Stroke

Guest lucylaruh

Guest lucylaruh

My dog just had a stroke and I need some advice. Anyone have experience with this? Are there supplements to help with recovery or reoccurence? Can he recover from this? Will there be another more devasting stroke soon? His balance is compromised, his head tilts and he has a "no one is home" look in his eyes but other than that he is acting almost normal. Please share your stories.

Isis had what my vet thinks to have been a stroke. Another vet says FCE and still another leans towards a vestibular incident.

Anyway, time and patience are what holds us together. 24 hours after the onset Isis was doing about 75% better, by 48 hours she was back to normal. It was the scariest evening and night I've had. I was worried sick about her but she is doing well.

Other more knowledgable people will chime in. Have you been to the vet yet?

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest lucylaruh

Isis had what my vet thinks to have been a stroke. Another vet says FCE and still another leans towards a vestibular incident.

Anyway, time and patience are what holds us together. 24 hours after the onset Isis was doing about 75% better, by 48 hours she was back to normal. It was the scariest evening and night I've had. I was worried sick about her but she is doing well.

Yes, been to the vet - they don't know - they want me to do a millon dollars worth of tests but I know in my gut it was a stroke of some sorts. They gave me predisone but I am not sure that is the right treatment. That is why I was interested in other stories.

Other more knowledgable people will chime in. Have you been to the vet yet?

Please check in with your vet.

I lost my Morgaine to a prolonged stroke/status epilepticus. I am not trying to panic you because what happened with Morgaine was quite different, she was actually airborne at times with her seizures/tremors.

There are protocols in place so that if this happens again you will know what to do, you just need to check with your vet.

Adding lots of prayers for your pup.

Please check in with your vet.

I lost my Morgaine to a prolonged stroke/status epilepticus. I am not trying to panic you because what happened with Morgaine was quite different, she was actually airborne at times with her seizures/tremors.

There are protocols in place so that if this happens again you will know what to do, you just need to check with your vet.

Adding lots of prayers for your pup.

gallery_19924_3574_6591.jpg

Caroline, Mom to Daphne (49B-50215) and Penny (41D-55779)
Remembering Bridge Angels Margo and Sabrina

Have them check blood pressure. that should not be an expensive test. (it's the same as when the nurse checks yours).

Hypertension can and will cause strokes and can so easily be controlled. My Pearl had hypertention.

But the bad news is, cancer can also cause strokes because clumps of cancer cells can break off and go to the brain. Pearl's second stroke came a week before she succombed to fibrosarcoma of the spleen and liver.

Poodle had a stroke. The *thud* of him falling out of bed woke me. Then her tried to walk. He'd take a step or two and fall down like a drunken sailor. The vet said it most definately was a stroke -- she could tell by his eyes. He was on baby aspirin for quite a while, but I don't remember how long.

Just like Beth's Isis he was 75% better the next morning and pretty much all better the day after that. It was actually amazing how fast he got better. Knock on wood he hasn't had any more and his was 2 or 3 years ago -- can't remember which.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest nikkikaye

Lucy,

My 8 yr old Jasmine had a stroke and lived 2.5 wonderful yrs of amazing life after it. In fact she just died august 11th from bone cancer (osteo).... very sad, but totally unrelated to the stroke. You need to go read my long stroke post from early 2008. All you have to do is enter the search word "NikkiKaye" in the medical forum. You will find the post for "possible stroke". It is a long thread that tells you more than you ever wanted to know about gh strokes. It will give you SOOOOOO much hope. Forget the newer Osteo posts of mine that come up when u search- they are for her bone cancer- and not what you need to be reading now. She went from being completely paraplegic and looking off to nowhere (no sign of recognition in her eyes- NONE) to being the happiest she has ever been. She DID have some small insignificant remnants of the stroke, but they made no difference in her life. It took about 7-10 days for her to get her brain back and start looking at me, wag her tail, and MOST importantly... do the doggie shake from her head to her tail... you know the one. Almost all gh's can make an almost complete recovery if the owners dont put em down. DONT put her down, just hang in there- they come back- they do! I have a friend here in FLA that has a stroke dog doing great 5 yrs post stroke. You can email me at nikkikaye@gmail.com if you want as well. Just do the MRI, make sure it is stroke and not something else- and you can feel hopeful for a great prognosis:) :colgate

Dr. Couto covered this at our seminar Saturday. Best treatment is 1/2 baby aspirin.

Rich

Nicklaus (Okie Nicklaus) 4/1/95- 3/21/07, Alexandra (Noble Mason)7/22/99-6/27/11, Tsar (Noble Pratt)7/22/99-11/25/10, Tully (Noble Tully) 7/22/99- 11-3-06, Sunny (Primary Buddy)6/7/08-3/16/12 Sasha ( Rooftop Silvey ), Screamer (Rooftop Screamer), Gil's Chico (Chico), JD Rip Tide (Remy), Gypsy ( Gypsy Dancer), Foxy (WTD Right Right)

Greyhound Alliance: www.greyhoundalliance.org

Sunburst Project: www.sunburstproject.org