Dominant Or Submissive?

How do you know if your grey is dominant or submissive? Especially if you only have one greyhound?

How do I tell what my greyhound is? :unsure Seems like a simple question, but it's tough for me (being a total dog newb) to know. On playdates when she runs she'll growl a little, with some dogs it's more than others though.

Anyone have any links to share perhaps?

GT is the best, what a greyt source for info...there are amazing people on here, thank you all :bow

Greyhound Collars : www.collartown.ca

Maggie (the human servant), with Miss Bella, racing name "A Star Blackieto"

13380965654_dba9a12b29.jpg

I don't think of it as an either-or kind of question. Dogs, like people, will be stubborn and pushy about some things they want or don't want, and laidback about other things. Many books by reputable animal behaviorists (and more recent journal articles) have backed off of the dominant/submissive way of viewing dogs and wild relations of them, and realize that sometimes they lead, sometimes they follow and sometimes they don't do anything [Monty, I'm looking at you]. It depends on the behavior and the specific situation.

In our house Allie always walks in front when we're on walks, pushes in front of Monty to sniff something - does that mean she's "dominant"? Maybe. But maybe she's just really excited to go on walks and always wants to see new things and know what's so interesting that Monty is sniffing that she's missed in her hurry and is just always in a flurry and is a busy busy girl.

Think of it as bossiness and selfishness. It will manifest itself differently in every situation and will be different depending on who is around. Does your dog lead or follow you through doors? Wait patiently at meal time? "claim" any spaces, even the human ones? How is she around other dogs? Head and tail held high, specifically higher or on top of other dogs? Does she back away from confrontation? All these things will give you some hints.

Being bitey while running could either be dominance, competitiveness or both.

Hope that helps a little!

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Guest auforygirl

In my family,we have 3 dogs that live in 3 different houses but meet regularly my girl my sister's boy and my mom's girl. My girl is the first grey in the family and actually lived in all three houses before the dogs came to live there so she sort of looks at all 3 houses as hers. My girl is what I would call dominate with other dogs, she is very obedient and submissive to people. Dominate dogs are not just crazy humping meanies - my girl is pretty laid back 99.9% of the time. She just does NOT allow any dog to mount her she doesn't do it to any dog so she doesn't want it done to her. She also wants space when she is laying down and every now and then she might pull rank for a better sleeping spot.

Really depends :) . A dog can be dominant in some respects and not so dominant in others, and dogs can swap roles throughout the day depending on who's feeling feistiest.

For example, if another dog approaches his food bowl while he's eating, Joseph will back right off. He won't make any move to defend his meal. But if another dog approaches while he's playing with a toy? He'll defend that with a growl and a look -- not really aggressive, just warning. Most times when the dogs are clustered up at the back door, waiting to come in, Gidget will elbow her way in first. But occasionally Joseph wants to go in first, and he does. So, different reactions to different situations.

Dogs who get along together best tend to be those who are pretty easygoing about most things ... which means most greyhounds tend to get along. It can be hard to tell on first acquaintance if dogs will get on OK, especially if one of the dogs is a bit nervous or reserved in new situations. It's useful to try to watch *both* dogs' behavior -- if one pesters the other, does the pestered growl and the pesteree *cheerfully* back off, then back to business as usual? Basically, do they seem to listen to each other? Not a guarantee, but usually a good sign.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thanks for the replies. I'm basically trying to see what kind of greyhound would work best with my Bella. After some thinking (that's why my brain hurts! :lol ) I am starting to see that Bella probaby likes smaller dogs. At the dog park she runs/plays with the small dogs, she almost always stays away from the bigger ones. Perhaps I should start with size, then find a personality that would work with Bella.

Might be hard to find though, not many greyhounds are smaller than 62lbs Bella right? :unsure

I bet she would love an easy going male like Phoenix. It's hard to go wrong with a dog like him.

