Rush Just Ate A Sock!

Guest knowimagination

Guest knowimagination

We just moved here so I am having to look up the e vet number, but our grey rush loves playing with socks and collecting them. However this time she brought it into the living room and instead of making a pile she swallowed it whole! We are pretty sure she did this a couple days ago as well as we found a really wet sock and evidence of her having thrown up during the night.

Help

Guest knowimagination

Was it a thick sock? I would call the Evet. I of one of my dogs ate a knee nylon and she passed it on her own. Sorry I could not help. Good luck. :hope:bighug

It was a thin ankle sock so relatively small as far as socks are concerned, but still concerning.

I would call the e-vet and get some advice. She may be able to pass it but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Call the vet.

They may have you induce vomiting with hydrogen peroxide but the risk is that she will choke on it when it is coming back up. Because of this choking hazard, you might want the vet to do it.

They may have you take a wait and see. The risk here is that it will form an obstruction instead of passing through. This is life threatening. If this is what is suggested, be sure you watch carefully for any signs of obstruction.

Guest Barbara

Allstun ate a small soft toy, and threw it up. Then he ate a small bag that ear phones came in. Then he threw that up.

I hope that while you're on the phone, Rush will throw up the sock. Best to get the vet's advice. These furkids! It's like having toddlers.

Call the vet. When Treasure went to the vet for eating three pounds of onions, they pointed out a lab who just had surgery for eating a sock.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

If you have trouble locating the number of an e-vet, go online to maps.google.com

In the search box at the top of the page, type emergency veterinarian and your zip code.

You should get phone number and address and an option to get driving directions.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest knowimagination

Thanks everyone I called a local E vet but they are a new facility and won't be open until march, but he recommended I take her in to the next closest one so I hopped in the car and drove the 35 minutes to the next E vet.

They gave her a shot to induce vomiting and she threw the sockS...

Two of them!

I was so glad I went because I bet the chances of something bad happening are worse when she has two socks in there. A hefty E vet bill and she is now back to normal.

Thanks again.

Guest Adrianne

I am so happy you took her to the evet, and she is okay now. And while it is in no way a funny situation, think of the story you now have to tell in the years to come. "Remember the time......"

Guest knowimagination

haha yes despite the cost I can already laugh at it knowing she is ok.

It is sad though because before she started swallowing them it was adorable to watch her pile up 4 or 5 socks on her dog bed and look so proud. Maybe we aren't feeding her enough :lol

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I had a foster once that would eat socks and stuffies. Two words of advice, 1) MUZZLE when you are not around 2)no small objects or "flat" stuffies (the kind that have no stuffing inside). You now know that your hound will eat things when you are not around to watch, take this warning he has given you. While I may be sounding alarmist, my foster was minutes from death and spent nearly a week in the ICU due to a blockage. To top it off, he ate the "flat" stuffy THROUGH his muzzle.

Chad

(just saw you have a female, please excuse my reference to a "male" hound)

Edited by Greyt_dog_lover

Smart move on the vet. My bridge boy Jack ate two hair scrunchies without my knowledge. Then one day he was throwing up and had diarreah. I had no idea why. Then, when I actually caught him vomiting, I saw the scrunchy and realized why I hadn't known...HE ATE IT RIGHT BACK DOWN! When I realized, I called the vet and they had me induce w/the ingestable peroxide...and up came TWO.

Glad your girl is OK,

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest MyHoodies

Wow.... I guess I have been luckly with Damion :o . Over the past 2 years he has probably eaten 30 socks/kneehi-s/nylons (ok just the feet portion of the nylons). Once I was able to get it out of his throat ONE time but all other times he is just too fast and it only takes him about three gulps to get it down.

I didn't know the first until he puked it up in the middle of the night; I won't go into the gross details but guess we were lucky. He is obsessive about them and I have to be really careful when folding clothes/doing laundry.

Good luck and glad everything is ok.