What Could Have Done This?

Guest bigorangedog

OMG! Those are nasty pics. I hope he continues to heal and is back looking good in no time.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Diatomaceous earth (DE) would probably work on brown recluses. It used to be used to worm dogs, so it's safe even for consumption. However, if the spiders aren't on surfaces where the DE lands, they won't be affected- and DE will end up on the ground after a few hours. And since spiders travel on the tips of their legs, they might not get enough.

Pyrethrins are used to get rid of fleas, etc., and are generally considered safe for use around- and on- greyhounds. A yard spray normally used for controlling fleas that contains pyrethrin (usually with the synergist piperonyl butoxide) would probably work. Coverage might be tedious.

However, the experts suggest that the stuff that is most readily available doesn't work on spiders. See also:

http://www.pestproducts.com/spider.htm#SPIDER%20ELIMINATION

Cynoff and Demon WP are cypermethrin- a semi-synthetic pyrethroid, but not something I'd use around dogs without checking it out. Suspend SC is another semi-synthetic pyrethroid, and who only knows if it's safe around dogs.

Arachnids are tough to kill with pesticides. Lots of local places boast they'll get rid of scorpions, but I don't think any will put it in writing.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest Adrianne

Do you have any idea where he was when he was bitten--indoors or outside? Brown recluse spiders are known to be reclusive; they like to hide and try to avoid contact. My son was bit in the middle of the night in bed while he slept. We think he must have rolled over on the spider.

For indoors, you could use traps like the ones found here. I just don't know about outside.

I think about Hammie every day, and I hope he continues to heal.

holy crap that looks painful and horrid. Poor guy...I'm fostering a dachshund who was bit by a cottonmouth snake and although it was extremely swollen it looked nothing like that. geeze, poor guy. thank goodness you are there to help. thank you!

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

oh my freeking God :o :o :o :o You (and Hammie) are handling this WAY better than I ever could!!!! :( :( :(

sending many healing hugs your way!!!! :hope :hope :hope

(and I am NEVER going out in the backyard every again, or the dogs either!!!) :o

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest Energy11

Here are Days 3 & 4 of the spider bite.

28705_1405023679880_1061032718_31132940_2279504_n.jpg

31205_1406054425648_1061032718_31136726_3708841_n.jpg

Last night at bandage change it bled like crazy, which it hasn't been doing before. I think (and my vet agrees) that he was starting to get some new tissue growth going, but I disturbed it when I changed the wrap. I have to take Apollo in for chemo tomorrow, so I'll bring Ham-dog along for a look-see just for the fun of it, but I am pretty sure we are on the right track. No signs of infection yet, and today for the first time he is putting weight on it normally. Just looks super gross.

For those with brown recluse experience -- what dog-safe bug killer can I put in the yard that will annihilate the little ba$t@rds??

Yes, it is NASTY! I have seen these bites on humans! They ARE ugly, and like the "flesh-eating" bacteria.

Here is a website for products we use here and recommend.

Sending lots of hugs!

Poor baby! That looks so sore!

Heal up soon, Hammie!

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest GentleHugs

Good thoughts going to Hammie and I hope his wound heals. It looks nasty but I do see some healing process going on.

My old boy Heisman got bit by a funnel web spider once and it swelled his whole entire leg up. He stepped on the spider's funnel web near the fence as he hiked his leg to go pee. (Guess the spider got pee'd off when he got pee'd on) He got an anti inflammatory shot along with a course of antibiotics. He did ok but the next day after he got the shot - he had to go pee many times and we were under a tornado warning, too. I remember standing at my sliding glass door watching as the tornado turned away a couple of miles from our house and Heisman was waiting to go pee outside. When we got the all clear, I walked him out on lead to go pee. He must have peed for 5 minutes!

Best way to keep spiders out of the yard is to keep your grass cut short, rake up and get rid of all leaves and see if you can find a safe spray.

We have lots of spiders here including black widows, brown recluse, wolf spiders, funnel web spiders, orb weavers of all kinds, garden spiders, jumping spiders, etc. They can be very beneficial for our environment but I'm not a real fan of getting bit by a spider or snake either.

Keep us posted on his progress..... and I'll keep him in my thoughts.

And now that someone mentioned it in Off Topic for a completely different application, neem oil might work on spiders. The local hardware stores have the stuff; cut the grass short, sweep out any webs- use a shopvac to get right down to grass and nothing else- then use a sprayer to throw neem oil anywhere you might find spiders.

It's used to kill spider mites- which are also arachnids, same as brown recluses and other spiders. Problem is, it has to coat the body as it is an asphyxiant. It may have some growth regulator properties, but if the spiders are mature, it won't effect them.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest goofydog

Poor Hammie. I'm very glad you caught this early and treatment started ASAP.

Hijack- in the past week or so a local woman who was bitten on the breast by a brown recluse spent 11 days in a coma and had to have the breast removed. This is a nasty little bugger.

Hijack over

Guest bigorangedog

Yes, it is NASTY! I have seen these bites on humans! They ARE ugly, and like the "flesh-eating" bacteria.

Here is a website for products we use here and recommend.

Sending lots of hugs!

Don't see the website in the post??

Here's last night's shot. Today he is feeling back to normal. Came running in like a freight train from the yard just now.

AND there is a family who is actually considering adopting either him or one of our other harder-to-place boys. I am keeping my fingers crossed for him. I think they will meet him this weekend (wanted to wait until he was feeling like himself).

31205_1407638665253_1061032718_31141365_8313361_n.jpg

Guest IHeartDogs

Oh man, those pics look horrible. I hope he heals up quickly.

I don't know what products to use, but I read that using a trap is the best, but it happened in the yard....So I dunno.

Oh my gosh! That looks really painful. But it also looks like it's starting to heal up. Brown Recluse are a really nasty spider. A friend of mine was bitten a few years ago and her wound looked equally as bad as this and took a long time to heal up. I hope he feels better soon.

Guest greygirls2

Have you considered using the Manuka Honey wound cream on this? It worked miracles on Diamond's open wounds which we tried everything under the sun to heal them for over 3 months. The honey granulated in the wounds to closing in 3 weeks! And she has much less scarring that we thought she would. The honey is a natural antibiotic, disinfectant and keeps the wound moist and viable. Here's the link............. Click here: About Wound Honey if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Guest bigorangedog

Thought I'd give a Hammie update. Here are the Day 6 and Day 7 pics. Doesn't Day 7 look MUCH better? I was very encouraged to see that. Meanwhile, his spirits are great.

Please cross your fingers for him -- On Sunday he will go with 3 other dogs to visit a potential family. The family wants a big boy and wants to give a home to a harder-to-place hound. They are picking between him and a few other cat-eater boys. I like the people and am really hoping that they will FINALLY be the ones to choose Hams. (Although I will be sobbing if he leaves... Sobbing and doing cartwheels.)

31205_1409231465072_1061032718_31145535_4099125_n.jpg

31205_1409233265117_1061032718_31145537_485314_n.jpg

Guest Tenderhearts

BROWN RECLUSE SPIDER bites can do what you are describing!

They ARE TISSUE NECROTIC (***kills the tissue where they bite ***) almost like the "Flesh Eating" thing ....

I'd call the vet and mention this, AND see if the vet doesn't think IV OR IM BENEDRYL is in order ... NOW!

Sending prayers and lots of love, and good luck!

Yep, I have a friend who lost her oldest dog to a brown recluse bite. It was being treated, but he was elderly and not in the best health to begin with.

I had to have a toe amputated due to a brown recluse bite several years ago. I've been bitten three times now.