Adopting Another Dog Question

Guest metta_peace

Guest metta_peace

When we adopted our greyhound, Ravi, we already had a 20 lb. mixed breed dog. The 2 of them bonded nicely, however, Lily passed away last Summer. My son's dog has been keeping Ravi company, but will be moving soon. So I've started the hunt for the perfect companion. I'm thinking of a small dog (like my sweet Lily).

Well I made my first trip to the Humane Society and fell in love with the tiniest dog ever! She's a 6 lb. chihuahua and terrier mix. Would it be crazy to think that an 80 lb grey and a 6 lb. teacup could become best friends? I'd like to hear some of your experiences! (BTW Ravi is good w/ cats). They will be meeting today.

Metta

Guest kydie

My grey does NOT like small dogs, moves away from them, I think it is their quick movements, althouight he is also not cat safe Good Luck

P.S. me,,,,,,,,I like big dogs the bigger the better :lol

Another Greyhound would be the PERFECT companion!!

But seriously! There's no reason to think they can't get along. You'd have to put them together though, to really know for sure.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest gecko_foot

I think it's a definite possibility. Tumnus doesn't bat an eye at small dogs. After the initial inspection, he decides that the little dog isn't all that interesting and ignores it.

If all goes well on the first meeting, I think the chihuahua will end up ruling the house instead of the greyhound.

Good luck!

Guest metta_peace

Thanks for all your responses. The grey and the chihuahua did great together....bur the chi had lots of anxiety issues, yipping, jumping frantically, scurrying away when approached, etc. Apparently she may have been a puppy mill dog and spent her whole life in a kennel (and 2 humane societies in 2 states) Everyone says she had a hard life, and that is a real magnet for me.

I have to really think this through. A grounded grey would be so much easier. My issue is that my car isn't big enough to carry 2 greys (unless they lined up neatly), and that's just a lot of big dog!! However, maybe I could find a petite 50 lb grey : ) Also, I guess I'm so lucky because my first greyhound is just awesome. I'm not sure if I'd be able to handle a dog w/ separation anxiety or some of the other grey problems~

Metta

My grey does NOT like small dogs, moves away from them, I think it is their quick movements, althouight he is also not cat safe Good Luck

P.S. me,,,,,,,,I like big dogs the bigger the better :lol

Just because they are not cat safe does not mean they are not other breed safe!!! My Teddy is not other breed safe at all, NO other breeds other than a greyhound BUT loves loves loves the 3 kitties we have here at home with him.

Have you considered another greyhound as a possibility! That's a good fit! ;)

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

My issue is that my car isn't big enough to carry 2 greys (unless they lined up neatly), and that's just a lot of big dog!!

Unless you have a Smart Car or a two seater you probably have enough room for two greys. I've put some serious miles on a Mazda Protage and Nissan Sentra in the last 10 years with two greyhounds (one always being 90 pounds or over) in the back. Just fill in the footwells in the back seat if you need more than a short hop, Fill them even with the seat -- people have used file boxes, suitcases, dog beds, pillows and any combination of the above as well as other things. Toss a blanket over the top and you have a nice big back seat that will hold two greys comfortably (and has many times held two greys and a poodle).

I've never had any problems on short trips to the vet, pet store, etc. with just two greys in the back of my compact cars. Night before last I had a 70 pound boy, a 55 pound girl and a 27# poodle all in the back seat for well over an hour with no issues.

Cihuahuas in general were one of the most problem breeds (for a variety of reasons, one of them being agression) in the two years I worked at the dog daycare. Not that they are all bad -- I'm sure there are wonderful chihuahuas out there, I just wouldn't sign up for one with issues.

I had yorkies before getting greys and another thing to consider is that very often smaller dogs have more housebreaking issues. Yep, they may be little teeny pees but they add up. I love poodle to death and he may be the best dog I've ever had, but he is a very big mini -- I wouldn't want a dog any smaller than him.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I think my only worry with such a small dog was that it could easily get injured during normal play. If your grey is at all bouncey or spazz-y when it plays, you might just keep in mind Chihuahua's can break bones very easily.

Jennifer, Mike and the menagerie ---

Molly (Blue Sky Dreamin), Tinker (BT My Lil Girl) and their feline brothers Miles and Lewis

Visit Molly's Photo Album

Although greyhounds get along with other breeds of dogs and other animals, they do best and are happiest with other greyhounds. Why not consider another greyhound?

PRINCESS
ANGELS: SUSIE (BANDIT SUE) 3/26/1991-5/13/2006, TIPPER (MPS KRISTINA) 7/23/1999-2/4/2008, LADYBUG (BB'S LADYBUG) 5/19/2005-7/9/2008,
HAPPY 12/2000-10/9/2013, RICHY (DON L RICHY RICH) 11/5/2002-5/17/2015, DARREN 9/24/2005-3/2/2017, TUCKER (AWESOME ABILITY) 12/29/2004-12/4/2017,
BUG (BB'S DANCING BUG) 5/19/2005-11/17/2018, Dee (KIOWA DIANDRA) 10/9/2007-6/20/2022, Buddy (PJ PLUTARCH) 11/21/2013-9/8/2023)

I love the name Ravi for a dog! Anyway I think it depends on the grey. My two have no love for small dogs but I have known other greys who love their smaller companions.

Missing Zola, my hero and my heart; and Brin, my baby dog, my wisp of love.

Guest jaws4evr

We have one GH, one Pitty mix, and two cats. The GH (and the Pitty mix) get along great with the cats. However, they do not have the bond with the cats that they do with eachother, simply because they're not allowed to play with the cats, due to the risk of injury. They more or less ignore the cats, aside from the occasional b u m sniff, but they do not show play behavior or affection towards the cats.

So my take is, although the GH might get along teriffically with a little dog, it might not get the fulfilment that a full-sized dog friend might provide.

I have to really think this through. A grounded grey would be so much easier. My issue is that my car isn't big enough to carry 2 greys (unless they lined up neatly), and that's just a lot of big dog!! However, maybe I could find a petite 50 lb grey : ) Also, I guess I'm so lucky because my first greyhound is just awesome. I'm not sure if I'd be able to handle a dog w/ separation anxiety or some of the other grey problems~

ANY breed of dog can have separation anxiety, etc. We currently have 4 greyhounds (our 3 + 1 foster). All of them have been super easy. Honestly, I've heard of more "problems" with other breeds than with greyhounds. The worst dog I ever had in regards to separation anxiety, thunderphobia, housebreaking, etc. was a purebred cocker spaniel.

As for size, we fit two greyhounds in the back of a Chevy Malibu (4-door sedan). We only made the switch to a larger vehicle when we added a third greyhound. If we've only got 2 of our greys on a trip, we take our Pontiac Vibe.

I'm not telling you to not get a small dog. As mentioned before, our grey Celeste adores small dogs. I just don't understand your logic when it comes to another greyhound.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Guest Stripeyfan

Kelly is not cat-safe AT-ALL but his small dog manners are absolutely impeccable. It's usually the small dogs that freak out about him cuz he's so big!

Guest leash

I had a 6 lbs. rat terrier for 7 years and I would say large dogs are a lot easier. Like others have said I would worry with your greyhound playing with such a small dog. My rat terrier jumped off the couch wrong and broke her leg. I can only amagine what could happen if I had a small dog with greyhound Magnum.