Worrisome News For Jax

Guest OurLacyandJax

Guest OurLacyandJax

Hi all, our 7 year old happy boy Jax (he is a proud happytailer..) was taken to the vet this morning and he gave me some news that is potentially worrisome. A couple days ago, I noticed this swelling that can be felt when I pet him (on the right side of his spine, almost on the middle section). Was concerned about it, so took him to the vet.

He did a fine needle test, and did some cell analysis. Came back after discussing with another doc, and he reported noticing some mast cells. Some were 'immature' and that worried him. But about two months ago, he had another bump on his leg that looked like it could have been a tumor, turned out to be nothing after aspiration. And it vanished in a couple weeks. So combined with that information, the doc advised a wait-and-see approach before further tests/procedures.

My wife is terrified that he might have the dreaded C. I am just trying to calm myself - but it was a bit of a shock to my system. Jax on the other hand, is just his usual self. Happy.

So here's hoping for the best in 10-14 days. Hope it all goes away. And our prayers to all the ailing companions out there. Will post more info later.

Many prayers!!!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Our Shane, also 7 then, got a lump like that in what sounds like exactly the same spot. He was also breathing really fast (180), panting, and tending to stand in one spot and not move around. We iced the bump, per the ER instructions, and got his breathing rate down to 80-something, sleeping next to him overnight. Next morning the same thing recurred, so we took him in to the ER. They couldn't find a specific problem, but they thought it was an acute pain event of some kind. They prescribed methocarbamol and rest for five days, and it all cleared up. The bump went away.

Later (recently) it became obvious that his hips are askew. An MRI later we know that he has an old injury that has healed, but the subsequent "wear and tear" of racing and life has caused a chain reaction of things: dropped gracilis muscle, sprain on the other side, and now the skewing, which is giving him trouble walking. So he'll go to rehab.

That's probably more than you needed to know, but I wanted to give the whole story. I hope the bump is just a passing thing in Jax's case as it was for Shane.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

I've seen such lumps appear on a couple of my dogs. I've always opted to have them removed rather then spending time having them aspirated only to find out that there was an issue that needed surgery. The first time it was a benign lump on my dogs shoulder area, but the vet found that it had a 'blood source' and would have become much larger if left alone. The second lump was actually a growth on a dogs belly. When it was biopsied it was indeed cancerous, however the vet got it all during the removal with clean margins and there was no reoccurance.

I'm sort of surprised at your vets 'wait and see' approach. What is the reasoning behind that? I mean it's so easy to just have them removed and have peace of mind, rather than wait around and give it the chance to turn into something worse.

I've seen such lumps appear on a couple of my dogs. I've always opted to have them removed rather then spending time having them aspirated only to find out that there was an issue that needed surgery. The first time it was a benign lump on my dogs shoulder area, but the vet found that it had a 'blood source' and would have become much larger if left alone. The second lump was actually a growth on a dogs belly. When it was biopsied it was indeed cancerous, however the vet got it all during the removal with clean margins and there was no reoccurance.

I'm sort of surprised at your vets 'wait and see' approach. What is the reasoning behind that? I mean it's so easy to just have them removed and have peace of mind, rather than wait around and give it the chance to turn into something worse.

I would agree, especially with confirmation of immature mast cells. Sending prayers and hope that it turns out to be nothing.

Edited by duncan41

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Good thoughts for Jax. I agree that removing a lump is not a bad idea as it kind of worries you continually otherwise.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest OurLacyandJax

In all honesty, I didn't know how to react when this doc (not his usual doc) told me to wait sometime. Jax is the type of dog that seems to get one sort of bump or another. Sometimes it is just a skin tag. Sometime last year he had a small blister like bump, not reddish or anything, behind his front ankle. We waited it out, and then excised it. It was nothing. Same thing with the reddish bump on his rear leg, which looked like a pea size boil towards the end. His usual doc did a fine needle and ruled out anything serious. It went away in two weeks as the doc asked, and it was a hemangioma, I think.

Not saying the day had anything to do with his decision, but they had a few waiting, it was new years eve noon, and they close at noon. May be a bit rushed - but I was in no mental makeup to make a decision either.

Now that a day or two has passed, we think on Monday, we are going to bring him back and ask for a second opinion, and enquire about an immediate incision. Jax is also acting a bit tired - with his eyes almost rolling back as soon as he hits the bed. (Then again we all could be that way). Other than that, he is all ears and legs when we say 'outside??' :-)

Thanks again for the prayers/thoughts.