Loca was 55 lbs. but was the sort of dog who could control an entire playgroup full of dogs with one look. She needed an easy going guy like Phene.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

How do you know if your grey is dominant or submissive? Especially if you only have one greyhound?

When used appropriately dominant & submissive describe a behavior not the dog, his personality or his temperament. Some behaviors may be submissive others dominant. She may use more submissive behaviors with one dog than another or more one day than another. Ditto with dominant behaviors. It is not a personality type.

Growling is often a part of play. Just as we play differently with different people, dogs often play differently with different dogs. Growling may be part of play with one dog but not feel appropriate to her when playing with another. I'll roughhouse & make growly noises when playing with one of my dogs but that would send my Greyhound Venus running to her bed. Or not... On very rare occasions she actually enjoys it.

Why are you trying to figure this out? Are you worried about her behavior with other dogs? Does the growling seem excessive, inappropriate, aggressive or fearful? Or are you just curious why the different style of play with some dogs? Oh... never mind, just read your second post. Well, you may be surprised by the size thing. I mean it may be that she prefers smaller dogs but in the end it is the personality that counts. I'd say your best bet is to look for a dog that seems to fit you, your family, your lifestyle & then when that's narrowed down the choices you can let Bella have the final say. Would that be a submissive act on your part? Would that make Bella the dominant dog? :lol Nay, just kiddin'.

Thanks for the replies. I'm basically trying to see what kind of greyhound would work best with my Bella. After some thinking (that's why my brain hurts! :lol ) I am starting to see that Bella probaby likes smaller dogs. At the dog park she runs/plays with the small dogs, she almost always stays away from the bigger ones. Perhaps I should start with size, then find a personality that would work with Bella.

Might be hard to find though, not many greyhounds are smaller than 62lbs Bella right? :unsure

The easiest way is to take her with you, and let her pick out the other dog. If you are getting the new one from the same rescue group Bella came from, send Bill an email, he will be able to help you pick out an appropriate companion.

Believe it or not, you can find males in the 60 to 65lb. range. A lot of females are in the 60lb. range also.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Or you can adopt from a group like GLOWH or GINA who will help you choose the right dog.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I bet she would love an easy going male like Phoenix. It's hard to go wrong with a dog like him.

Loca was 55 lbs. but was the sort of dog who could control an entire playgroup full of dogs with one look. She needed an easy going guy like Phene.

Interesting. So what time can I come pick Phene up at? :lol

Am I overthinking everything here? I'm one of those, research, then change my mind, research more...then decide types. But with adopting another grey, I think I'd just have to let Bella decide, just like Kudzu says. :blush Perhaps I should look into fostering? Then hopefully have a fail :P

Or you can adopt from a group like GLOWH or GINA who will help you choose the right dog.

Yes, that could work as well.

Edited by Yamaha_gurl

Guest Jubilee251

Am I overthinking everything here? I'm one of those, research, then change my mind, research more...then decide types. But with adopting another grey, I think I'd just have to let Bella decide, just like Kudzu says. :blush Perhaps I should look into fostering? Then hopefully have a fail :P

Yes! :lol

I'm not sure how your group works, but when we thought we might adopt Jet, we took Molly to the kennels where the dogs are boarded and let them play together in a room, and took them for a walk together. We watched for any bossiness, snarkiness, any signs that they wouldn't get along...and there wasn't any. So we took Jet home to foster with intent.

Molly can be dominant - she has pinned dogs before, on rare occasions is a resource guarder (new toys, mostly), and definitely does not take things lying down. But she can also be really easygoing - Jet is giant and doesn't know his own size, and Molly lets him (unintentionally) shove her around. So it's not always a simple matter of who's dominant and who's not.

Edited by Jubilee251

Guest Giselle

When used appropriately dominant & submissive describe a behavior not the dog, his personality or his temperament. Some behaviors may be submissive others dominant. She may use more submissive behaviors with one dog than another or more one day than another. Ditto with dominant behaviors. It is not a personality type.

