4Th Of July Question

hello, i know this topic comes up every year. sorry if i'm repeating the same old question:

when jackie hears a firecracker, she trembles quietly for probably an hour. i hate to see her like this. aside from

turning the tv volume way up, and giving something holistic...would anyone recommend giving her a little xanax?

i plan to call the vet tomorrow for advice. i'm just wondering about your success stories, giving "people" drugs for this.

much thanks and happy 4th to all,

tracy

2rqyqhd.jpg

I've tried a number of different things for Fletcher without much success. This year my vet gave me some Valium for him, I really hope this works, I feel so bad for him!

definitely check with your vet, Valium or Xanax should help.

Guest dogdaze

Yes. I would definitely give him Xanax. It's short term and relieves anxiety. I give it to my Sheltie, who is a wreck during fireworks. He's calm for the duration and the next day it is out of his system. I've tried holistic remedies and they don't work. We also put all the dogs is the car and take them for a drive out of town when fireworks are happening. We also live a block away from the park and that is where the Canada Day firework display will be this evening, so we are going to hit the road. I think it is way better to sedate them than to have them go through that stress. Good Luck.

My vets say no xanax but 10mg of valium is fine. I have a script for them all! I have more valium in the house now than I ever did before. I also have xanax but was told not for the dogs. (greyhounds)

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Energy11

MOST definitely on the Xanax. We just started using it for Cari's thunder-phobia, and it works like a charm! I checked with my former vet/employer, and he said Xanax is fine. I use 1/1 of a 2.5 mg. tablet. (**BUT, I'd check with YOUR vet first before giving Xanax or Valium).

I also have Valium, but that is for Curfew's "episodes."

Good Luck!

i think we've decided to go with some plug in DAP diffusers, and whatever drug my vet recommends today. there's also a 5 minute recording of fireworks you can download from

Amazon, and start playing it at a very low volume and work your way up. i got that, too, but not sure if it's too late for that one. maybe for New Years. :/

2rqyqhd.jpg

Recheck that dosage for Zanax. I'm 215# and take 0.25 mg and sometimes 1/2 of that. I use 5mg melatonin for the greys and fireworks. 1 hour before the big bang at 9pm at the waterfront,then another tab at 11pm so we all can get some sleep while the pops go all night in the hood

Update on the drug thing, since more bangs are coming....i got some acepromazine from my vet yesterday. And bought an herbal remedy too. When the popping noises began, both dogs started panting and drooling and shaking. Gave them both one herbal thing, and 1 pill from the vet. It worked like a charm, they both just fell asleep and all of us had a better night for it. Hopefully that will happen tonight and tomorrow night, too. People in our neighborhood love to have their own mini fireworks displays.

Edited by tra708
2rqyqhd.jpg

Guest KennelMom

I'll be picking up a valium prescription for our dogs later today. We only need to dose a couple of them, but we like to keep in in the house.

Guest Sweetreba

Update on the drug thing, since more bangs are coming....i got some acepromazine from my vet yesterday. And bought an herbal remedy too. When the popping noises began, both dogs started panting and drooling and shaking. Gave them both one herbal thing, and 1 pill from the vet. It worked like a charm, they both just fell asleep and all of us had a better night for it. Hopefully that will happen tonight and tomorrow night, too. People in our neighborhood love to have their own mini fireworks displays.

I was so glad to read this. I got some acepromazine from my vet today since Reba was a mess last night. I read a couple articles on it and their was a forum on it that scared me about using it. I asked the vet about it cause I read it before I went. He said he has used it on sighthounds for 40 years with no problems. I even called the adoption coordinator and she said they use it at the kennel for dogs that are spooked with storms etc. He said give her one when I got home and see how she acts and if needed give her a half later. I decided to just give her one an hour before I think it will start. I feel better hearing you used it last night without problems. I know everyone has their opinions and sometimes I just don't know which way to go. It's funny I took her for a walk and someone was shooting them off and outside of her perking her ears up she was fine. Maybe it is when she is closed in the house and hears it she freaks. Who knows.

Guest Sweetreba

A typical dosage for alprazolam in dogs is 0.01 to 0.05 mg per pound (0.02 to 0.1 mg/kg) every 12 hours.

I looked it up. Aprazolam is Xanax and you are right on the dosage. Acepromazide dosage is 1 mg per pound of body weight but that has to be for surgery and vet uses. He gave me 10 mg tabs and from what I read it said to start with the lowest dose. It reads 2 tabs ever 6-8 hrs. He told me to up it 1/2 tab if needed. I really do not see me needing more than the 10 mg. He told me to watch and if I see she is out cut back if she is still in a panic up it. Up to 2 tabs.

I used Ace for my half grey once, I chose to never use it again. It did nothing to assuage his fear, it basically put him in a chemical straight jacket, he was still terrified, but couldn't move in a meaningful way to make himself feel safe. It was like he was the living dead. It seemed very cruel to me. In terms of prescription drugs, I would only use Valium and Xanax, they help to assuage the fear, not put them in a drug induced straight jacket where they are still terrified, but can't really move. I'll never forget the look in his eyes, it was awful.

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest Swifthounds

Ace can go either way. Some dogs it sedates, other dogs it causes more of the signs of anxiety. No way to tell how the particular dog will react until you give it. That said, it's been commonly used in horses (where I had my first experiences with it) and dogs for many years.

For a dog you're usually safe with 0.25mg to 1mg per pound, unless they're in the category of dogs that have a non-sedative effect (a minority, but not what you want at a time of stress). I would give the low dose (the half, if they're scored) at least an hour before "festivities" and watch and go from there. If it's not enough, ease up slowly. Dogs have a funny way of going from still anxious to zonked.

I am reading all this with interest. We have at least a four day weekend of fireworks here. Last night was night 1. I did not sedate my two and they were complete wrecks. Panting, pacing, drooling, hiding, scratching the carpet trying to crawl in a corner and one hiding in the bathtub. I was so stressed witnessing their stress, that I needed to be sedated!

Tonight - night 2. Before anything even began, I feed them a big dinner to fill up their bellies - barbecued turkey burgers. Then gave them 1 melatonin each. Took them for a long walk. Came home and gave them Bach's Thunder Storm (and loud noises) flower essences. It is similar to Rescue Remedy.

It is now booming outside with fireworks and they are both sound asleep in the living room, with the fan going on fast and the tv on loud. Phew. I hope this lasts.

Two more days to go..... Good Luck everyone! Poor puppers - I feel so sorry for them because they just don't know how safe they really are.

Guest Sweetreba

Well I gave my 10 mg of acepromazide to Reba and it did work on my dog well. She was alert but very calm. She shook when she heard the first boom then 15 mins. later she stopped and napped. It did not knock her out just took the edge off. She acted like she does every evening dozing. Otherwise it was panting and shaking and running from room to room.

I spoke with our adoption coordinator and she did tell me do not baby her it increases the behavior. Tell her to lay down as a command. If she lays by you do not pet her just let her know you are there. They said that is how they broke their dog with storms and fireworks and it took a year or more but it did work. I did do it and she did listen and layed down. I am going to try and see if I can do a little training with storms. She only started the storm thing this year. She did not do it before.