Rawhide Yes Or Rawhide No

Guest Alefone

Guest Alefone

I 've heard yes and I've heard no,I would like to know what kind of experience do you guys have and is maybe the size of the bone important in order not to choke.I am sure this has been here before but hey it's for my Princess;)

No here. Too much risk of choking and intestinal blockage -- rawhide isn't digestible. Prefer fully digestible chews: bully sticks, dried tripe, turkey necks. Only exception is elk antlers. I only give chews while I'm around to supervise, too. Cautious and/or careful.

Guest racergirl435

What Vers said. I used to give rawhide nightly as a treat but when Seymour (my first grey) starting choking on them and passing them without digestion I stopped. Now I only give them on special occasions and once they get too small for them to hold between their paws, I take them away and throw them out. Now I prefer to give biscuits or Dentastix.

While we are not big fans of rawhide, due to the gas issues, our vet did recommend Dental Chews, for the two dogs with teeth. I have given them the chews, but, do monitor while they eat them. We also feed turkey necks, chicken feet and backs.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

My vet recommended compressed rawhide. This was after Enzo was getting sick from jerky treats. We haven't tried them yet though, just content for now with peanut-butter-in-kong. She said they are safe and good for teeth. Anyone with insight on compressed rawhide?

I recently found antlers at my local pet supply store. They were loose in a small bin at the register. They were various sizes, and cost about $1.50 an inch. They were a monotone gray. The clerk wasn't able to tell me anything about them, other than she had heard they last a long time. What do I need to know before I buy one?

Guest Lovey_Hounds

I give raw hide to all 3 of my hounds (age 2 years to 11 years) and i give it to my foster puppies too we have not had any issues other than chili has some resource guarding issues so she is separated from the other when she has hers. when they do get it they are all supervised and the only brand it get it the dentleys from petsmart.

Guest Swifthounds

No here. Too much risk of choking and intestinal blockage -- rawhide isn't digestible. Prefer fully digestible chews: bully sticks, dried tripe, turkey necks. Only exception is elk antlers. I only give chews while I'm around to supervise, too. Cautious and/or careful.

:nod

Guest KsFrets

I've been giving my dogs rawhide for 50 years no problems.

HOWEVER! the problem is the potatoe chip thin cheap imported garbage that big box pet stores call rawhide now adays. Magnus can tear up a foot long double knot from Pet Smart in a couple hours... that's NOT GOOD :( We DO NOT give our dogs that junk anymore. It's a chokathon waiting to happen. We get our American rawhide from a mom and pop pet store. It's thick and HEAVY, and sometimes I even have to saw it in half to give the pups a starting point. They last several weeks to sometimes months. We always put it up if we leave, and when they finally get it to a piece that they are no longer holding down with their paws, we throw it away. The vet have always commented on how nice the three M's teeth look.

I have never had a problem with big compressed rawhide or knotted bones with them being monitored. Rawhide chips caused problems with my first dog as an adult which was a dobie -- she'd swallow them whole.

If I had deep pockets I might feed Nylabones healthy edibles but never regular nylabones. Just can't understand the thinking that one shouldn't feed rawhide as it is not digestable, but feeding nylon is ok? :blink: How digestable is that?

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

When I got my first girlie I gave her rawhide, but it made her sick so I just never got into the habit of it. Then I gave a rawhide to one other girlie I had and she choked on it (I was right there and got it out of her throat). Now I use the large nylabones and they love those and vigorously chew on them. they get the occasional pig's ear and love those, but I monitor closely. :gh_bow:dogcookie I don't feel bad as they seem happy with what they get.

june

Summit is my first dog and we haven't really given him rawhide. I prefer natural treats like bully sticks, tendons, etc. though I do find that none of them are really long lasting enough. I don't give bones... those are tooth chippers as far as I'm concerned. I don't really like rawhide because it's so processed, and of course there are lots of horror stories to accompany it. I'm not so worried about horror stories. I monitor him when he gets things that could potentially cause a choking hazard and make sure he's chewing smart, but seriously, life isn't worth much without risks. I do lots of things that are potentially dangerous every day (like driving to school) in order to enjoy my life, I'm okay taking a small risk with my dog so that he can enjoy a good chew. But like I said, I don't like rawhide and I supervise well. If it gets too small or I don't like the way he's chewing I take it away.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest shanesmom

No rawhides here. Elton gets bully sticks, beef tendon, dehydrated trachea and chicken feet. He likes all of these and they're good for his teeth and give him something to do. He has a deer antler too and chews on that now and then.

Reference deer antlers: I find there are different sizes so I make sure the ones I buy are pretty large. If your dogs don't take right to them, you can soak them in a beef or chicken bullion cube..bring to boil and just let antler sit in it. They last several weeks to a couple of months for my greys. When they get too small for a paw to hold them down, I toss them.

Guest KsFrets
Reference deer antlers: ... They last several weeks to a couple of months for my greys. When they get too small for a paw to hold them down, I toss them.

Wow! You have a dog that can make a deer antler go away!!! Unless store bought antlers are softened when processed somehow? I've personally never seen them available in the pet stores here. We get them stright from hunter friends, after the deer is procesased. Magnus the rawhid inhaler and bleached bone splitter, has never so much as scratched the surface of the deer antler he chews on, and it's over two years old!

My neice bought her major chewer an antler.....it kept him busy for one evening; but she said she cleaned up "shards" of antler

for days. So I decided not to do that.

I'm also a no vote on rawhide. I work at a vet clinic & have seen a couple of major surgeries for blockages from rawhides.

Scared me...I won't even LOOK at them.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

I actually do give my dogs rawhide - strips - unflavored. Not giant bones, but every few days, I'll give a 2inch by 4 in strip... and we've never had any issues. It depends on the dog, and how they deal with it. 5 years - no issues. But - it depends on the dog, and if they woof and swallow it, or just leisurely chew it. Lots of times, when we get home from work, there are half-chewed soggy rawhide strips lying around. My dogs never seemed to go crazy with them.... just chew a while and leave them. Eventually, I throw out the soggy mess.

For dogs that got crazy on them , and devour all of it - I'd back off, or not give it.

Like most things - common sense rules - depends on the dog. :)