:thumbs-up That's exactly right.

Now, Yamaha_gurl, if you're trying to find a compatible second dog, you ARE asking about personality. So what you should strive to stay away from is the "dominant vs submissive" label because, in this situation, it's just not helpful.

It looks like your pup is more easy-going and laidback. Great! Your pup will likely get along with a vast majority of other greys. Like others before me, I recommend letting your pup choose the second dog. It's the easiest solution, most pain-free.

It took us 2 years to find the right addition to our family. We choose an adoption agency that let us meet a lot of dogs and "test" the two of them together. My gold standards were, 1)Can I walk them together without too much fuss, and 2)Auggie didn't need to "play" with the second, just acceptance (I had seen him get depressed when he thought greys he wasn't fond of weren't leaving).

Nick fit the bill, but like I said, it took 2 years. My philosophy is if it's meant to be, it will be. Sometime it's hard to be that patient though :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DarkHorse

I definitely think that for getting another dog, either having a group work with you (and meet and spend time with Bella) or having her pick her companion out is best. That being said, there might be some things you can determine. For instance, judging by what I've observed when she runs with my two, the gender of the dog is completely irrelevant. She's not Araley, being standoffish to other females. She might like a big softie like Dexter, because she'll be able to push him around a bit but still count on him to provide company. She might like another small spitfire girlie to play with. She won't like a dog that tries to push her around outside of play, though, so that's important to note. She's definitely a bit of a bossy britches (seems typical of the girls, from what I know). So if you're working with a group, you can tell them that and they'll know not to suggest another bossy dog. Keep working from things you observe like that and you'll develop an idea of her general personality. If you need guinea pigs, my pups are (generally) happy to oblige, though neither will get bossy.

Bella is confident. I'd suggest a laid back male. I've noticed she dominates the females at play group. Perhaps that's because Ace, Jacob and Ben are all pretty laid back though. But that's always been my gut feeling with Bella, Luckily, there are a lot of laid-back greyhounds to choose from (wow, that was profound, wasn't it :lol)

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

So, I usually say this in these threads.

I have five hounds currently. They all get along and we have a fairly stable pack structure. There are no fights other than playing, no squabbles over anything.

None of my hounds met any of the others before they came here to live. Three are failed fosters, one was a special situation, and one hard-luck case who we knew would probably stay before she came. I did take their personalities into account when accepting a foster, but it was mostly who needed our home the most at that time.

They all get along because I expect them too and I work at it with them. Greyhounds seem to be unique in that they are used to getting along with a wide variety of personalities, and rarely have any big issues that can't be overcome by training and management.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest PhillyPups

Like many, I have 5 here who never met before coming home and I have.a very stable pack. As far as "dominance" "alpha" whatever term people like to throw out, I don't see it as one over the other. It depends on the situation who takes the lead, and 4 of my 5 are very confident dogs.

I do understand as when I first went from one to 2, I did have them meet and Runner and SugarBear had a magic between them. When I lost Sugs Stepper picked out his buddy, not the one I was looking for, but definetely the one we needed. That was the last any met before coming home. Before DonnieDude joined us I did ask Heather if he would like cheesesteaks, and more importantly how he would get along with my pack. She said perfectly and Heather was right on.

In my pack, I might add 3 are retired broods and they get along fabulously.

Good luck in your search. I find the bigger the boy the goofier and usually more laid back.

My first broodie, BarbieJade, who was all of 56 lbs ruled the three 90 lb boys she lived with and she did it all with a look, but then she was The Queen. :lol

Edited by PhillyPups

Guest BlingDogs

When it comes to other dogs, Dory usually wants to be the dominant (she was a momma, after all). She will growl if they don't back off. But if she's stolen something off the counter (bad girl!) and I say ".....Dory... Drop it..." she'll drop it and hide :lol: