Question About Arthritis Pain

Pretty Girl definitely has arthritis in her hips and knees. We have her on supplements and tried acupuncture, but it was very traumatic for her and didn't give us any noticeable results, even after repeated visits. So it looks like we're going to have to go with the traditional med route to make sure she stays comfortable.

My question is, how do I know if/when she's in pain and actually needs the painkillers? She's 12 1/2 but she just came to us this last summer, so I can't use a change in behavior as a guide like I have with my other dogs. She gets up slowly and sometimes moves a bit gingerly, but there's never a peep out of her. She's not limping at all either.

What it comes down to is that I want to make sure she's comfortable, but don't want to medicate unnecessarily, either.

What are your thoughts?

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

Guest Swifthounds

What do you currently have her on, supplement-wise? I ask only because I've had very good luck controlling arthritis and providing mobility with supplements to avoid NSAIDs unless and until necessary. It's a good place to start if you haven't looked into it already.

I had her on Springtime Fresh Factors and Joint Health, and recently started her on a sample of Get Up and Go to see if there was any improvement (there hasn't been so far).

So how do you know that your dogs' arthritis is controlled? I guess that's the question I have. How can I be sure she's comfortable and not in pain?

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

We're still figuring out exactly when to give meloxicam as a supplemental medicine (tramadol, cosequine, and fish oil routinely). Some things I've picked up is that Patrick's back right paw is his worst joint, so we check that regularly for tenderness. Also, weather changes seem to cause problems, so I'm extra vigilent there. Same thing with extreme cold, although I've found a light pair of pajamas in the winter really helps.

The answer really is to get to know your dog and read her signals as best you can (wouldn't it be nice if they could talk), although some obvious signs are limping, certainly verbal cries of pain, refusing to get up to go outside, eat, etc.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

The only way I know when Valentino's arthritis is hurting him is when he starts to limp. If he's having a really bad day he will yelp when trying to lay down.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

She´s 12 1/2 with arthritis. In my book that´s equal with painkillers no matter what.

My Annie is 7 and has spondylosis and possible arthritis in one paw. She´s on a life long Metacam prescription and on periods when she´s not limping I will reduce the amount of medicin by half. Annie is a major dramaqueen when it comes to small things but doesn´t say a word when in real pain.

So please, consider giving medicin to Your Pretty Girl. :)

Siggy2.jpg
Ester (Kaylas Princess) and Sune The Cat
Annie (Morbeat Ann) (16/8 2003-30/8 2013) Caspar (Crazy Enough) (8/5 2002-29/7 2013)

Guest DoofBert

We're starting ou Bacchus on cold laser therapy.....6 treatments over 3 weeks.....designed to limit need for NSAIDs.

My chiropractor stated it's a terrific treatment for people's arthirits. Our vet uses the cold laser on his own knees and on his lab's hips.

I notice that Bacchus is in pain with limping and whining... he also takes very slow small steps on rainy mornings. Adn when it's time to settle down, he takes a very long time to get in just that right position before he shifts his weight.

Has anyone every tried moist heat on the their hounds arthritis? Just wondering.... cause moist heat makes my arthritis feel better.

Thanks,

Jayne

Edited by DoofBert

My vet also recommends laser therapy. However, Pretty Girl gets progressively more anxious with each trip to the vet and her excessive panting starts kicking in her LP symptoms. That is why we are discontinuing the acupuncture. As much as I believe that it works, for her it's just too much trauma with not enough relief.

To medicate or not? It's really a quality of life issue to me. Yes, all medications have some level of risk. But a 12.5 year old dog with arthritis pain is better off, IMHO, with pain relief.

My Kramer took Rimadyl for several years with no ill effects, and George is on daily Deramaxx for his LS.

As long as you have blood work done before starting, and a few months later to make sure all is well, I personally feel the risk/reward is on the side of giving meds.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

You could consider an herbal anti-inflammatory to supplement or enhance the NSAID. Herbal supplements generally don't have the side effects that traditional medicine can although any of them could cause an upset stomach. The downside is that it can take several weeks for them to begin working. If it were me, I would try to find an herbal AI and joint supplement that work and keep her on those constantly, then use the NSAID as needed for pain. I would also use milk thistle for liver and kidney support.

Some of the commonly used herbal supplements are boswellia, curcumin, bromelain, quercetin, yucca, ginger & devil's claw. I found a really nice article recently that summarizes the herbal supplements commonly used for arthritis, etc. but I can't find it now. I have it bookmarked at work so I can post it tomorrow if you'd like. I also like the Sloan-Kettering Cancer site for it's detailed info on herbs including links to journal articles. Neyla is on Boswellia, 500 mg 3x/day, which has been shown in studies to reduce inflammation.

Regarding how to know, I am guessing that if you get her on something that gives her significant relief so you see positive changes in her activity level, then you will have a new baseline and it will be easier to tell when she's having an off day.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Has anyone every tried moist heat on the their hounds arthritis? Just wondering.... cause moist heat makes my arthritis feel better.

Yes my mom has severe osteo and RA, so I go with what she advises for stuff like that. Moist heat does seem to help Patrick.

And to second the folks who said at 12 1/2, it's probably time for meds, there are options out there other than NSAIDs.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Fletcher has had arthritis in his shoulders for at least a couple of years (when the limping started). I have found giving him a Traumeel pill twice a day, along with Fresh Factors and Joint Health, keep him comfortable. He also gets a milk thistle capsule once a day. I feel like the Traumeel will be easier on his liver than a NSAID since it is homeopathic, but I give hom the milk thistle anyway. I know it helps, because more than two days off the meds and he starts limping again. That's how I tell, when he limps. I have recently added Boswellia, too soon to tell if it has an effect.

Guest Swifthounds

And to second the folks who said at 12 1/2, it's probably time for meds, there are options out there other than NSAIDs.

:nod Everything from fish oil, glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM, Vit. C, S.O.D. and Boswellia, Heel Traumeel and Zeel, etc.

I will add that I think, if you know what you're looking for, you can see signs of arthritis and decreased range of motion in greyhounds as young as 4 or 5 (and possibly younger). I try to start supplementing early rather than waiting for obvious signs like a limp.