12Yr Old Greyhound Cant Walk Straight

Hey everyone been away for awhile and im back under not so great circumstances.

My greyhound is 12 almost 13 and when i let him out tonight he was fine came back in and he almost fell over. He seems to not be able to walk right. he can stand up, has deep pain sensation in all legs. he just can walk. he can stand up but whant to curl to to the right.

Any ideas?

J

$283 later and the vets opinion is Vestibular disease. They wanted to keep him until moday but that was going to be $800 and i dont have that. Hes on anti nausea meds for the next 5 days. I hope he gets better quick, my poor guy is in bad shape.

J

If he has vestibular issues, it could EASILY be an inner ear infection. I took my cat to the vet once, sure she was not coming home with me (she was literally falling over, and one of her eyes would only open half way) and it turned out to be an ear infection that antibiotics cleared up in a few days. With a 12 year old dog, it could, of course, be any of the things the e-vet mentioned, but on Monday when you see your own vet, make sure he considers that.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest KennelMom

Yep...sounds like vestibular disease. Scared the crap outta me the first time I saw it in one of our old guys. Your pup should feel better soon...

Here's hoping it's something that clears up quickly...it's scary when we don't know what's wrong.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Vestibular disease IS very scary. Went through it a few years ago with a 12 yo non-grey. My understanding is that no one really

knows what causes it, but one possibillity is a deep inner ear infection that disrupts balance. Hope they checked her ears well.

My old girl came out of it in just a few days & lived another 2 years with no recurrence.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

How is he getting on this evening? If it's a vestibular incident with no particular cause, it can take several days to clear up.

Sending prayers that's all it is and that he will make steady progress back to his normal self.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Nitemare

Sending LOTS of get well quick wishes and prayers that he recovers quickly. in November my 17 year old border collie suffered the same thing. Only my evet bill was $405 (YIKES). This looks so awful and scarey and they have such bad nausea. We honestly didn't think he was going to make it to the evet. However, there were major strides in the beginning and then they slowed down. But w/in a month he was at about 90% and now in January, he is just about back being himself. Only difference, he got a bit picky with his food. All kibble now must contain chicken/tuna or whatever else is in the house. This is a small price to pay to have my old man back.

This is the second pup I have had to suffer throug this so if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

He has been improving more and more as the hours pass. He now walks pretty steady but stumbles a bit when turning. He has a slight head tilt to the right, not very noticable. I still carry him up and down the stairs. He still walks with a gait ( paws spread apart for balance), however he has returned to his favorite spot on the couch and is very lively and acting normal. Im hoping hes back to normal in a week or so.

Thanks everyone for the support. It was very scary esp. how we lost his brother. All kinds of thoughts went through my head.

J