Please Help Us

Guest Epic_Tale

Guest Epic_Tale

We rescues our second grey after our fist was fatally injured in a freak accident. I beleive he has anxiety but am lost as to what to do. Upon arrival we crated him when gone - he escaped 4 days in a row after locking and securing the kennel. The last time he cut his face all up bending and breaking the metal bars. When we put him in a comfortable room, he began eating 2 computer desks and a large wall bookshelf. The last straw was when he bit the window and cut open his mouth. Moving him to another secure location (with less stuff) he chewed my french doors. We finally left him to wander in a much larger secure area and things improved greatly. Unfortunately this area includes my kitchen. Now he countersurfs and not just for food. Cardboard, mail, plastic, his dog dishes etc. . We try to keep the counters clean as much as possible, but I also have a husband and two teenage children!Nothing is safe, he has now started stealing my shoes and my daughters stuffies! I have him on a holistic product called EZ rest for Seperation Anxiety but it does not seem to be enough. Can anyone help us?

Guest Ohiogreymom

When you got your grey, did you get a plastic kennel muzzle? Have you tried muzzling him? You can do a search on here for separation anxiety and get some good information on working with him.Good luck! Darlene

Edited by Ohiogreymom

Muzzle him until he gets past the separation anxiety. It will keep him and your house safe. He won't be able to swallow anything he shouldn't and can't chew up anything. Get him a kong and fill it with something he can lick through the muzzle.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Good ideas above. Also, while giving him freedom, you can close off some rooms. He doesn't have to have access to everywhere. For example, don't let him in your daughter's bedroom.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Might try gating him *out* of the kitchen ... and training the husband and teenagers to put things away :) . I have one who thrives on paper products and another who is not opposed to countersurfing should the opportunity arise, so that is what we do.

It sounds like you've really come a long way and are nearly there. Best luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Our grey Opie did the same thing - well, with the crate anyways. Chewed and bit his way out of the crate 3 days in a row. Although he never chewed anything else, all he wanted was his freedom and a chance to prove to us he was a good boy. We do however, babygate him out of the kitchen/dining area, as the garbage and our 2 birds are in there. He is fine with this. I would also recommend muzzling until you get past the chewing/destructive stage. Although taking shoes and any and all stuffies is not an unusual habit! Sometimes they just take them to their beds to "collect" them. Anyways, babygate or close doors to bedrooms, if you don't want him in there. Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

You might need to try a different greyhound. Different greyhounds get along in different environments better than other environments. It's nothing personal towards you, it's just their personality and the type of environment they will adjust best to.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Cardboard, plastic, shoes, stuffies, plus nearly everything "chewable" or edible (especially in the kitchen) are all items a dog will get into when left alone. For the time being, you will need to keep this stuff out of reach. The newness should wear off after some time and he may settle down but certain things are just too hard for a dog to resist

If you just recently got your dog, he would also benefit from alone training if you haven't done that already.

Plus a good walk to tire him out before you leave for the day.

Jenn

gallery_3252_2927_10878.jpg

Muzzle and turn him loose,,,, and maybe,,, I know you don't want to hear THIS,,, maybe add another grey to the house,,, he could be lonley,,, just a thought :) How about adding more walks,, long walks to the routine?

Edited by kydie

Exercise, exercise, exercise!

In addition to the other suggestions. Also, buy the Patricia McConnell booklet, "I'll Be Home Soon."

MOST Greyhounds get over their anxiety. Some are more difficult than others. It'll be worth it when you work through this! I know it was for me.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest alf7199

I have tried MANY things with my boy... He has been "free" no muzzle, he got into my trash (which is in a cabinet with a child lock on it) ate 3 bars of cooking chocolate and coffee K-cups...I had him muzzled "free" in the house, he counter-surfed a glass jar of paenut butter off the counter and I came home to blood everywhere... I tried gating rooms off... he busted down 2 gates to get to the cat room and ate all the food in the bowl, broke the bowl and opened the container of food and ate who knows how much. He has busted out of his crate several times. He has managed injuring himself several times in his crate as well (sometimes while muzzled). This is just a brief summary... We adopted him in June 2009... nothing, no signs of SA then about 6-7 months later little signs started creaping up and getting progressively worse... about 2 months ago (4 months AFTER all this started) we moved and our little pug died, who our greyhound viewed as the alpha dog. Over the past 3-4 weeks he has become mildly aggressive towards all in the family with the exception of me (his care-giver). He was attacked by another dog in June 2010 and got the worse of it and now he is terrified of other dogs. We have done EVERYTHING suggested... RR, alone training, long walks, stairs, command training, mental play...etc... nothing has worked... we are going to the vet tomorrow for something stronger to hopefully help him over this.

My advice read over everything you can find on this forum about SA and try EVERYTHING... combinations and try to figure out what will work for your GH... remember all hounds are not the same and what works for one might not work for another but it is all worth a try. Good Luck!!

My boys are muzzled when I am out. I feel badly, but it keeps them safe. And, per suggestion from George's Mom, I started putting peanut butter on the inside - and my guilt has eased substantially as they are interested in the food on the inside of the muzzle now rather than me leaving!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest twhitehouse

The muzzle will be your best friend. :) That, and you'll need to do lots and lots of alone training. The book "I'll Be Home Soon" that someone recommended is a good tool and will walk you through the steps of alone training. It sounds like you're already making good strides, but you will need to do training and have patience. Also up the exercise....a nice 40-45 minute walk before you leave should help some.

Guest pichick712

My Indy broke out of his crate and injured himself badly too because of separation anxiety. I finally gave him free reign of the house and made sure that there was a TV on playing classical music (one of the music stations that plays nothing but music). He has been fine ever since. Once they get a taste of being in a home and loved they don't ever want to go back in the crate again. Maybe you should adopt another grey for him. Then your absence will not seem so profound?

Greys are really greyt at letting us know when something is wrong; we just don't always know what that something is. Take for instance my Ron . . . I always crate a new dog for the first few days while I'm gone. Ron let me know in no uncertain terms that the crate was not acceptable by messing in the crate and throwing it as far and in every direction available. After I got done scrubbing floors, walls, crate and bedding I decided maybe the crate might not be the best choice. I now gate my dogs out of the kitchen (Ron is also a counter-surfer) and muzzle. No more problems. Thank doG!

june