Foot Wound

Guest Sunset123

Guest Sunset123

Hi Everyone--

Arrisa went to stay for a few nights in the home of another greyhound. Within an hour she'd gotten excited in their kitchen and slid on their kitchen floor into... something. (I have a big rug in my kitchen, so she's not used to slippery floors.)

Her host gave me a call, and we both agreed that we probably didn't need to go to a vet unless it became infected during healing. The cut is on the top of her foot, and is pretty open (there's really nothing that could have been sutured), but not especially deep. Antibiotic ointment was applied and it was wrapped up and changed often.

I came and got her 4 days post-injury, and saw that while it looks like it's going to take a long time to heal, it doesn't look inflamed and there isn't any sign of pus. I brought her home and did my own wrapping with triple-antibiotic ointment, Telfa, gauze, vet wrap, and then a bootie.

What I'm wondering is whether I'm doing the right thing by wrapping it up so much. Certainly I want it wrapped well if I leave her by herself so she doesn't mess with it, but should I be leaving it uncovered at other times? When should I do that and how much should I be doing it?

Of course I'll make sure her beds are very clean, and I might put an extra clean sheet over her beds, but because it's on her foot I'm also kind of worried about when she lays with her feet tucked up under her. It seems a little gross.

eEXLk.jpg

Edited by Sunset123

Suds hS one a little higher up but underneath. It was looking good... Like your picture, until he ripped it open last need. Blood all over the house. Blood always looks worse on a white dog. These things take forever to heal and do heal faster if you can let the air get at them. Sometimes I just use a lightweight sock just to provide protection from yuck when they plop down somewhere. Better than trying to pull fuzz out of the wound . Right now Suds has a fat foot because I wrapped it goo tight last night. He has a very loose covering on it and I'm here go watch him. Tucker once had one that took months to heal. These can also get infected easily. I feel for ya! Good luck!

Guest Sunset123

Suds hS one a little higher up but underneath. It was looking good... Like your picture, until he ripped it open last need. Blood all over the house. Blood always looks worse on a white dog. These things take forever to heal and do heal faster if you can let the air get at them. Sometimes I just use a lightweight sock just to provide protection from yuck when they plop down somewhere. Better than trying to pull fuzz out of the wound . Right now Suds has a fat foot because I wrapped it goo tight last night. He has a very loose covering on it and I'm here go watch him. Tucker once had one that took months to heal. These can also get infected easily. I feel for ya! Good luck!

Thanks! I just checked out your recent Suds thread and I'm going to borrow some of those tips (Epsom soak, etc.) as well.

I forgot to mention this in Suds thread, but I use a coloidal silver spray on all cuts and abrassions. We haven't needed antibiotics for secondary infections on minor injuries since I did that. Feet scrapes and cuts can be a pain because of all the possible contamination they come in contact with.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Keeping it dry is going to be the biggest problem I think. If it's just superficial - only through the skin and not into the flesh beneath - it will heal on it's own eventually. But because it's on a part of her body that is not immobile, it will remain open for a long time. She'll likely have a scar as well.

I would keep an eye on it and leave it unwrapped as much as possible. Epsom salt soaks, or even just warm compresses will help. However, if she starts licking or chewing it, or it starts to tear more, it needs to be covered and maybe seen by a vet.

Such a pretty grl! Hope she feels better soon!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Sunset123

I forgot to mention this in Suds thread, but I use a coloidal silver spray on all cuts and abrassions. We haven't needed antibiotics for secondary infections on minor injuries since I did that. Feet scrapes and cuts can be a pain because of all the possible contamination they come in contact with.

Fortunately it's on the top of the foot, so it's easier for me to keep it clean than if it were on the under-side. I'm looking into coloidal silver now!

Keeping it dry is going to be the biggest problem I think. If it's just superficial - only through the skin and not into the flesh beneath - it will heal on it's own eventually. But because it's on a part of her body that is not immobile, it will remain open for a long time. She'll likely have a scar as well.

I would keep an eye on it and leave it unwrapped as much as possible. Epsom salt soaks, or even just warm compresses will help. However, if she starts licking or chewing it, or it starts to tear more, it needs to be covered and maybe seen by a vet.

Such a pretty grl! Hope she feels better soon!

Oh, yeah, it's going to be a big honking scar. You're right about being in a difficult place because it's not immobile. Fortunately, she's seeming to understand that she shouldn't do too much walking on it, and she's not messing with it at this point.

Poor Arrisa. That looks ow-ey.

One of my greys used to lick between two particular toes until the area was raw and bleeding. I tried as much as possible to keep his toes clean and not bandaged; however, often at night or times I couldn't monitor him I put a long-ish lightweight white sock (not quite a knee sock; more like a sport sock) on him and and wrapped paper first aid tape around the sock above the joint so it wouldn't slide off.

Yes, you may have to purchase a lot of tape but it worked well. The sock (if not too heavy) will allow some breathing room.

As for the scar, a few months ago one of my boys (who is quite limber) scratched a coin-size chunk of fur and skin off the back of his ear. (He scratches the back of his neck with one of his rear legs and must have had a rough nail which tore his ear). Anyway, most of the fur grew back and the ear looks pretty darn good considering.

Provided the wound it not infected, you might apply Animal Scents Ointment (made by Young Living) to the area. My petsitter gave me some to apply to my boy's ear. I was very impressed. It's a salve of mink oil, lecithin, beeswax, lanolin, essential oils. No artificial, synthetic, toxic badstuff.

The ointment is "designed to cover and seal infected wounds and seal in essential oils." Reminds me of Bag Balm. I think you can order it online. The jar I purchased via my petsitter cost just under $20.

Also, I'm a huge fan of Glad Press'n Seal. Great for covering bandages and keeping them clean and dry.

I know how trying the daily wound care routine can be! Good luck!

Edited by IndyandHollyluv

As long as they don't mess with them, I try to leave them open. I only put a bootie on them to go outside. I also use the Epsom Salt soak.....debrades the wounds and cleans it up really nice. I mix the salts in a stewing pot and let them stand in it for as long as they will stand still while giving belly rubs. I also use a turkey baster down in the water to make a swishy bath to help clean the wound.

Ditto to the Coloidal Silver.

And I'd also leave it open.

See if you can find some of these bootsfor when she's outside, just to protect it/keep it clean on her walks.

Nixon has had issues with one of his back toe nails and these boots are amazing.

They go on easily and he doesn not mind wearing them at all.

Size Medium (blue) is the recomended size for greyhounds.'

They come in a pack of a dozen, for about $20.

We have been using the same boot every day on our walks for the past 10 days....and we walk through some pretty rough terain.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest Sunset123

See if you can find some of these bootsfor when she's outside, just to protect it/keep it clean on her walks.

Nixon has had issues with one of his back toe nails and these boots are amazing.

We have been using the same boot every day on our walks for the past 10 days....and we walk through some pretty rough terain.

I went out looking for Colloidal Silver yesterday. Did you order it, or did you find it in a store?

You might need to go to a health food store or section, or maybe someplace like Coastal Farm & Ranch (I think it's used for livestock???), to find colloidal silver.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I went out looking for Colloidal Silver yesterday. Did you order it, or did you find it in a store?

I got mine from TinasTroops

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest Sunset123

I found my colloidal silver, and I've used some diluted betadine. I've been doing epsom soaks and I'm keeping it uncovered for as long as I can keep my eye on her and keep her on clean towels.

I just have to say: the Glad Press-n-Seal idea was GENIUS! Way easier than tape and sandwich baggies for pee breaks. It's been wet here, so I've been putting on plastic before we go outside.

Guest lizmego

If your dog isn't licking at it, I wouldn't bandage it.

I've had great results with Colostrum Plus (an article in Whole Dog Journal informed me about it). Basically powered bovine colostrum (its for people too, you can find it at any healthfood store or Amazon.com). Had a boo boo like that on Dell's foot and making the Colostrum powder into a paste and applying it to the wound (keeping Dell away from it, cause its very yummy to him) for a couple of minutes or cover it with a towel while it penetrates the wound.

Guest borzoix4

Aww poor baby!

What I do for paw wounds is first after bleeding stops, I take a mason jar, add enough beta iodine to make the warm water look like very dark tea, then put the paw in the jar. Swish the jar around slightly to clean the paw, then using a towel it will not matter if it stains, pat the paw dry. Then wait for the paw to dry, and apply neosporan on the cut, and wrap it gently ( I use paper towel and tape. Let that stay on the paw about 20 minutes. Try to keep the dog quiet but really enclosing the paw too much can make infection so let it stay open as much as possible.

Usually when the dog goes out I slip on a sock with a plastic bag and a wrapped paper towel to keep the wound from reopening, but once inside, repeat the Iodine routine again.

Guest Swifthounds

If she's not obsessing over it, I'd leave it open, keep it clean and keep an eye on it.

:nod

I usually wrap only if it's deep or actively bleeding/open. Your photo looks like it's well on it's way to healing. Infection or bleeding is unlikely at this point and, if she'll leave it alone, the air will be better for healing.

Guest Sunset123

Aww poor baby!

What I do for paw wounds is first after bleeding stops, I take a mason jar, add enough beta iodine to make the warm water look like very dark tea, then put the paw in the jar. Swish the jar around slightly to clean the paw, then using a towel it will not matter if it stains, pat the paw dry. Then wait for the paw to dry, and apply neosporan on the cut, and wrap it gently ( I use paper towel and tape. Let that stay on the paw about 20 minutes. Try to keep the dog quiet but really enclosing the paw too much can make infection so let it stay open as much as possible.

Usually when the dog goes out I slip on a sock with a plastic bag and a wrapped paper towel to keep the wound from reopening, but once inside, repeat the Iodine routine again.

I've been doing all of that. :) I've been keeping her wrapped up only when I'm sleeping or can't stay home with her and for walks. Poor thing can't understand why I'm insisting that she sleep all day in a certain position, but she's being pretty brave.

Guest Sunset123

If she's not obsessing over it, I'd leave it open, keep it clean and keep an eye on it.

:nod

I usually wrap only if it's deep or actively bleeding/open. Your photo looks like it's well on it's way to healing. Infection or bleeding is unlikely at this point and, if she'll leave it alone, the air will be better for healing.

It's been a week and it still bleeds. Should I worry? I'm not seeing any scabbing. I

It doesn't ooze when she's just sitting there and it's uncovered. I think it must be when she walks.

Edited by Sunset123