June Bug Injured Her Back Right Leg

nancy14

Last Friday I was off from work and took the three dogs to the dog park. We were the only ones there. June was doing zoomies and having a good time when I heard a yelp. She limped back to me. She was not stepping on her rear right foot.

I called the vet immediately. He said that nothing was broken and that it appeared to be a soft tissue injury. (It's the bone on the bottom that he said would be a human's ankle.) He gave me Rimydal and said he would call me this week, although I haven't heard from him yet.

June is happy -- playing with toys and throwing around her chew bones -- but she is still limping. I don't know if it's wishful thinking or not, but I think she is putting a little more weight on it, but not a lot -- or maybe not.

My question is. Has anyone else experienced this type of injury and how long does it take before she will be normal?

It breaks my heart to see her try to be normal -- and all because I wanted the dogs to have fun. :angry:

From Wisconsin -- It's Nancy, Bob, Carla, June Bug and our newby Skorch.... along with Buffy. She's the little hound that meows.

With loving memorials to K.C., Barko and Major Turn -- all playing at the bridge.

It sounds similar to a sprain. It can take a couple weeks for us to recover from a sprain or a pulled muscle so it could take her that long as well. Don't beat yourself up over it. Some people and dogs are just klutzes. Just keep an eye on her and I'd try to keep her a bit calm. I hope she feels better soon.

I've been thorough that type thing with quite a few hounds and horses. Its almost a given that sooner or later they're gona pull something but you've got to let them run and be happy. Keep them cooped up and they'll suffer for it one way or another. Usually gets well within a couple of weeks with restricted activity for the first week to 10 days. Sounds like she's on the road to recovery but it can take a while sure enough. Important thing is to restrict her activity until it heals and reintroduce activity in such a way that she builds up to her original conditon . If she is allowed to return to her original level of fitness too soon she could re-injure it worse. Patience is a virtue lol.:getwell

We've been through a few soft tissue injuries, the worst I think was Lenny's. After being on Rimadyl, it took him 3 weeks to start showing improvement.

Feel better little girl

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I've been thorough that type thing with quite a few hounds and horses. Its almost a given that sooner or later they're gona pull something but you've got to let them run and be happy. Keep them cooped up and they'll suffer for it one way or another. Usually gets well within a couple of weeks with restricted activity for the first week to 10 days. Sounds like she's on the road to recovery but it can take a while sure enough. Important thing is to restrict her activity until it heals and reintroduce activity in such a way that she builds up to her original conditon . If she is allowed to return to her original level of fitness too soon she could re-injure it worse. Patience is a virtue lol.:getwell

I agree. Assuming the vet has cleared her for everything and it's just a pull or sprain...

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance