Another Sparks Problem-Getting Up From His Bed

Wonder

Sparks can't use his left, rear leg so trying to get up, he struggles and has fallen and thunked his hip twice.

Yes, I can help him up if I know he's getting up but he's trying when I'm not in the room or when I'm sleeping. I do try to listen and I run over to him if hear him moving around but he's already fallen twice.

I think it's hard for him to get up from this bed. It's a square Costco bed.

Any suggestions? Do I try another bed?

I'm going to put a few rugs around his bed so that it's not slippery on the floor.

I can't use blankets, too slippery

I just remembered that I have a crib mattress in my room so I'm going to see if that works better.

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest MorganKonaAlex

Morgan had more trouble with thicker beds. He had better luck with a 2" thick foam type bed in the end. We did add a blanket to it. You said the blanket was slippery. Is that because of the wood floors? Could you put a large area rug under the bedding area? We have wall-to-wall carpet so we didn't have that issue.

Kari, see if the crib mattress helps :nod I have a large rectangular bed that is pretty firm and about the size of a crib mattress...it definitely was easier for Sutra to stand up from laying down and also to get situated on the way to laying down when using that big bed :nod

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest Adrianne

Oh Kari, I am so sorry Sparks is having such a tough time. A couple things I learned from Wilbur & Larry: Wilbur could get up pretty good, but he couldn't get back down. His broken leg was useless, and as he circled, it would twist around his good leg and trip him up. We had to lay him down to prevent this. So I HAD to know when he was getting up, even in the middle of the night. I put his collar on him (3 or 4 tags, so lots of jingling) at night when I would lie down to sleep. The noise of him getting up and moving around always woke me up. I couldn't stop him from getting up (and goodness knows there were times I wished I could--tramadol made him very very restless, so the few days he was on that saw him up & down, up & down a dozen times an hour; my back was killing me), but I could be aware of when he was up.

With Larry, I learned the value of the 5x7 area rug. Non-slip backing--it ain't pretty, but it is extremely useful. Perhaps one of these under his bed, so he won't slip on the floor. You can find them cheap at WalMart.

Thank you all!!

I do have the crib matress down. He's not impressed with it at all but he's laying on it.

Adrianne- he won't lay down unless I help him so thank goodness for that! And I'll dig up some tags to add to his collar. I haven't slept much in the last 2 nights (not complainingI) because I keep 1 ear open. Im still sleeping on the couch with a tv on so that I can see right away and he's just steps from me in the living room. My back is killing me from sleeping on the couch since the beginning of Oct but I'll keep doing it for him.

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Kari, I posted this in the ABT too but if you find yourself in need of multiple crib mattresses, Walmart has one for $36...and I'm off to buy one right now for Ace :)

Be sure to take care of yourself too, girl!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Guest Adrianne

Thank you all!!

I do have the crib matress down. He's not impressed with it at all but he's laying on it.

Adrianne- he won't lay down unless I help him so thank goodness for that! And I'll dig up some tags to add to his collar. I haven't slept much in the last 2 nights (not complainingI) because I keep 1 ear open. Im still sleeping on the couch with a tv on so that I can see right away and he's just steps from me in the living room. My back is killing me from sleeping on the couch since the beginning of Oct but I'll keep doing it for him.

I can still remember the exhaustion and how hopeless I would sometimes feel after not sleeping well for several days. One good night's sleep was worth more to me back then than all the gold in the world. I could think more clearly. I felt ready again to deal with whatever we had to face. Is there anyone you could call on to sit with Sparks for a single night just to give you some uninterrupted sleep?

Kari, I posted this in the ABT too but if you find yourself in need of multiple crib mattresses, Walmart has one for $36...and I'm off to buy one right now for Ace :)

Be sure to take care of yourself too, girl!

Thanks.

I have 1 more crib mattress (benefit from working at the preg clinic, they threw a lot of them out) and 1 foam mattress but I think that isn't firm enough.

I can still remember the exhaustion and how hopeless I would sometimes feel after not sleeping well for several days. One good night's sleep was worth more to me back then than all the gold in the world. I could think more clearly. I felt ready again to deal with whatever we had to face. Is there anyone you could call on to sit with Sparks for a single night just to give you some uninterrupted sleep?

I don't think I could sleep until he's more pain free. I know you know what I mean.

Thank you though- I'll be able to sleep better this weekend.

Hope that Sparks and you are feeing better soon. You are in my thoughts and prayers. White light coming your way.

Thank you Karen

Morgan had more trouble with thicker beds. He had better luck with a 2" thick foam type bed in the end. We did add a blanket to it. You said the blanket was slippery. Is that because of the wood floors? Could you put a large area rug under the bedding area? We have wall-to-wall carpet so we didn't have that issue.

I did just put down a rug so thanks for the reminder to do that.

At this point, I don't want anything on the bed for his feet or legs to get tangled in.

No suggestions, just :grouphug

Thank you. I really need the hugs too.

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest bigorangedog

I don't think I could sleep until he's more pain free. I know you know what I mean.

Thank you though- I'll be able to sleep better this weekend.

I know the no-sleep gig well too. It's no fun. If you think he wouldn't be too stressed here, I'd be more than happy to take him for the night. Heck, he's welcome to sleep in the human bed. Everyone else does! Bedroom has a sliding door that is ramped to the yard.

Kari, I'm sorry that Sparks is having so much trouble :( Hopefully the beds will be the trick for both of you. Hope you both get some good sleep tonight.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Kari - he might come around to liking the crib mattress eventually. It took Sutra a little while for the similarly sized bed to be his bed of choice. I had to place him on it over and over for a few days and then he realized "hey, this thing is comfortable!" :lol

No real advice other than moving your own mattress to the floor for both of you to sleep on (but I am sure you already thought of that). Just lots of hugs and good thoughts and prayers for both of you. It is so hard when they are in pain.

My mattress has been on the floor for 3 years already :)

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest kelli123

When our boy had osteo in his rear leg and could not get comfortable, we bought a full size air bed for him. It worked out great . He had lots of room to lay out and move around i kept it pretty firm. I also sleep with him and keep a eye on him . Praying things get a little better for you both

sorry I missed this :( :(

how is he doing? :grouphug :grouphug :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

He's doing well- eating really well :yay

I made a 14 lb turkey over the weekend so he's chowing on that.

The cramp or whatever it is, hasn't happened since. Or at least not when I've been home.

It rained yesterday so it's ice today. I've taken him outside twice and been super careful.

Thanks for asking.

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Thoughts and prayers for you, Keri. He is blessed to be so loved.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest greytfulhounds

Do you have an x-pen? Maybe putting the x-pen up around him at night would keep him safe while you try to get some sleep. I was also thinking, would putting something like a yoga mat or rubber back mat under the bed keep it from sliding?

Having just lost my Danny to osteo in October & currently going through LP tie-back recovery with my Hunter I understand your situation. I have been sleeping on the sofa it seems forever & I awake at every noise & breath. My x-pen has been a great help at times.

Sending thoughts & prayers to you & your boy. :grouphug:hope