So Many Babies

I agree- every time I open up GT it seems like there's a new hound with OS. How prevalant IS cancer in our beloved greys, and other dogs? I'm sure there is a smaller percentage than it seems, right? Right?

unsure.gif

I am also reeling from the numbers of "C" diagnosis posted recently. When Dr. Couto spoke at Sandy Paws in 2008, he projected that 2 of 3 racing greyhounds (not show dogs) will be diagnosed with some form of cancer. That was two years ago, so I am not sure if that stat has changed. Dr. Couto's GH&W program not only benefits our beloved hounds, but crosses over to the human side - he works closely with the OSU Medical School. Makes me wish I had millions to donate to his program. Just think what a $10.00 dollar donation from every registered GTer would do!

I heard him speak last year, and he said about 25% (so that's 1 in 4, right?).

Shocking--because all of the books you read (hopefully!) before you adopt, talk about how healthy greyhounds are. I suppose they are, except for the bone cancer.

You have to figure it's genetic. With sperm being sold all over the country and some dogs producing THOUSANDS of pups, it's easy to see how it could become so prevalent.

It's heartbreaking, and I'm not sure I would have adopted a greyhound if I had known there was a 25% chance the one I picked would fall to such a painful disease.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I did not respond to this yesterday as my thoughts were elsewhere however where this post progressed from Mary Pat just reaching out letting us know that many are feeling the pain of this disease, not just those with pups that have it. She has too much recent experience with cancer and her pups. The progression of this post to whether Greys are more prone or not to Osteo and then to anyone considering not to adopt because of this disease. Let's talk about the subject of Greys and Osteo.

Greyhounds are more prone to Osteo, period. Many large dogs get this disease however due to the nature of racing Greyhounds, one does not have to look past genetics to know this is the cause. As was quoted, 25% will die from this disease - yes 1 in 4. If one looks at how cancer affects people, 25% of people will die from cancer, yes 1 in 4.

As for adopting Greyhounds, these are magnificent dogs that need a home and are forever grateful for it. They lighten up one's life like nothing else. My DW Lynn brought this very subject up yesterday and I was quite passionate with my answer. First and foremost, I told her Charlie is not gone and he will be here for as long as possible and not to think of the end, think of this as the beginning of another cycle of his life with us. And if he could talk and knew what was happening to him, he would say that no matter the outcome, please open your heart after I am gone to another as you have gave me everything that I would have ever wanted. Whether you open your heart and your home for a month, a year or a decade to these hounds, they will change your life in a positive way, I guarantee that. They deserve this and so much more so why penalize them for something they have no control over.

Kyle

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

oh kyle that was beautiful -- and i have the same exact thoughts. yes, my heart is breaking right now....but what i have gained from rivie is so much more than i ever gave. yes, she will take a piece of my heart, but she will leave a bigger piece of hers here with me to fill the hole.

Guest VaGreymom

I lost a 5 year old girl to Osteo last December. It devasted me, the disease it just horrible, but I would not change anything if I could. She has left me with so many wonderful memories and added joy to my life. I am thankful for the time I had her. There does seem to be more and more cases of OS each day, maybe I am more attentive to it now that I have gone through it. I pray for a cure.

I pop into H&M often and notice his as well. Though I have no personal experience with it, it's very sad and disheartening. It scares me to think that the likelyhood of one of mine to get osteo is pretty good. :(

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Lisa with Finnegan (Nina's Fire Fly) and Sage (Gil's Selma). Always missing Roscoe
www.popdogdesigns.net pop art prints, custom portraits and collars

As for adopting Greyhounds, these are magnificent dogs that need a home and are forever grateful for it. They lighten up one's life like nothing else. My DW Lynn brought this very subject up yesterday and I was quite passionate with my answer. First and foremost, I told her Charlie is not gone and he will be here for as long as possible and not to think of the end, think of this as the beginning of another cycle of his life with us. And if he could talk and knew what was happening to him, he would say that no matter the outcome, please open your heart after I am gone to another as you have gave me everything that I would have ever wanted. Whether you open your heart and your home for a month, a year or a decade to these hounds, they will change your life in a positive way, I guarantee that. They deserve this and so much more so why penalize them for something they have no control over.

Kyle

Kyle, you've spoken far more eloquently than I can about this. Thank you so much for your courage and love of your hounds.

The sad fact is, nearly all of us will outlive our beloved companions. The only good thing about that is that we will be here to care for them and they will not be left behind. Yes, I am speaking generally.

It's been a rough couple of days, and I've not been able to read H&M because my heart keeps breaking for all of you. I am so sorry.

I heard him speak last year, and he said about 25% (so that's 1 in 4, right?).

Shocking--because all of the books you read (hopefully!) before you adopt, talk about how healthy greyhounds are. I suppose they are, except for the bone cancer.

You have to figure it's genetic. With sperm being sold all over the country and some dogs producing THOUSANDS of pups, it's easy to see how it could become so prevalent.

It's heartbreaking, and I'm not sure I would have adopted a greyhound if I had known there was a 25% chance the one I picked would fall to such a painful disease.

