Advantage Oil Slick

Guest Sunset123

Guest Sunset123

I've never given Advantage or Frontline before, but at my vet's behest I gave Arrisa an application last night of Advantage. The office just gave me a single dose, so I don't have the box or insert. Is there anything I can do about the big stinky oil slick it left on her back without reducing the effectiveness?

Best advice, leave it alone and try to remember not to rub her back. It will eventually be absorbed and you won't see or feel it any more. If you wipe it off, you reduce it's effectiveness.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

It will absorb within about 72 hours. Best to leave it alone, and make others aware not to pet there.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I use Revolution but it's the same thing. With more practice, you'll not get so much on the fur. The idea is to part the hairs and apply to the skin below. You don't want to get the fur all yucked up, then you are wasting some of the dose. Although you will always get SOME on the fur. The little oily spot will be dry to the touch in a couple of hours and will be crispy feeling for the rest of the day.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest Sunset123

Best advice, leave it alone and try to remember not to rub her back. It will eventually be absorbed and you won't see or feel it any more. If you wipe it off, you reduce it's effectiveness.

Ah, good! That's what I was hoping. Thanks!

I use Frontline and for some reason only on my white coated grey does the 'oil slick' become an issue. Sometimes I put a bandana (folded to a point) around her neck to cover it loosely. This way it is a reminder for people not to touch till dry. After a few days, when all dry, I will brush that area with her dog brush. On my brindle boy, it is not problem. :dunno

Guest Sunset123

I use Frontline and for some reason only on my white coated grey does the 'oil slick' become an issue. Sometimes I put a bandana (folded to a point) around her neck to cover it loosely. This way it is a reminder for people not to touch till dry. After a few days, when all dry, I will brush that area with her dog brush. On my brindle boy, it is not problem. :dunno

Arrisa is a pretty dark brindle. It's not really a problem, I just wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing! :)

That "oil slick" is why my vet will not prescribe Advantix to anyone who has cats; the stuff is apparently very dangerous for cats, and it's too easy for cats to get it on them in that 48 hour period where the stuff is still on the fur!

I put it on George when he's on the balcony chewing a bone so he stays laying down for a while so it doesn't dribble down the sides!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Sunset123

That "oil slick" is why my vet will not prescribe Advantix to anyone who has cats; the stuff is apparently very dangerous for cats, and it's too easy for cats to get it on them in that 48 hour period where the stuff is still on the fur!

I put it on George when he's on the balcony chewing a bone so he stays laying down for a while so it doesn't dribble down the sides!

Yikes! Luckily, no cats or other animals here. I didn't get any dribbles on Arrisa, just the nasty spot on her back. :)

I buy Advantage for 55 lbs and over and split one tube between 2 dogs, 65 lbs and 75 lbs. I have never seen a flea on them and I do this about every two months. I think one tube per dog is a little bit too much.

Edited by grey8greys
gallery_1200_2898_10946.jpg

Guest Sunset123

I buy Advantage for 55 lbs and over and split one tube between 2 dogs, 65 lbs and 75 lbs. I have never seen a flea on them and I do this about every two months. I think one tube per dog is a little bit too much.

I thought it seemed like a lot, too. I'll remember this for next time, thanks.

Guest babyphoenix

agreed! i've done the same and never had a problem

Guest hlpnhounds

If you part the hair and apply the product to the SKIN in several smaller areas on the back, you will not have a huge "puddle" of oil in one spot between the shoulder blades. When we do our kennel hounds once a month, I can always tell the ones that other people applied it to from the ones that I did. Mine are barely noticeable and theirs tend to be a big blob.

At home, the only time my dogs wear a bandana is the day I've applied Frontline.....hubby knows this and is careful to not get any on him when petting the dogs that day.

Absolutely correct! Many of the products that include tick control are toxic to cats. Advantage though is for fleas only & does not contain the feline-toxic, tick control ingredient. Though regardless of the flea control ingredients I would want any spot on to dry first. Even products safe in a cat sized dose could prove toxic in a large-dog sized amounts. And one of my hounds tries to roll right after applying a spot on so extra caution is required with her. If my cats slept with the dogs a la George & the evil one this would be even more important. As it is we have Tasty Kitty who loves to rub against the dogs. My solution on tick control is to spray the dogs with Frontline Spray when headed out for an outing. It protects them immediately, doesn't matter if it gets on anything in the car & is completely dry by the time long before we get back home to the kitties.

