Meet Our New Lady Grey In Houston!

Guest katethegreyt

Guest katethegreyt

*Warning, this is going to be gushy and long, haha.

The new addition: racing name - Halawa Beauty; age - 4.5; weight - 69 (she's a pretty big girl).

I think we're going to call her "Aoife." It's an Irish name pronounced "ee-fa" (it's like a Gaelic Eva), and it means "beautiful and radiant" and Aoife was, according to Irish legend, the greatest female warrior in the world. My fiance likes the warrior aspect of it, and I think it will look pretty on all the fancy collars she's going to get. Plus, it's a little bit special, just like her = )

So I had it all planned out - there was a perfect candidate at the adoption group (Gulf Greyhound Park just outside of Houston had a bounce that had lived with cats and had no bad habits). My fiance and I were going to go meet her last Sunday, and if she was the one, pick her up this Friday (in advance of the long weekend). So we went to meet her and luckily she was our "smart" choice and our "heart" choice - she was, in our opinion, the prettiest of the lot, and she was the most interested in us. While all of her buddies got turned out, she only had eyes for the door that lead to the hall (not turnout). Then, once in the hall, she ran down to the door that lead "home" and kept looking at us with big begging eyes. I was all, well, we have a busy week, so we'll just come get her on Friday. That way I could get all of the right stuff she needed before she got there and have the house all dog proofed and cleaned up. So we put our name on her crate and left the track.

Well my fiance turned into an 8 year old child and said, "Can we pleeeeeease turn around and go get her? Pleeeeeease? We can just stop at Petco on the way home and bring her with!!!" I didn't take much convincing because she was one that had lived in a home until 3 days before we met her, so I reasoned that she would probably be happier at our house even if I had to work...

Soooo we brought her home = ) And she hasn't taken a wrong step since. My fiance is smitten with her, and she just adores him. She's a touch finicky about her food, but if we have the perfect ratio of wet to dry, she gobbles it down like a pro. She has yet to have any accident in the house, and she hasn't once tried to chase the kitties - I've actually had to have a chat with my fat cat to tell him not to swat my poor girl in the face - she will avoid walking past him if at all possible, haha.

Her only flaw is some gas, but I can deal = ) She's a little snuggle bunny and does the cute chattering thing when she's happy or she does little bouncy play bows - we're in love.

I even think we've found a good trainer with greyhound experience so we can do some obedience classes.

OH! She knows "sit!" I was curious because one of our friends met her and said, "Can you sit?" And she popped her butt right down. So I tested it out, and she definitely knows her sit. She's learning "wait" like a perfect lady too, and she's a dream on the leash. She even felt comfortable enough to "roach" on our couch yesterday = ) She's the best decision we've made in ages, haha.

Anyway, I'll stop gushing and show you some of the cruddy phone pics I've taken. I'll try to get some better ones with my real camera before too long, but she keeps being all cute before I have time to grab my camera, haha.

At the kennel showing off her sleek lines

P88994709.jpg

More profile - "See how pretty I am? I know you want to take me home. Right? Take me home please?"

P88995011.jpg

"Success!" On the car ride home, handling it all like a lady. I think we have a good road dog!

P88995312.jpg

"My tongue is out. No, don't touch it, I like it this way."

P88995813.jpg

"Mom caved and let me on the couch already... Success!!!"

P88993606.jpg

"Oh my, apparently the couch comes with all the Grey's Anatomy you can handle... I can't handle any. Looking away..."

P88993907.jpg

"Ah yes, nobody to share the couch with. This is better..."

P88991000.jpg

"Are you trying to get my ears up? I'm not interested, sir."

P88991501.jpg

"Squeaky toy!!!!"

P88992704.jpg

"Back to sleepy time."

P88992203.jpg

"Oh man, a bed with pillows?! Now THIS is sleepy time..."

P88993105.jpg

And that's our life after only 4 days = ) She's wonderful, and once we get a bigger place, we must get 15 more, haha.

:confetti Congratulations to all of you! She's a beauty and I love the name Aoife!

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

She's beautiful! Congrats!

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Awwwww... she looks right at home already. :wub: Your life has changed forever. :beatheart

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest PiagetsMom

Here's a thought from my experiece......I kept my girl, Piaget's, racing name (she was part of a "watch" dog litter) because I liked it, but no one seems to be able to pronounce it. More often than not, when I tell someone what her name is, she becomes "P.J."......and I won't even go into what the different techs try to call her at the vet clinic when they read her name :lol I've long since stopped trying to correct them - I imagine you'll get some of that, too.

Your girl is beautiful, and I'm glad to see a bounce find her forever home! I wish you and your girl many happy years together - enjoy and contratulations! :)

Guest katethegreyt

Here's a thought from my experiece......I kept my girl, Piaget's, racing name (she was part of a "watch" dog litter) because I liked it, but no one seems to be able to pronounce it. More often than not, when I tell someone what her name is, she becomes "P.J."......and I won't even go into what the different techs try to call her at the vet clinic when they read her name :lol I've long since stopped trying to correct them - I imagine you'll get some of that, too.

Your girl is beautiful, and I'm glad to see a bounce find her forever home! I wish you and your girl many happy years together - enjoy and contratulations! :)

Oh I love the name Piaget! I would keep that too = ) I have had horses all my life and always try to work their registered names into their barn names if possible. Halawa was a bit of a mouthful (but cool), though I'm not sure we helped matters much by calling her Aoife, haha. My chunky cat from New Orleans is named Jacques-Imo, and when I say it on the phone, I always get some interesting spellings once I get to the vet. I've gotten to just calling him Fat Jack, haha. I'm sure Aoife will end up being Eva at the vet (unless they see it spelled, then only super Irish people will get it right, haha). One of our rats is named Algernon, but most people get that if they've read the book, otherwise it gets some odd looks. I guess my fiance and I like to be difficult like that = )

Thanks for all the compliments! She is a looker. I guess people don't see greyhounds very often because everyone has been commenting on her when we go on our walks to the park = ) They get very excited when they correctly guess she's a greyhound, then they ask if she's fast - she did win 3 of her races, haha. Plus she's very interested in people and would love to go up and give them all a good nosing if I'd let her. She even politely handled the extremely excited and HUGE lab puppy we met in the elevator today like an old pro.

My fiance decided last night she likes me better than him (so not true, she loves guys) and got all pouty about it, so I had her jump up in bed with him, and he was immediately soothed = )

Guest katethegreyt

Well, there's a simple solution there- he just needs to get his own Greyhound :lol

Haha, I know! If we had a bigger place, we'd probably go get another one tomorrow. I think we need another couch or more floor space for lounging before we get another one = )

Congratulations!! She is gorgeous. Her facial markings are really unusual, the way her "mask" comes down onto her muzzle. And her BIG ticking spots, so cute! I am so thrilled for you that everything's going so well!

I also think Aoife is a beautiful name (and/but I did know how to pronounce it already!).

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Lovelovelove her name! Check out my siggie tongue.gif Aoife was on my short list of girlie names - Grainne is another of my favs. Many years ago before I got my first hound, an adoption group had a boy named Saoirse (seer-sha, Freedom). I thought that was awesome too.

She is a beauty & looks like she picked the right suckers family. Greyt pictures!

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest katethegreyt

Lovelovelove her name! Check out my siggie tongue.gif Aoife was on my short list of girlie names - Grainne is another of my favs. Many years ago before I got my first hound, an adoption group had a boy named Saoirse (seer-sha, Freedom). I thought that was awesome too.

She is a beauty & looks like she picked the right suckers family. Greyt pictures!

Ooh I love the Irish names! My fiance is very Irish, and I'm at least half, so I thought it was fitting = ) Apparently Aoife is an extremely popular name in Ireland, and I love "Saoirse." How fun! I'll have to keep that in mind for the next addition, haha.

Guest IrskasMom

OMG so gorgeous and already so Happy and Content . Great Pictures and Thank you for sharing :wub::wub::wub::wub: Last but not least WELCOME and count on us , we are here to listen and support :wave:wave:wave:wave:wave

Congratulations on winning the lottery. She is beautiful......

From Wisconsin -- It's Nancy, Bob, Carla, June Bug and our newby Skorch.... along with Buffy. She's the little hound that meows.

With loving memorials to K.C., Barko and Major Turn -- all playing at the bridge.

Guest kelli123

What a wonderful story, Brings tears to my eyes, Tears of joy for all of you. She is so Cute and i love her markings, She looks like a real love bug. Thanks for sharing she is a Doll