My Caroline And Cats

Guest chinamom

Guest PhillyPups

First, I am sorry you are in this situation and have been for 2 months. The stress level must be maxed out.

In reading this, my opinion is that your first priority is for the safety of the cats. If she is intent on them the cats will never be safe. I do not have cats, will never have cats, so I seek out high prey hounds as they are just as you described, loving, sweet, gentle. BUT let a cat get around them and their instnct kicks in. It must be terrifying for the cats to have to live in their home full of fear, when they should feel safe and secure all the time. I am thinking of my very high prey girl and the stress she would feel as she is always totally game on when anything little gets in her range. She is much like your girl.

In addition, to rehome the cats would teach your children that cats are disposable family members. No member of my family is disposable. If I bring in a new hound and things do not calm down in the time limit I have, they cannot stay. I am fortunate that with greyhounds they are used to being with other greyhounds so it has been a non-issue for me.

Your greyhound will be rehomed to a home much like mine, no cats or small critters to tempt her to eat them, as it is not polite to eat your family members.

I have witnessed what a high prey greyhound can do to a cat. As an adult it is something I have a hard time shakng off. I certainly would not want my child to see it.

To keep her is only setting her up to fail.

You would not be failing her to have her rehomed to a place where she can live stress free too.

Good luck. I do not envy your position.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BorzoiMom

Consider yourself a foster for her and you now have better information to send with her. The thought of sending the first pets away (regardless of what they may me) infuriates me beyond end, so I won't post any further on that part.

I have a cat and 2 Borzoi. My first dog I had to drive 16 hours round trip to pick him up. Had he gone for the cat it would have been an immediate 16 hour trip back. The cat can jump over them, run past, and sniff their feet, she even curled up on the couch with the second one within hours of her (dog) being home.

Guest chinamom

Thanks everyone,

My husband and I have read every response and finally we have got the picture....

Caroline will be returned and given the chance to be adopted into a better home for her. I must say though, that we are rather nervous about another houndie in our house....

I can hardly wait to have these cats upstairs rubbing against us and begging for the taps to drip again!

We'll let you know what happens.

Again, thanks, you helped us make a hard decision.

Barb in Ontario, Canada

I'm happy to read about your decision. Caroline will be much happier in a no-cat environment and much more

relaxed as will your cats. Please don't be nervous about getting another grey. You will find the right one for your

home and your cats will sense that the dog means them no harm. If your group fosters, perhaps you can get a

grey who has been fostered with cats. Good luck and keep us updated.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Thanks everyone,

My husband and I have read every response and finally we have got the picture....

Caroline will be returned and given the chance to be adopted into a better home for her. I must say though, that we are rather nervous about another houndie in our house....

I can hardly wait to have these cats upstairs rubbing against us and begging for the taps to drip again!

Barb in Ontario, Canada

Go check out the photos in the thread looking for pictures of hounds and kitties! There are lots and lots of us who have both a Greyhound (or more than one!) and a cat (or more than one!) and do just fine.

Caroline will be just fine! I'm sure it was a hard thing to decide, but it'll all work out.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest 4dogscrazy

I am happy to hear of your decision, although I know it is heartbreaking. I like the idea of considering yourself her foster, that is a nice way to think of the sitution. Caroline will be placed in a non-kitty home and she will be happy there, and her new owners will thank you for getting her house ready :)

It is normal to feel a little nervous about adding pets to your home, I wish more people would consider their first pets before they added new ones. This applies to cats and new dogs too! Just like people, not every dog and cat likes each other, and good owners will prepare themselves for the worst case scenario.

I too, worry about the kids seeing a fight, which would probably end up badly for the kitty and the hound. They might not ever get over that.

There are many dogs that are cat safe, I have four! With Tempe, who was my first, we took a long time to feel safe but she had raced the longest. Jesse, I got when he just turned 2, and he was not a good racer. He has low prey drive and would rather visit with people :lol

Your kitty might be afraid of the new dog, since this has been probably traumatic for her. Let the kitty approach at her own pace. The other thing I have noticed, is that a confident cat will let you know if the dog is cat safe. My kitty was very wary of Tempe, walked right up to Jesse, and still watches Piper with caution. Their instincts are much better than ours!

Good Luck! Keep us up to date if you can.

Guest ShanYu

Good call - hard as I know it will be. Our boy is very cat safe though he and the cats have a healthy respect for eachother. Had he not been - he would have been rehomed for all the reasons others have given above. There are many cat safe hounds looking for homes - I hope you decide to give one a chance.

Guest SillyIzzysMom

Thanks everyone,

Barb in Ontario, Canada

I think you're making a good decision for your kitties and for Caroline. But please remember there are LOTS of greyhounds who are just fine with cats; I have three such hounds in my house right now. TONS of folks here on GT have cat-tolerant dogs. I really hope you don't let this experience sour you on greyhounds as a breed. This could have happened with any breed of dog, not just a greyhound. Of course, even if you adopt the Mother Theresa of dogs your cats will have to go through an adjustment with a dog in the house. The cats are going to be angry and scared at first, but they figure out soon enough that the hound is harmless and everything works out. They might never be best buddies, but mutual ignoring is pretty good too.

You just need a dog whose temperament is suited for a cat-home. :)

It's a very hard decision for you to make. Just know that it's the right one. Caroline will be in a home where she can thrive and be all the houndie she can be, and your cats will be home and happy and safe.

Hopefully your group can find you a great greyhound that is OK with cats - a grey returned or bounced, or fostered with cats would be an ideal one for you. Sometimes, greyhounds react differently to a cat they're living with as opposed to a cat-testing situation. I've had five cat-tolerant greys with our three (previously four) cats and absolutely no problems at all.

Good luck the second time around and please keep us posted!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Sorry you have to make such a hard decision. I know how attached you can get in just a couple of months. Just know that there's another home for Caroline that will be the perfect match, and another dog is waiting just for you guys to find, too! Don't be nervous, it's obvious you care about your pets or you wouldn't have tried so hard to make it work with Caroline.

Our Molly came to us as a bounce --- at her starter home, it wasn't working out with their cat, but she worked out perfectly in ours from day one (with our two cats). Sometimes it's a matter of finding the right match.

Jennifer, Mike and the menagerie ---

Molly (Blue Sky Dreamin), Tinker (BT My Lil Girl) and their feline brothers Miles and Lewis

Visit Molly's Photo Album

Tough decision, I am sure - but you did the right thing. Please don't give up on a Greyhound!

I have 5 greyhounds and 3 cats. I was scared to death to get my first greyhound because my kitties were here long before the thought of a greyhound even entered my mind.

2 of my cats are very long haired (think bunny!)

They all get along wonderfully. One of my cats THINKS she IS a greyhound and trys to be one of the pack.

If you do a search, you can see many pictures of greyhounds with kitties. I have many to share if you would like to see.

Tell the adoption group you want to see the cat testing.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest chinamom

I wanted to tell all the people who read my post and replied that you helped my family so much. For some unknown reason we just could not come up with this decision without hearing from numerous people with experience.

Everyday we hoped we would wake up to a dog who no longer hunted our cats.

We have no doubt that Caroline will find a cat free home and we returned her this week to the agency.

We now have a new girl who is quite nervous but has met both cats and seems to think they are not worth even looking at.

The BEST part is that the cats are already almost back to normal and sleeping on their backs on couches! They really seem to know that this houndie finds them la di da rather than snack material.

Thanks again all.

Barb in Ontario, Canada

Guest BlingDogs

It's really hard to think that you would have to give Caroline away, but think of it this way- If you find a good home for her and get another, that's two happy greys!

I am glad to read that your cats have already given your new girlie the seal of approval! What is her name? Pictures? I know it was a tough decision, but the right ones usually are.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Well this is wonderful, a happy ending for two hounds! Congratulations on your new girl. I'm so glad she doesn't react to the cats and that the cats can now rejoin the family.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest PhillyPups

I read this update with a smile. Not only are your cats now safe, but Caroline will not be walking on egg shells and will find a home where she can also relax. I cannot imagine the stress my high prey hounds would have living with a kitty and nit being allowed to find the kitty.

