Vaccines And Chemo/surgery

I just realized Lucy is due for some vaccines in the next couple of weeks (Lepto and a couple of others). She's scheduled for amp on Tuesday and then we'll start chemo after that. I've heard that chemo weakens the immune system. Should she get the vaccines now (right before surgery and probably about 2 weeks until we start chemo)?

We don't have an oncologist yet and probably won't get a consult with one until after the amp. I'm going to call our regular vet and see what they say, but they're not oncologists, so if anyone here has talked with their oncologist about this topic and has some info to share, I'd appreciate it. I can try to ask OSU, but it's been really hard to get answers from them on an urgent basis since they are so busy.

sig_border.jpg
Always missing our angel Lucy, a four year osteo survivor.

Guest mbfilby

If this were me, I would avoid the vacs until she has recovered. There is always a chance of an adverse effect from vaccines, and your girl will be going through a major recovery without chancing avoidable complications.

No vaccines!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I agree. No more vaccines. Talk with your licensing department if you need to get a dispensation for rabies and other required vaccs. I think it's pretty common for effectiveness to last for a long time after vaccines anyway, and that most boosters aren't really necessary.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Don't vaccinate/

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Not sure how long before chemo you'd be safe in giving vaccines; couple weeks is probably plenty good enough but I'd have to look that up. After chemo is complete, you probably want to wait 3-6 months but that may depend on the type of chemo. Most chemo really whacks the immune system -- the cells needed aren't available in sufficient quantity to respond to the vaccine.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

No more, ever? Really? :unsure I don't know why, but hearing this made me so sad. :(

Why would that make you sad?

I don't know, I guess because she's only four and I would hope she'd live long enough to still need to be protected from the normal stuff.

sig_border.jpg
Always missing our angel Lucy, a four year osteo survivor.

Guest MorganKonaAlex

No more, ever? Really? :unsure I don't know why, but hearing this made me so sad. :(

I don't know, I guess because she's only four and I would hope she'd live long enough to still need to be protected from the normal stuff.

Morgan lived 3 years after his amputation and had vaccinations.

From my own chemo experience, I was told not to get a flu shot during chemo. Most vaccinations require an immune response to be effected.

I would wait until she's recovered to give her the vaccines. You don't want any reactions. Personally I would probably start vaccines up again after a few months or up to a year. If you don't vaccinate, you won't want to bring her to the dog park.

Guest Swifthounds

A bit of reading on the subject of vaccines and immune response should put your mind at ease. There hasn't been a vet hospital recommending annual vaccination for the "distemper" vaccine since the 90s - they go with not more frequently than every three years. There is plenty of evidence that dogs achieve lifetime protection (and as much benefit as they'll ever receive) with puppy vaccines given at 9 and 12 weeks, one a year later, and one more three years later. Everything else provides no more protection (vaccines don't work that way) but do increase the likelihood for a vaccine reaction and do take a toll on the immune system.

Whatever you decide, I would not vaccinate while she is ill (transient immune suppression occurs following vaccination), I would not vaccinate during chemo or for a good long period after. I can't imagine an oncologist would, either. Personally, I wouldn't risk my dog's life or health over vaccines for diseases for which she already has all the immunity she's going to have. Going forward I would probably titer for distemper and vaccinate every 3 years for the rabies if a waiver wasn't feasible.

puppy vaccines given at 9 and 12 weeks, one a year later, and one more three years later. Everything else provides no more protection (vaccines don't work that way) but do increase the likelihood for a vaccine reaction and do take a toll on the immune system.

Sometimes, vaccines do in fact work that way -- depends on the vaccine and the individual receiving it. Immunity provided by the original vaccine series isn't always lifelong, for people or dogs. If you didn't want to vaccinate and were in doubt about one or the next disease, you could titer instead. Fair warning -- titers are usually more costly than vaccines. In most organisms, vaccinating for something the animal is already well immune to has no effect.

Vaccines don't take a toll on the immune system; rather the opposite. They prime the immune system to respond more quickly to the threat represented by the vaccine so that the vaccinated individual has a better chance of surviving rather than succumbing to the threat.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.