Ruptured Disk

Guest 3furkids

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh poor Casey, how awful. I am so sorry you and Casey have to go through this...to see our pups in pain is so heartwrenching so to have him have more surgery so soon must be difficult. Hopefully, he will be on the road to recovery and you can put all this behind you. But you do have the right to know exactly how this happened. I would think if you asked in a diplomatic way (I can understand how hard that might be, I'd be wanting to put someone else's hip out of joint at this point!!!) they should provide more answers. Could you mention their reluctance to give more details is making you suspicious about the incident? I totally understand how you don't want to rock the boat while Casey is in their care though. Keep us posted on his progress, poor little guy.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest eaglflyt

Oh my. I'm sending up prayers for Casey. :wub:

I'd be wondering, too, especially since it happened on a weekend and you weren't notified until Tues. Surely the vet knew when it happened?

Please keep us posted on Casey's progress.

How is Casey this AM? I was telling my Mom about him and I think she hit on it. IMO dogs don't dislocate their hip trying to get up. Mom said she bet they did it when they were moving him after the surgery. Having worked in a very large university vet hospital I have to agree with her. The know it all techs do get a little carried away sometimes moving the larger dogs and I have seen them hold the hind legs & use an exaggerated swinging method that would seem to put undue stress on the hip. And since he was still "under" he wouldn't have the normal muscle tone that would keep it in place. I agree regardless of how they did it there is no excuse for waiting so long to tell you. Just praying for the poor guy to get well soon. I am not a vet but you know what? I realize the most important thing is "First, do no harm..." If it had been their dog they would have probably been so carefull and tender and loving. But it sems now a days most of them just don't care whether your dog lives or dies but only what is the profit potential or how much trouble is it going to be for them.

Guest 3furkids

They took Casey to surgery at 3pm yesterday. I called at 5:30 and they said he was in recovery. I called again this am and they said he was still in pain from yesterday's surgery and rehab would not begin until Monday. This puts him a whole week behind in his rehab from the neck surgery. I just want the little bugger home but I have to have him at least standing before I can bring him home. We can do exercises with him when he's here and I'm sure he will recover faster at home. We have a lot to do before he comes home like blocking off some stairs, ramping others and taking the frame off the bed. He has been sleeping in our bed since he was 8 weeks old. He may not be in it at first but it will be hard to keep him out. We bought an exercise pen that is 3 ft high and can be made to 6ft around. That way we can take him from room to room with us and he can see everything going on.

Anything ever goes wrong with him or my other pupper and we'll be going to Virginia Tech rather then back to Hickory.

They took Casey to surgery at 3pm yesterday. I called at 5:30 and they said he was in recovery. I called again this am and they said he was still in pain from yesterday's surgery and rehab would not begin until Monday. This puts him a whole week behind in his rehab from the neck surgery. I just want the little bugger home but I have to have him at least standing before I can bring him home. We can do exercises with him when he's here and I'm sure he will recover faster at home. We have a lot to do before he comes home like blocking off some stairs, ramping others and taking the frame off the bed. He has been sleeping in our bed since he was 8 weeks old. He may not be in it at first but it will be hard to keep him out. We bought an exercise pen that is 3 ft high and can be made to 6ft around. That way we can take him from room to room with us and he can see everything going on.

Anything ever goes wrong with him or my other pupper and we'll be going to Virginia Tech rather then back to Hickory.

THANKS for the update. I sure hope you can bring him home soon. There is no doubt he will recover faster at home. For one thing you won't be tearing his joints out of their sockets like the so called hospital did. Not to mention you will give him love. Once you can start soaking him with your love I'll bet he gets well quick. Hoping for an early release from the "hospital" and praying for his quick uneventful recovery!

Guest 3furkids

Saw Casey today. The vet tech called last night and said he was up and in the cart outside and sliding himself around on the floor.

I sure so NO evidence of any activity this morning. Ok a brief tail wag. They had him on the floor of the kennel. He is still on an IV

and wouldn't eat anything from me not even his favorite treats. His head wasn't even up. Could he be mad at us? Looks like he lost a whole week and therapy won't begin until Monday so probably another week there. I just want him home! I think his brother is getting depressed. We try to give him more attention but he misses his buddy.

Thanks for all the replys and prayers.

Not mad at you, more likely well drugged up and easily worn out. Sending hugs for you and prayers for your boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thank you very much for the update! Oh no! He could never be mad at you! He's smarter than that. He knows you love him and only operate out of love! I know it must be heartbreaking that he wouldn't even eat his favorite treats but I think thats probably not too unusual considering what he's been through. We'll keep praying for him and shooting love beams of healing to him. And God bless you too & his bro too. I can't wait for you to be able to take him home either. I just know he will make remarkable progress once you get him home under your wing.

Guest 3furkids

I talked with the therapist and she said the Dr. said Casey could go home Thursday. I asked her is he was walking and she said with assistance meaning 2 people with slings under him helped him move. He is not even getting up on his own yet. Is this normal to go home in this stage? The initial stay was to be 10-14 days, that was just the ruptured disk. I feel he lost 6 days of therapy due to the hip surgery which was just last Thursday, 5 days ago.

I want him home but not if he is not ready. I told them we were coming tomorrow to judge for ourselves how he was doing. I told the Dr. we had stairs, uneven yard, gravel roads. We will do everything we can to make him safe.

Any thoughts?? Is it to soon or can I bring him home?? How do I judge it he's ready? Thanks!!!!

Well you will definitely need to block any stairways, no slippery floors, etc. to make sure he doesn't injure himself at home. Will anyone be able to be with him? If not, I would definitely xpen him into a small, safe area. You don't want him trying to wander around on his own. If you don't feel he (or you) are ready, then don't be pressured into bringing him home to early...if you have to mention that you feel he needs more time because of his 'injury' that occured on their premises, than do it! :grouphug:hope :hope

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

I would bring him if you think you can handle picking him up and walking him by yourself. Do you have help available at home? Make sure you write down all of your questions you might have so they cover everything for you during his discharge. I'm sure he wants to go home as much as you want him home.

OH I'm so gald he's beginning to get around even if he does need some help. I agree with what grey14me said. You'll just have to try and judge when you see how he is if you think you can manage him OK at this point. The important thing is just to protect him and keep him on the upswing and improving as he is now. I'm sure you would need to keep him seperated from the other greyt too for a while. I am thinking he should improve quickly now that the worse is over. Please tell him he has a lot of friends he never met sending him love and praying for him and sending him get well wishes. beatinghearts.gif He'll understand. Thank you very much for the update! Looking forward to the "at home" update whenever that happens!

Guest 3furkids

Casey will never be alone when we get home home. We have an xpen we'll set up in what ever room we are in. His brother will be a problem but we hope he will see that Casey isn't able to play. We had ramps for our older girl and Casey would just jump them so he will either be carried and when able put in a harness and walked up and down the ramp. The bed will be taked off the frame and put on the floor. He has been in our bed since he was 8 weeks old and I think it would depress him further if he couldn't be now (when he is better).

Thanks for everyone's support and I look for to bringing Casey home and posting so good updates for a change!

Wow- sounds like you are more than ready to get him home. Set up as good as you are I would get him just as soon as they let me if not sooner. No question you'll take better care of him and he'll get well quicker soaking up all your love!