Guest OurLacyandJax

So Jax was back at the vet this morning. Over the weekend, I detected a swollen lymph gland on his throat (right side, just lower to his lower jaw), and also saw that he was lethargic, and we reported these findings. The doc decided to do an FNA on the lymph node and send it into Path. We do not know the results yet - probably within 72 hours. Some blood work is also being done. He has no fever. He always had some bad teeth, and this swollen lymph node is quite close to his really bad teeth, so the vet wants to make sure there is no connection there.

Most importantly, we have scheduled his surgery for this Friday to remove his lump. This vet (different from the one on 12/31) also thinks it feels a bit too hard, and is best it came out right away. (And I want to thank all of you who urged us in this direction as well).

Jaxaroo is also going to get his teeth cleaned, this time professionally, while he is under.

Fingers crossed for our puppy!

Edited by OurLacyandJax

Have you thought about taking him up to Ohio State and Dr Couto? Please consider at least having his lab work and health record emailed or faxed to up them. You might also give them a call. You can just call the small animal clinic and they will find someone for you to talk with.

I live near Memphis and take my greyhounds up to Ohio State to the Greyhound Health and Wellness Program. The phone number for the small animal clinic is 614-292-3551. Fax is 614-292-1454.

They see so much cancer up there, and have the latest in treatments.

Hugs

Edited by Tallgreydogmom

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Guest OurLacyandJax

Have you thought about taking him up to Ohio State and Dr Couto? Please consider at least having his lab work and health record emailed or faxed to up them. You might also give them a call. You can just call the small animal clinic and they will find someone for you to talk with.

I live near Memphis and take my greyhounds up to Ohio State to the Greyhound Health and Wellness Program. The phone number for the small animal clinic is 614-292-3551. Fax is 614-292-1454.

Hugs

TallGreyDogMom,

Just started reading about Dr.Couto and the OSU-GWP, and it sounds wonderful. So wonderful in fact I just became a member of it. If it can be useful for my greys, good. Else it will be useful for some grey, wouldn't it? Thanks for the info.

I will keep this info close - and will consult at least, at first. (And that is indeed a long drive from Memphis. We are in Saint Louis, so it is still around 7.5 hours.)

Hugs

TallGreyDogMom,

Just started reading about Dr.Couto and the OSU-GWP, and it sounds wonderful. So wonderful in fact I just became a member of it. If it can be useful for my greys, good. Else it will be useful for some grey, wouldn't it? Thanks for the info.

I will keep this info close - and will consult at least, at first. (And that is indeed a long drive from Memphis. We are in Saint Louis, so it is still around 7.5 hours.)

Just wanted to let you know that there are people here (central Ohio) that can put you up in their homes. This saves the cost of a hotel and provides moral support. Just let me know if you decide to come to OSU:

Jane

finewhipador-drool@yahoo.com

614-523-0754

:hope Hope it turns out to be nothing serious and Jax will be fine.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest sheila

Most importantly, we have scheduled his surgery for this Friday to remove his lump. This vet (different from the one on 12/31) also thinks it feels a bit too hard, and is best it came out right away. (And I want to thank all of you who urged us in this direction as well).

Jaxaroo is also going to get his teeth cleaned, this time professionally, while he is under.

Good for you and Jax. IMO it's better to do something and find out it is nothing, then do nothing and find out later that it IS something. Also good planning on getting those teeth cleaned at the same time. :)

It is well worth the drive from Memphis. I drive our greyhounds up to Ohio State for their amputation and chemo. Our local vet says even with the gas and motel we are doing the best for our greyhounds by taking them to the best place possible. And in my mind I am at peace. I know I have given them the best medical care possible.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Guest OurLacyandJax

Hugs

TallGreyDogMom,

Just wanted to let you know that there are people here (central Ohio) that can put you up in their homes. This saves the cost of a hotel and provides moral support. Just let me know if you decide to come to OSU:

Jane

finewhipador-drool@yahoo.com

614-523-0754

Jane, thanks so much for that amazing offer, and I will surely be considering this if we have to bring him up there. Appreciate it. We just hope the vets here in Millis Animal Hospital (whom the Greyhound Companions of MO regard highly) can get the job done, and i am so hoping whatever Jax has was caught early enough.

Jax is on some antibiotics now, just in case his swollen lymph nodes were because of a tooth infection or something. He was all jumpy and happy this morning, and his appetite seems to be nice and good. :)

I am guessing we will know soon about the lymph node FNA results.

Guest OurLacyandJax

It is well worth the drive from Memphis. I drive our greyhounds up to Ohio State for their amputation and chemo. Our local vet says even with the gas and motel we are doing the best for our greyhounds by taking them to the best place possible. And in my mind I am at peace. I know I have given them the best medical care possible.

After going through the OSU website, I can completely see your point. And if it comes to that, I think you all have convinced me to take him there.