Now, tell us about your new girl. (Well besides that she is cat tolerant and your kitties are now relaxed :lol )

I'm so happy for all of you! It must be so less stressful for you and the kitties knowing they are not being stalked. They do seem to know when

there is no threat from the dog. What is your new girl's name? Yes, we do need pictures.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Guest Mom2Shiloh

Thanks everyone,

Barb in Ontario, Canada

Don't be afraid of trying with another Greyhound. From 1996 until 2007 I had Greyhounds and cats living together in complete harmony. The reason I don't now is because my last, elderly cat, went to Rainbow Bridge July 7, 2007. My first greyhound, Harley Stardancer, slept on my bed surrounded by the 4 cats who loved him most, and when my dear sweet Meaghan went to sleep for the final time at home, my 2 golden cats sat on her bed with her as she passed. My Silver, who is 10 and came to me last year at age 9, would curl up and take a nap with a cat or bunny without blinking an eye. There are hundreds of completely catsafe Greyhounds out there who would love to be part of your family.

I agree with your decision. She can't help having a high prey drive, and has been feeling just as much stress as you all have -- someone without any cats will cherish and adore her -- and you will, with the right hound and at the right time, find a greyhound who will be 100% comfortable having kitties around. (My daughter integrated an 8 year old, 25# ginger cat into her household of 4 greyhounds a few months ago and her houndies all think Little Boy is one of the pack -- and better, he thinks so too :)

(edited for a typo)

(Edited again to say -- all that was unnecessary! But I'm so happy for you! Yay!! and I second the pictures request!! :D

Edited by Mom2Shiloh

Guest TeddysMom

I am proud of you and your DH for making a good decision for both Caroline and your kittys. I know it must have been very heartbreaking but now you are giving another greyhound and your cats the very best and Caroline will have a new home without having to be on the hunt all the time. I can't wait to hear about your new girl and see pictures of her and the cats.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest chaoran22

I'm sorry you had to make that decision but I think you made the right one. We have two hounds and a wonderful little cat (order adopted: first hound, then cat, then second hound) and they all get along great so as others have said already, it's totally doable and you will find the right dog for your situation. And don't worry about Caroline, lots of dogs live in multiple homes before finding their forever home and it's totally fine (my second hound was bounced and fostered so she was in 2 homes before ours). And when you find the right hound that works for your family, cats included, you'll feel much better about your decision - I guarantee it. To this day, nothing makes me melt more than seeing my cat snuggled up to one of my hounds, and I know once you experience having all your pets live in harmony, you'll be very glad you returned Caroline, as hard as it may be right now. Your group will find her a lovely home and everyone will be just fine and much happier :)

Guest DoofBert

Thank you for your responses and I know you're all correct. It's pretty hard here to give up hope though.

Yes, we have a supportive adoption group but we have laid low because I guess we knew what we would hear, that the situation probably isn't workable. I suppose we should make this decision before we put more money out for behaviour therapy.

I am abit surprised at how awful the thought of rehoming her makes me feel.In every other way she is fine, obedient, gentle, patient, etc.

Perhaps we will spend some time first looking for a good home for the cats and give ourselves a time limit.

Again, thanks for all the advice. I needed to hear it.

Barb

BArb,

I've been in your shoes and sadly, did not listen to my gut.....and my Lexie cat was sacrificed for my own stubborness. I thought everything could be 'worked out'..... in addition to 'cat tolerance' (I don't believe in 'workable' or 'safe') I didn't look for sign of alpha struggle. Hound in question was clearly in search of the alpha spot (held by lexie Cat). Hound attacked Lexie in a split second and it was too late.

i felt horrible, I felt like a failure, I felt a lot of things. however, said hound ended up with a terrific family with two boys who keep her busy. And we were able to find just the right hound to fit out family!

Stay in touch with your group.

Best wishes ,

Jayne

• 1 month later...
Guest chinamom

Hello Greyt Friends,

I posted almost 8 weeks ago about our high prey hound. Here is an update. Our greyt agency understood the situation and Caroline was welcomed back. Please keep in mind that Caroline was in every other way an awesome little girl and is looking to adopt a cat free family.

Our new girl, Stella was cat tested for us and now has been with us for 6 weeks.

Before Stella, we could not imagine a hound who would not get up in the morning with the agenda to hunt cats all day.

How different could it be? They rub against her, they sit beside when she eats, they rummage through her bed and toys. I wonder how long it will take for us not to be impressed by this?

I must admit though, we'll probably never leave them free alone together when we're out but that works 'cause Stella loves her crate!

Thanks for all your support and Jayne, for sharing your pain.

B.P.