Guest Shermanator

All about feeders!  

240 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use raised feeders?

• Yes, both water and food
    • Yes, but only food
    • Yes, but only water
    • No, they eat off the floor
  2. 2. If you do use raised feeders- what type of feeder do you use?

• A raised commerical feeder - with either 2 or 3 bowls
    • Plant stands with the bowls on them
    • A small table
    • I got creative and made my own
    • Other

Under the second question I answered other as I have one of each...a commercial one for both water and food that Carl eats from and they all drink from and one that I made out of two really nice pots...the base from Home Depot and the top a friend of mine made. I put them together with super adhesive velcro and Claire eats from that one.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Longdog

I have heard raising your greyhounds bowls are both good and bad. There is so much conflicting information.

I feed them in 21 inch high plant stands with their bowls in them. Cheap at walmart, easy and done!

But is this bad? I've heard feeding raised reduces the chance of bloat, and I've heard feeding on raised bowls makes the dogs more likely to bloat? huh.gif

Guest Longdog

I have commercial feed tubs that hold the kibble and the food bowl, so spacesaving for me and luckily none of my dogs have ever worked out how to chew the stopper out and release the foodsmile.gif They take raw food and bones outside to chew and lay down on the grass. Personally I think they look more comfortable eating and drinking this way but I think the most important thing is not to feed lat least an hour before or after exercise and I try and feed 2/3 smaller meals a day to help avoid bloat.

We are currently putting the water and food bowls on a small table to raise them up. How many inches above the ground is recommended for a raised feeder? When I was looking at them, many were 12" or 15" and I saw some 18" on line. I had read that 18" to 20" was recommended for greyhounds, but wondered what the thoughts on this are?

We are currently putting the water and food bowls on a small table to raise them up. How many inches above the ground is recommended for a raised feeder? When I was looking at them, many were 12" or 15" and I saw some 18" on line. I had read that 18" to 20" was recommended for greyhounds, but wondered what the thoughts on this are?

My raised feeder is 16". It's homemade (my brother is a very "handy" man) and it works well. My old boy seems very comfortable with that height.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

It varies with the dog & what height they seem most comfortable. Measuring the feeders here it seems the bottom of the bowl is approx. level with their elbow give or taken an inch or so. And thinking about it I guess that makes some sense since that is where food would be when laying down to eat.

When looking at the heights of feeders you need to bear in mind whether the bowl will sit on the feeder or rest inside it. Right now we have two dogs, one a few inches taller than the other. One eats from a bowl placed on an old, 12" tall, wooden foot stool. The other eats from a 17" tall dog feed of similar construction except with a cut out for the bowl to rest in. The bottom of the bowl is 14" off the ground. So really there is only 2" difference in the height of these dogs eating surfaces.

I feed mine in their crates, with the bowls attached to the side of the crate.

For water, I just have a bucket in the kitchen, sitting on a couple of phone books. So, it's only raised a few inches.

Guest Che_mar_Cody

I have always used raised feeders for kibble and water. Cody is tall and I agree with the others it's just doesn't look comfortable. Now that he is 30% paralyzed in his neck I wouldn't change it at all. For raw food I usually give him small pieces or hold it for him to chew off. I too am afraid of bloat so I feed him 3 -4 small meals per day and really watch his water intake in large quantities.

Guest queenme2

I have raised Feeders for Nina but she takes her food and puts on the floor and then eats it . I wonder if thats a bad thing? Because whats the point of the raised feeder if she is just going to put her food on the floor?

I've been feeding my greyhounds with raised feeders for going on 17 years, so yes. :)

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest breakxdownn

I use a raised feeder for both food and water - it is easier and more comfortable for Finley to eat. Whenever I put anything on the floor for him, he slides his front legs out in an awkward looking positiong - amusing for me, uncomfortable looking for him. However, some of the ways he sleeps look pretty uncomfortable to me too, so who knows, maybe he doesn't mind it! :lol

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Diadado

The white 2 gallon buckets in the paint section at Home Depot work great for raising bowls. They're also handy for taking along with a bowl for water at meet & greets.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Profgumby

The Group we got both girls from recommended we read a couple of books before we adopted. One says raised bowls one says no... As I read more on the subject, some say raised causes bloat, some say on the floor causes bloat. Both sides of the fence report serious issue and death from bloat. So who or what to believe?

I should add, as far as I know, everyone in the group uses raised bowls. (I have not asked them all or the dozens that have adopted dogs that we never see..)

I am starting to believe that if your dog is gonna get bloat, it is gonna happen. raised, on the floor or fired at them out of a canon....Perhaps certain dogs are susceptible to it like certain dogs are going to get (insert health issue here) no matter what you as their guardian do about it. We are (and the hounds too) kinda just along for the ride....

The way I see it, our last two hounds were fed from raised bowls the last half of their lives...one lived 13 1/2 years, the other 14 years. Both girls now are raised bowl fed. I can only hope we get 14 years with these two!

To that end, look at all the discrepancies in what food to feed, what size kibble, raw vs dry and everything in between! it is enough to drive you nuts!

To be honest, I am more concerned about Beauty bolting down her food, even with a slow feed bowl. But so far, as the vets can confirm, both are healthy and happy overgrown puppies. Works for me.

Raised feeders. Every wonder what to do with those old popcorn tins? Put some non-skid shelf liner on the top and the bowl stays put. Also if you need to take your dog somewhere the tin makes a great carrier for both food and bowl! I also like that the newer smaller tins aren't too high.

june

Guest MichelleRenee

I am so surprised at how many peoples greys eat laying down... I thought my boys were weirdos! lol.

I do have my water bowl raised... But that is only to keep the Iggy from swimming around in it. The little brat lol.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest spaztastic_fam

I have both options for my pups because I have a greyhound and a mediums sized collie...they both choose to eat out of the raised dishes so I think I will make them all raised...just becuase they seem to like it better

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using raised food and water bowls for my Greys for over years. It is what I learned was best. They are much more comfortable eating, and dont gag after eating or drinking like they seem to do eating or drinking off the floor (when out and about with travel bowls).

:) :)

We put our grey's food bowls on the fireplace hearth/brick platform. It's 14" tall and the fireplace doesn't work so it's perfect. They're all tall and look awkward like giraffes eating off of the floor. We gave them the option and they seem to prefer eating from the raised platform.

The water bucket is on the floor.

• 2 months later...
Guest bluefawn

I have also used elevated feeders from day one, which was sometime in 1992 or so. I have had my own plus a number of fosters. They all did/do well with the raised bowls. I now have 2 whippet girls, and they do fine with them. I have never had any bloat or torsion issues. The girls do eat their frozen chicken "paws" while lying down, but always eat their kibble and drink their water from the elevated bowls.

Guest HappyHarleysMom

Raised feeders for years. It was a personal choice having watched my greys' physical comfort level while eating was better with the bowls raised.