I noticed they offer Chemo drugs for free, for members. Does that require taking the dogs over to OSU, or will they ship that to us, if we request it?

Guest MorganKonaAlex

Not sure if any of this had changed with the recent changes at OSU, but the policy was:

- free chemo for ex-racers. I had an grey that was not tattooed and he didn't qualify.

- will ship to your local vet if needed.

- No choice in what drug is provided. I wanted carboplatin for Demon's osteo. They would provide doxorubicin but not carboplantin.

Great program though.

Guest OurLacyandJax

Not sure if any of this had changed with the recent changes at OSU, but the policy was:

- free chemo for ex-racers. I had an grey that was not tattooed and he didn't qualify.

- will ship to your local vet if needed.

- No choice in what drug is provided. I wanted carboplatin for Demon's osteo. They would provide doxorubicin but not carboplantin.

Great program though.

Thank you. Good to know. And sorry to hear about Demon. He was so young.

After going through the OSU website, I can completely see your point. And if it comes to that, I think you all have convinced me to take him there.

I noticed they offer Chemo drugs for free, for members. Does that require taking the dogs over to OSU, or will they ship that to us, if we request it?

First of all, I am glad you are supporting the program by joining the website. However, you do not need to join the website to use their services. They provide free email and phone consults and also free chemo drugs (just certain ones) to any tattooed retired racer. If you are a member of their website, please submit requests via the site-- this helps them track the requests and automates their metrics. Of course, feel free to call and email if it is urgent. Once again, signing up for the website provides needed funds for this amazing program.

As to the chemo drugs. You do not need to bring your hound to OSU. They will ship directly to your vet. They do not have all possible chemo drugs available. For example, they will typically be able to provide doxorubicin for osteo but not carboplatin.

If you do bring your dog to OSU, there might be a study that you can join. This can provide cutting edge care at little cost to you. Very often, these treatments are only available if you come to OSU. There have been times that a local greyhound owner has taken someone elses hound into their home for some time so that the hound can join a study. I can't guarantee that this kind of long term care would be available, but it is sometimes possible.

For my Joe, he received both doxorubicin and suramin following his amputation due to osteo. The suramin is only available if your hound comes to OSU and can not be shipped elsewhere. I did have to pay for blood work and administration but this was on the order of $100 to $150 for each time ($500 to $750 for the whole course). I am told by others that OSU's normal charges for admin of chemo are less expensive than most places. Joe is also receiving Palladia at no charge for 6 months as part of a study. This is a savings of $300 to $400 a month. After six months, I will need to pay for it if it is still indicated. Your dog has to be seen at OSU for the Palladia study (like most if not all of their studies).

I hope this info helps.

Jane

I just wanted to add that I drove from NJ to OSU for my Diamond to have her leg amputated and then to have Pearl's spleen removed. (unfortunately, Pearl's outcome wasn't good. She was gone within 2 weeks).

Anyway, Jane was my Ohio hostess, and considering the stress I was under (amputating a 12 yr old's leg), Jane was a Godsend.

I won't hesitate a nanosecond to go out to OSU again (it's a 9-10 hr drive for me).

I hope the lump is nothing, but I'm glad it's getting removed.

My Jade (I just adopted her in March has already had 3 lumps removed. The first on her chest was a hemagioma. The second on her neck was a tricoepithelioma, and the third which we just did last week from her mouth, I haven't gotten back yet.

I'm starting to call her lumpy. But everytime she gets a lump, it will get removed.

good luck!

Edited by MP_the4pack

Guest OurLacyandJax

I just wanted to add that I drove from NJ to OSU for my Diamond to have her leg amputated and then to have Pearl's spleen removed. (unfortunately, Pearl's outcome wasn't good. She was gone within 2 weeks).

Anyway, Jane was my Ohio hostess, and considering the stress I was under (amputating a 12 yr old's leg), Jane was a Godsend.

I won't hesitate a nanosecond to go out to OSU again (it's a 9-10 hr drive for me).

I hope the lump is nothing, but I'm glad it's getting removed.

My Jade (I just adopted her in March has already had 3 lumps removed. The first on her chest was a hemagioma. The second on her neck was a tricoepithelioma, and the third which we just did last week from her mouth, I haven't gotten back yet.

I'm starting to call her lumpy. But everytime she gets a lump, it will get removed.

good luck!

Thanks again for the note. That is some amazing work, all of you are doing there for your greys. I am guessing our pups have been too good to us in terms of their illness/sickness so far in their lives. All minor stuff.

What you all go through, or already went through - is truly eye-opening. And all of your pups are just plain lucky to even have had known you. And if tested like how you have been tested, I am sure hoping to rise to the occasion.

A hug to Lumpy for me. :-) Is Diamond doing well?