If you part the hair and apply the product to the SKIN in several smaller areas on the back, you will not have a huge "puddle" of oil in one spot between the shoulder blades...

At home, the only time my dogs wear a bandana is the day I've applied Frontline.....hubby knows this and is careful to not get any on him when petting the dogs that day.

That is how I apply it. The first spot ons I used listed this as the correct way to apply to large dogs. I've just continued to do so to avoid the huge puddle & subsequent runoff. I really like your bandanna idea. Great so others know you've applied it & I have trouble remembering myself.

Guest Sunset123

If you part the hair and apply the product to the SKIN in several smaller areas on the back, you will not have a huge "puddle" of oil in one spot between the shoulder blades. When we do our kennel hounds once a month, I can always tell the ones that other people applied it to from the ones that I did. Mine are barely noticeable and theirs tend to be a big blob.

I tried this, but it was my first time and I was clumsy. :) I did apply to four spots instead of just one. I might not have spread them far enough apart because I wasn't sure how far down the back was safe.

Guest GreyRabbit

I usually give them a bath the day before and then apply it. Seems like it soaks in better then, but we do still have a bit of a greasy spot....

Guest Sunset123

I usually give them a bath the day before and then apply it. Seems like it soaks in better then, but we do still have a bit of a greasy spot....

Another great tip, thanks! We did a bath a couple of days before the application. I wonder how bad it would have been if I hadn't!

Guest Greytluv

This is what I do. I split one between two dogs.

Word of caution: It will eat the color off you leather couch. I have to lock my crew in my bedroom so they don't jump on the couch. I ruined two couches that way. Luckily they were both under warranty,

I would really worry about the amount of stuff I was applying if I was given that, not only about the amount of toxin on the dog, but also the risk to ourselves. I saw Jenn apply Frontline (?) while I was visiting once and I was appalled by the amount of chemical going on her dog - we don't put anything like as much on our animals over here.

I don't use any of the spot on type products because I don't like the chemicals in them, but I do know they don't leave an inch wide oil slick down the dogs' backs. It's just a small damp area between the shoulder blades. There's nothing like that quantity in our tubes.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

For large dogs Advantage should be applied in 3-4 spots along the spine.

With our greys it is hard not to get it on their fur but it does dry. I only use 1/2 tube on mine, but as someone said be careful where they lay because it can damage finishes. (it also takes off nailpolish so I have found out)

Molleigh-and-Snowy-sig2.jpg

CAROL & Molleigh (Queen Molly)
My Angel Girl (Slippy's Molly) ~ Thank you for sending me your namesake ~

Guest Sunset123

I would really worry about the amount of stuff I was applying if I was given that, not only about the amount of toxin on the dog, but also the risk to ourselves. I saw Jenn apply Frontline (?) while I was visiting once and I was appalled by the amount of chemical going on her dog - we don't put anything like as much on our animals over here.

I don't use any of the spot on type products because I don't like the chemicals in them, but I do know they don't leave an inch wide oil slick down the dogs' backs. It's just a small damp area between the shoulder blades. There's nothing like that quantity in our tubes.

You know, normally I'd agree with you. I'm very careful about what my dog eats, drinks, plays with, sleeps on, etc. But when the natural remedies aren't cutting it and my dog is suffering (scratching until she bleeds), I'm going to do whatever it takes to make her feel better. I'm not a big proponent of this type of product, and I only bought a single dose from my vet. If I end up needing to treat her again, I know now that I don't have to use the whole tube.

Guest mcsheltie

If you divide up large dose Advantage a 60-70 lb GH should get 3cc. There is 4 cc in the package.

If you bathe them before applying it should be done two days before so the body oils have a chance to return. This allows the product to spread correctly.

You know, normally I'd agree with you. I'm very careful about what my dog eats, drinks, plays with, sleeps on, etc. But when the natural remedies aren't cutting it and my dog is suffering (scratching until she bleeds), I'm going to do whatever it takes to make her feel better. I'm not a big proponent of this type of product, and I only bought a single dose from my vet. If I end up needing to treat her again, I know now that I don't have to use the whole tube.

Understood. :nod I don't use natural remedies though, I use Capstar and Program (lofenuron). Both are specifically aimed at disrupting insect metabolism and have a very low mammal toxicity, but neither is natural.

Edit for double post

Edited by silverfish

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop