spot with no luck. Anyway Saturday Anna went back home to her mom in Oklahoma and that night I put Beanie's bowl down in its usual spot in the kitchen. I didn't even have to call her, she came right over and started eating.