Goldie's Not Good :-(

Guest Energy11

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just coming out of a migraine, Dee, and seeing this for the first time. I'm so sorry for everything you and your pups are going through. :grouphug

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest Energy11

Thank you, ALL for your good wishes and very informed responses! Goldie is now on Phenobarb, and is drowsy, as can be expected. She had a good night, and is still a little weak oh her back legs. THIS has me leaning toward a stroke, and so does Dr. Beau (my former vet/employer and friend). I will still give the phenobarb, but did add 1/2 81 mg low dose aspirin/ given with generic Pepcid, JUST in case we are looking at a stroke. I SAW both her episodes, and to me, they looked like focal seizures... BUT, strokes in dogs are different than in humans.

As imagined with the Pheno, Goldie is very hungry, and drinking a lot.

One of you guys mentioned her thyroid. It was OK about seven months ago, when she had her physical, BUT, yes, it needs to be checked again, soon.

That is about it for now. I passed out tired at 7 p.m. last night, and had DH on "watch," for me. Between Goldie and dealing with my Dad, who is home from rehab, and all ... I am wiped out. Migraines? I must keep Imitex in business!

God Bless all of you for caring, AND for your insightful ideas! Love, Dee

Edited by Energy11

Guest borzoix4

Okay I have another idea of a possible source of this. I was laying in bed thinking about this thread and my husband mentioned hunting today, and that is when it hit me.

Remind me- didn't this all occur after a walk in the woods? The reason why I ask is that at least here, it is hunting season. Hunters use products like " come here deer' or sprays or attractants of doe musk etc. I do know that if injested, this can make a dog sick. And some of the symptoms you discribed. Just a thought.

Before I go any farther I just wanted to find out first if being out in the woods was the case.

Guest Energy11

Okay I have another idea of a possible source of this. I was laying in bed thinking about this thread and my husband mentioned hunting today, and that is when it hit me.

Remind me- didn't this all occur after a walk in the woods? The reason why I ask is that at least here, it is hunting season. Hunters use products like " come here deer' or sprays or attractants of doe musk etc. I do know that if injested, this can make a dog sick. And some of the symptoms you discribed. Just a thought.

Before I go any farther I just wanted to find out first if being out in the woods was the case.

Another GREAT idea, but we walked on my neighbor's property and ours. We have a locking gate to our road, and also we are always aware of who, if anyone, is up here. I doubt it was that, but, again, ... I appreciate all the amazingly informed ideas!

BUT, I have decided, NO MORE WALKS IN THE WODDS ... even on ours or our neighbor's property. We will stay on the front area, which is sort of manicured!

Guest borzoix4

Another GREAT idea, but we walked on my neighbor's property and ours. We have a locking gate to our road, and also we are always aware of who, if anyone, is up here. I doubt it was that, but, again, ... I appreciate all the amazingly informed ideas!

BUT, I have decided, NO MORE WALKS IN THE WODDS ... even on ours or our neighbor's property. We will stay on the front area, which is sort of manicured!

Yea because the only other thing I can think of is like a mushroom or a buffa frog, but then again- at least here, its too cold for that to occur.

Hugs to you and continued thoughts and prayers for recovery.

One more thought- a really low thyroid can give the impression of seizure or even a stroke. Have you done a full thyroid panel?

Edited by borzoix4

Guest Energy11

Yea because the only other thing I can think of is like a mushroom or a buffa frog, but then again- at least here, its too cold for that to occur.

One more thought- a really low thyroid can give the impression of seizure or even a stroke. Have you done a full thyroid panel?

We, too, have been too cold, (*finally) for the mushroom or toads. I don't walk in the woods till FEW GOOD hard freezes. RE: the thyroid., I will definitely bring her in next week to check that! She had a full panel done about seven months ago, but, as you mentioned, an extremely low thyroid can cause behavior like this, as well as behavioral changes.

Thanks AGAIN for your input!

Guest borzoix4

We, too, have been too cold, (*finally) for the mushroom or toads. I don't walk in the woods till FEW GOOD hard freezes. RE: the thyroid., I will definitely bring her in next week to check that! She had a full panel done about seven months ago, but, as you mentioned, an extremely low thyroid can cause behavior like this, as well as behavioral changes.

Thanks AGAIN for your input!

Yea our Femka, as the vet put it, had a crashing thyroid. We had to run a full panel on her every 6 months and if any changes, then it went to 3 months. We just continued to work with it, and no- it had nothing to do with her death in case you are worried.

The pheno may be adding to that rear end weakness to Dee so as long as she's on it you may not see great improvement in that area until her body adjusts.

Hope you start seeing some improvement soon.

Some other symptoms of a brain tumor we experienced and I'm sure these would be different depending where in the brain the tumor is (if there is one). Personality changes, Emmy went flat, no tail wags, no happy dances, loss of sense of smell and taste and loss of sight. I'm sure there are more that we didn't experience but just something to look for. I wouldn't normally post these but your a paramedic and I'm pretty sure you know all this already.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Energy11

The pheno may be adding to that rear end weakness to Dee so as long as she's on it you may not see great improvement in that area until her body adjusts.

Hope you start seeing some improvement soon.

Some other symptoms of a brain tumor we experienced and I'm sure these would be different depending where in the brain the tumor is (if there is one). Personality changes, Emmy went flat, no tail wags, no happy dances, loss of sense of smell and taste and loss of sight. I'm sure there are more that we didn't experience but just something to look for. I wouldn't normally post these but your a paramedic and I'm pretty sure you know all this already.

Thanks, Judy! I was thinking about the Pheno and the wobbliness this morning. SOOOO tired yesterday, my mind was not working right. Goldie HAS had personality changes, but unlike Emmy, she became EXTRA FULL OF ENERGY, and ran all over the house, barking, etc. AND, she whined NIGHTLY and howled. That was NEW behavior for her. As I may have mentioned in the first post, I had a scheduled vet appt. for her next week, to check her blood work. Thanks again for all the input. Hugs to you and the family! Dee

Guest Energy11

Sending good thoughts for Goldie. How hard to be going through this.

My middle name is Golda . . . after my great-grandmother Goldie. :)

Aw... that is CUTE! Thanks for the good wishes! Love to your girl, Beth, from my Girl, Goldie, too, and from Cari and my three boys!

Sending lots of prayers!

Thank you! Her birthday is Monday! I think I will order her a Burpdog cake! :-))

Edited by Energy11

Guest bluefawn

Hi DEE! Just seeing this thread! Sending lots of prayers and white light for Goldie and Oakly too! You are such a good Mom, and I know your furkids are in the best of hands! I hope there is a good update soon smile.gif Love to allwub.gif

I'm sorry to hear it might be a brain tumour. Sending cyber hugs :grouphug

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest Energy11

My little "Missley" aka Goldie, is status quo. She is out of it, from the Phenobarb, and I don't like the look in her eyes. :(

This girl will be 10 tomorrow, so we will give her and the others, vanilla dixie cups and special treats! This girl holds my hand, and she is special!

Just wanted to thank all of your for your ideas and good wishes for this VERY special girl of mine!

Guest Energy11

Keeping you all in my prayers.

Thank you, Judy! I know you have "been there. ..." I love this girl A LOT, and I will spend every minute I can with her.

MUCH love to you and your crew, as well!

Guest Energy11

My poor Goldie, aka, "Missley" has had two VERY rough nights! She starts to whine, and cry and pace, starting about 8 p.m, and it continues until she gets a Valium. She seems OK during the day! WEIRD! (*Sundowners)??

The vet here says it is OK to use the Valium, and we will start her on Pred in a few days. I think she is crying in pain, and out of hunger, from the Phenobarb, and, also this could be an opposite reaction from the Phenobarb as well.

Poor girl! I haven't slept more than five hours in the last two nights, but I will stay awake forever for her, and my others!

Please keep her in your prayers!

Hugs and thanks! DEE

Edited by Energy11