Best Thing For Teeth

sarabz

I've read a lot of threads here about options for taking care of teeth, and it seems that raw meaty bones are probably the way to go. BUT - living in a small apartment in NYC leaves us with few locations for feeding. No outside area, no easily-cleaned area. Crate? Maybe, but what about "residue" on bedding, and tracking in other areas of the apartment.

Suggestions? Other avenues besides RMB?

This is coming up because over the weekend, Bella's gums were bleeding after working on a rawhide. They're all over the place at my parents' house, so they're a very rare treat for B. She gets a daily Kong (but licks out the filling instead of chewing) and occasionally a beef tendon, and we brush her teeth but this obviously isn't enough.

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

I went to Ikea and bought cheap queen size sheets and when I give a raw bone, I but the sheet over the dog bed and it's easy clean up. Otherwise bully sticks are great. I like a lot of the stuff from hereand most of it will help the teeth. The other thing I like are these. Either the medium or large are fine for my big boy, but the medium is much better priced.

I switched to completely feeding raw, Lakota's teeth look great. I think it's even removed some of the staining from before, and there is no tartar at all at the gum line. I was actually just marvelling at how great her teeth look earlier today.

I put an old blanket down in the kitchen. It was very easy to teach her to keep it on the blanket. If she took it off, I picked it up and put it back where I wanted. It didn't take long before she realized if she wanted the raw meat, she would eat it where I wanted.

However, I would be happier if there was somewhere I could safely give it to her outside, but there's not.

Petzlife spray! unbelievable

It truly is! It's the first product I can honestly say, does everything it claims to do.

Wayne and Lenny both were due for dentals. After using the spray, I has the vet recheck and the vet and tech both were amazed and no dentals were needed

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

in our case petz life spray started out ok and then my males gums swelled up all red and i had to stop.

chicken back and turkey necks in this house with a big old towel over the beds.

deb

Thanks for the thoughts! We are brushing and using the PetzLife spray, but I was concerned with the bleeding gums after chewing on a rawhide. Assuming that's as positive a sign of good canine dental health as when my gums bleed after flossing :rolleyes: so thought I'd better do something about it.

Edited by sarabz

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

i always give the pups their bones inside. it's pretty gross letting them chew them in the yard...raw bones covered w/ dirt! i just place a large towel on the bed and give them their bone at the bed and bring it back to the bed if necessary. all of my dogs "get it" and learn where to munch out. i do remove some/most of the marrow since it is a tad too rich for the pups i own. also freezing the bone will decrease the mess. when they are done and there is no need for freezing, they are pretty clean. less of a mess than the slime from a rawhide. i use compressed rawhides, so only small chunks of it break off,ocassionally a bully stick or dehydrated beef tendons- their favorite.

We give ours pizzle sticks and we've also used the Petzlife gel in the past. I met a woman at Sandy Paws last year who brushes her dogs teeth every night with a little baking soda and water and I have never, in my life, seen such pristine white teeth. She said her vet said it was fine and their teeth looked amazing.

Guest Sunset123

I use ProDen PlaqueOff daily (it's a food supplement), daily brushing with KissAble toothpaste by Cain & Able, and a weekly extra-big bully stick. Pretty white chompers and fresh breath! :colgate

4758974693_5d78249bd1.jpg