Greyhounds are generally healthy and long lived for a large breed, particularly regarding genetic diseases. But, as a favorite doctor of mine has said, if nothing else kills you, cancer will eventually. It just might have to wait a long time. Also, NGA greys are training and racing before their bones are fully mature, and I expect someday the research to prove this as a cause.

I can be in tears looking at my hounds sleeping close to me just thinking about how things will end. I do know our life together will end at some point, certainly before I'd ever wish it would, but I'd never trade these hounds for any promise of no illness or effort ever. I will have greys as long as I'm able to and we will face everything together.

I know, brave talk. But these dogs are special. Every dog is special. And every time a dog comes home, no matter the breed, we are playing with odds that are simply against us. I choose to accept that, eyes wide open.

I once read an Erma Bombeck book that was released after she died. Her dh wrote an epilogue describing life together as a rollcoaster ride. They get on, uncertain of what to expect. The ride took them up and down, on twists and turns, through tunnels and over hills. Yet, when the ride was finally over, he begged for the chance to go again.

Pretty much sums up my feelings about Sirocco and his os. He is going to break my heart in the very near future, but I'd do it all over again in a minute.

Drake - Fortified Power x Cajun Oriel

Janney - Ronco x Sol Happy

Waiting at the bridge: Sirocco - (Reko Sirocco) - Trojan Episode x Reko Princess; Nikki - (MPS Sharai) - Devilish Episode x MPS Daisy Queen;
Yukon - (Yak Back) - Epic Prince x Barts Cinnamon

Guest IrskasMom

Kyle , you said it so wonderful.Yes , I had a Baby with OS , he will never be forgotten. I stepped right in there again and enjoy every Moment with my Morty.

And it makes me wonder what diseases we're seeing here, that you guys don't have much of! But I do know that OS isn't considered anywhere near inevitable here. Lucky for us, unlucky for you. :cry1

What do you guys feed your dogs? And if kibble, what is it made from? Commercially raised animals or other?

Is racing different there than here? Length of time, when they start training, length of track or races, etc.? Other than genetics, which I could see would be a huge factor as I don't imagine there's much cross breeding b/w UK and US dogs, those are the things I think of first, but what do I know? :dunno

So sorry, I missed this yesterday.

The biggest difference I can see between US and UK racing greyhounds is that in the US, they're kept singly in crates, and the boys have to jump to the top deck and back each time they go out or in. In the UK, the only time they're crated is to go to and from the track (they live with their trainers here, not at the track). Their living quarters are at ground level, in kennels large enough for two to share, and the usual thing is for a dog and a bitch to share, and they share a bed, too. That's the reason I think we get less sleep startle here, but I asked Dr C about the crate thing and he said it was an interesting thought, but that 1) they didn't see enough of a difference between the sexes and the incidence of OS, and 2) from findings so far, he was leaning heavily towards genetics being the biggest factor.

Track length varies here, but they run on an oval track, always anticlockwise. Sid's races were all over 420 metres/459 yards, except his very first (probably a trial) which was 480 m/525 yards. At Belle Vue (the track I looked at first to check) the distances raced are 237, 465, 465H, 647 and 875 metres. The H stands for hurdles, I believe. Here at Peterborough, the distances raced are 235, 420, 605, 790, and 975 metres. The longer races are unusual, from what I've seen.

There's only one other possible difference that I can think of but it's a mere thought and this thread is not the place for it.

As to cross breeding between UK dogs and US dogs, looking at their pedigrees, there's been a huge amount in the not-too-distant past. Maybe not so much now, but maybe that's why the incidence is going up? :dunno

Greyhounds are more prone to Osteo, period. Many large dogs get this disease however due to the nature of racing Greyhounds, one does not have to look past genetics to know this is the cause. As was quoted, 25% will die from this disease - yes 1 in 4.

It's a terrible statistic and it's been eating at me. You see, as I said earlier, we simply don't see that level of bone cancer in greyhounds here in the UK. So if it were a simple matter of racing ... well, surely we'd see more here?

Kyle

Very well said. :nod

I've personally met one dog who had a leg amputated due to osteosarcoma. He was a border collie called 'Tip', and it was a front leg. Once he'd recovered, boy did that dog enjoy life! And he lived at least a year, because I'd see him going past our house to get to the fields.

Here's hoping that Charlie, and the other three (?) diagnosed this week, will each be another 'Tip'. May they live long, and well!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

As for adopting Greyhounds, these are magnificent dogs that need a home and are forever grateful for it. They lighten up one's life like nothing else.

So true, Kyle. As I said, when I heard "recovered from a fracture" I had that momentary hesitation and the word "osteo" flew through my head - but I looked at his infectious smile and thought that I wasn't giving up on the opportunity for the joy that this guy could bring. And, I agree, especially for those considering the adoption of greys, I would hate to see the fear of Osteo make them hesitate.....Even losing Jack to something unrelated after having him one week short of two years - if I had a crystal ball and knew what was coming, I still would not have given up one day of the joy he brought.....

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.