Safe Otc For Pain

Wendy has torn a pad racing around the yard. She's limping and seems quite uncomfortable. Is there a safe OTC I can give her? I have aspirin, Tylenol and Motrin on hand. Oh, and she weighs 55 lbs. Thanks!

Edited by LaFlaca

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Coated (preferably buffered) aspirin if you know your dog has no clotting issues.

But never--ever--Motrin or Tylenol. No ibuprofen. No acetaminophen. Dogs can't handle either of those.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Dogs actually can have acetaminophen, it's a myth that they can't. Cats CANNOT. Having said that, I wouldn't give it in a case like this. Aspirin, assuming it's buffered, is your best choice. You can use the low dose, or you can give one 325 mg adult tab 2x/day. I would keep in mind that aspirin can thin the blood so if the wound is bleeding, you might not want to give it.

Your best bet might be to pick up some Tramadol from your vet tomorrow if its still bothering her.

Hope it heals fast, those sorts of injuries are never any fun. :(

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

If you have human Tramdol, at home, you can give that to your dog, but, not the one that has tylenol in it. You can get Traumeel, which is a non-narcotic, holistic pain medication. Or, if you are going to your vet, you can get deramaxx or one of those kinds of pain meds for short term. Good luck.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Irene - I left you a message on your answering machine. Call me.

Leslie

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Dogs actually can have acetaminophen, it's a myth that they can't. Cats CANNOT.

The ASPCA still nixes acetaminophen for dogs--warnings of potential liver damage and red blood cell damage.

Of course, potential liver damage is one of the things experts worry about with long-term use of acetaminophen in humans, and it's possible the ASPCA's warning is nothing more than a similar concern for dogs.

I'd think that in this case a topical for the pad injury would be more beneficial than a pain-killer unless the pad injury was accompanied by some other injury to the foot. Maybe a topical cream, a bandage for padding, and a sock to keep things clean?

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Since asprin acts as a blood thinner, I sure would not be giving it for a CUT.

I'd treat the cut and pad the paw. Truthfully, sometimes with an animal, the discomfort is your friend. You don't want her to be walking on a cut foot more than she needs to. The pain is a signal to her to stay off it.

If she's in severe pain, she should be seen by the vet who can prescribe a pain killer such as Tramadol.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Thank you all for your great advice. We'll be going to the vet today as there is a slice of dangling pad that probably needs to come off. She's limping quite badly although seems her old self. I'm having trouble keeping her from doing the butt-tuck zoomies that got her inot trouble in the first place. :blink: My little weirdo...I lubs her.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".