Osteosarcoma What To Expect?

Guest Dana

Guest azlorenz

Hi Dana,

Charlie and my Flash went through amputations last week days apart. Flash's was last Thursday and he came home Friday due to his distaste for the hospital. We brought home a dog who had gone through amputation surger a little over 24 hours earlier doped out of his mind. Please, please, if we can be of any help do not hesitate to ask. If I hadn't had Kyle and the other wise ones of Greytalk to reassure me I'd have bit a bigger hot mess than I already was. My email is shannonlorenz@cox.net and I keep my bb with me at all times so please if you need someone do not hesitate. Sending prayers and good thoughts for John.

Shannon

Dana,

Just adding this here as I sent you an e-mail already from the Artemisinin group Jen suggested joining. You can e-mail me at kyle241_2000@yahoo.com for any questions, concerns, etc. so please feel free to contact me. As Shannon wrote, it helps having others who are going through this so you know that you are not alone nor is John. We are hoping the best for you and him and will be here for you.

Kyle

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Sending best wishes :grouphug

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

hugs to john & his humans!! we too are on this path. rivie was diagnosed (via biopsy) right after flash and charlie. hers is a little different as the tumor is on her rib. we have no option but the pain control route. please keep in touch so we can have a little support. i have little advise at this time, but i totally understand all the emotions right now as we are in the same boat. keep in touch - and my prayers go out to you and john.

Guest dwolfe711

WE are so sorry for John's diagnosis - we've been through this too many times - it never gets easier.

Neyla's Mom started a thread asking about 3 months post diagnosis - I posted our experiences there as did many others - you may want to check that out if you haven't already read it -

Hugs to you and John - you are in our thoughts and prayers -

Dana, today is John's amputation day, right? Has he gone into surgery yet? Any word on how he's doing? Please let us know when you get a minute. I am thinking of both of you and sending lots of good thoughts that John has an easy, successful surgery and recovery. :hope

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Dana, today is John's amputation day, right? Has he gone into surgery yet? Any word on how he's doing? Please let us know when you get a minute. I am thinking of both of you and sending lots of good thoughts that John has an easy, successful surgery and recovery. :hope

I e-mailed Dana earlier today and she stated that John's amp was postponed due to an emergency of some kind. She is awaiting for the reschedule date.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I am so sorry. We have been this route too, although we did opt for amputation to end her pain. I hope you can manage his pain for many days to come and build many more memories.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I'm so, so sorry.

While I haven't gone through this, friends have. You're on the right path; pain meds and lots of spoiling. You will know when the time comes to say goodbye.

:grouphug

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest carolxi

My Beautiful Grey was diagnosed yesterday with Osteosarcoma in his right hind leg. I took him to the vet on Tuesday for a slight limp that had started just a few days before. Of course, I did all of the paw checking, feeling his toes, pads, and up his leg but there wasn't any visible injury and he didn't seem to have any pain while I was checking him. Well, my worst fear was confirmed. We have chosen to keep him comfortable, opting to not amputate and try chemo. I am absolutely heart sick. I have cried endlessly since I took him Tuesday and they told me what they suspected. John Curly is a very sweet and timid Grey. He is 2 months shy of his 7th birthday. I have been blessed by God to have him for 4 short years. I have two different pain meds for him and I am going to try to stop crying in front of him and spoil him even more than I do for the rest of his life. Can any of you that have gone through this tell me what to expect? The vet says a couple of months. I will not let him lay in pain. I find it heartbreaking to look at his beautiful eyes knowing what is coming. Any advice or words of wisdom would be more than welcome. ~~John's Mom

I am so so sorry that this has happened to you and to another grey. I'm amazed at how close your story is to mine; Anubis just turned 7 on May first, and I noticed that he had started holding his back left leg up at the end of May. I just learned a couple of weeks ago its osteo. He is now getting 2 caps of Gabapentin in the morning with one tramadol and in the evening he gets another tramadol. Apparently we cught it early; the vet thinks he has about 5-6 months. Seven is the average age that dogs get it and it is more common in large breed dogs. I'm not convinced that greys get it any more or less than other large dogs. When we are on this site, it may just seem that way, but remember this site has posts from all over U.S. and Canada and other countries join in too. Also, greys haven't been pets for very long (20 years?), so there may not be good stats on these things for them yet.

I will have had Anubis for 4 years at the end of August :(