Dog Has Psych Problems

Guest Tiki98

Guest Tiki98

Up until just recently, our greyhound Lucky was the perfect dog. A couple months ago, I came home to him shakeing, trembling, heart racing, and panting almost violently. We brought him to the vet, who suggested he was having a panic attack, and told us to "take him to do something happy" to get his mind off of what ever was bothering him. After about 6 hours, he finally calmed down. A few night later, the same thing happened again. The "happy outing" idea definetly does not work.

We have a fenced in yard and so we just let him out. However, he absolutely refuses to come back in the house. If he's in the house longer than 2 minutes he freaks out all over again. He refuses to eat unless we make him by standing over his bowl. He has also begun loosing weight. Outside, he digs holes in the woods to hide in and refuses to even acknowledge me when I call him. He constantly cries, has his tail between his legs, and won't even take treats any more. He doesn't always sleep through the night either and at 2 and 3 a.m. will cry at the door shaking and heart racing because he's afraid to be in the house. These episodes last hours.

I'm home with him for most of the day, and he's almost never alone, so I have no idea of anything that could have scared him. It's as if he's been in a constant panic attack for 2 months now. He does have Lymes Disease. Could that affect his brain or something? The vet tested his blood and urine: all fine. I just have a dog with psychological problems...

Any ideas?

Sounds like you might get a second opinion....if this has been going on for several months, this hound needs help. Constant stress is not good. :(

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart

Guest SusanP

I'm with NevadasMom. It's time to find a vet who will take this seriously. Ideally he'd have a thorough checkup to rule out physical causes, but if it is an anxiety problem, there are medications that can help. You may have to do some detective work at home, too--is there one room or time of day when he is most fearful? It sounds like he's afraid outside, too, if he's hiding in holes in the woods. Has he ever shown a tendency to being fearful of anything? Loud noises, etc?? If you were to take him away from home for a day or so, maybe on a little trip over the weekend, you might be able to find out if it's something specific to your house or not.

Agree with the above, he needs to see a vet who takes this more seriously.

A dog doesn't just all of a sudden for no reason display what you've described.

And if it's not something that really scared him, there's something not right medically.

Good luck, I hope you get some answers for him soon

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

We went through something similar. In our case, we had noticed that the episodes would start on days when there was thunder and storms. But then the stress and panic would last for days afterwards. He would hide in our closet, wouldn't want to go outside, wouldn't eat etc. Then it started happening without any storms, seemingly randomly... he was not a happy dog, at all.

We ended up putting him on xanax. His thyroid T4 was also low and so we added thyroid supplement a few months in (I forget the exact turn of events)... the combination of both had him almost close to as normal as he'd been in a while.

With us, he ended up having hemangiosarcoma a few months later - I don't think that was related to his anxiety, but I do believe it was why his thyroid was low.

I would do a full medical work up, just in case. If it all comes back clear, there are a lot of good anti-anxiety meds available.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

I've read of cases of dogs becoming aggressive (relatively rare) when infected with lyme disease but not fearful. That said I've no personal experience and haven't done much reading on lyme disease. Are you familiar with the Tick List? TICK L That should be an excellent resource for anyone with a dog battling a tick borne illness. I agree with the others about getting another opinion re: this change in behavior.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Yes, Lyme disease can cause rare neurological problems see below "Lyme Disease Symptoms.

If it was my dog I'd be using Calming Signals whenever I could (Google the article on Turid Rugass's website). I'd also make sure the dog did acutually have a cosy safe place to retreat to like a blanket covered crate in a closet. I'd also keep seeing the vet until a diagnosis was made.

"In dogs, Lyme disease produces symptoms characterized by arthritis, though it can sometimes involve heart, nervous system and the kidneys. The arthritic joints may become swollen and hot, and there may be a fever (102 to 105 degrees) and poor appetite. Dogs may also become lame because of the disease. This painful lameness often appears suddenly and may shift from one leg to another. If untreated, it may eventually disappear, only to recur weeks or months later. The glands (lymph nodes) of the dog may also be swollen.

Are you near anyplace that puts out regularly/irregular noises? Train tracks? An airfield? A fire station? Noises that you've learned to tune out, but that Lucky is hearing?

I'm putting in a link to a friend's blog. That link goes to posts about Jen's dog, Reagan, who's having what may be similar episodes. A couple of the blog posts mention Mutt Muffs--ear muffs for dogs.

Jen also is here on Greytalk, and I'll send a link from this thread to her. Jen's Reagan also was fine--until recently.

Good luck.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Definitely get a second opinion from a different vet, including a complete physical. make sure they do a *complete* thyroid panel and not just the customary one (which won't tell you much you need to know for a greyhound).

Yo can also go to the Training and Behavior section and search out threads on anxiety, separation anxiety, thunderstorm phobia, for other suggestions. In the meantime, keep a log of your dogs day to try and pin down what, where, or who might be triggering his attacks.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Whereabouts do you live?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Tiki98

Are you near anyplace that puts out regularly/irregular noises? Train tracks? An airfield? A fire station? Noises that you've learned to tune out, but that Lucky is hearing?

I'm putting in a link to a friend's blog. That link goes to posts about Jen's dog, Reagan, who's having what may be similar episodes. A couple of the blog posts mention Mutt Muffs--ear muffs for dogs.

Jen also is here on Greytalk, and I'll send a link from this thread to her. Jen's Reagan also was fine--until recently.

Good luck.

I really don't think it has anythng to do with noises. He's been through thunder storms, been around lawn mowers, and plenty of other noises and they never seemed to bothered him. At least not in any way characteristic to the way he is acting right now. He just has this geneneral, all around constant anxiety.

Also, in reposnse to another post regarding having a safe, cozy place for him to hide inside; I can't get him to stay in the house. He will cry and bark at the door shaking for hours until I let him out. If he ever does give up, it's only from sheer exhaustion on his part. The only place he will hide is in one of his holes in the yard, and it's next to impossible at times to get him up or back in.

Edited by Tiki98

Guest MyBoys

I agree with everyone else, he needs to see a vet who will take this more serious. Something is wrong which is causing him much stress. Poor guy needs help.

Please keep us updated, okay? First of all, we care! Secondly, sharing your experience and what you find out may help other greyhounds just as their experiences will, hopefully, help you and yours.

I know how much this has to be bothering you and Lucky too! blink.gif Hoping you get some answers and relief soon.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Where are you located?

How long have you had him?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest NeverSayNever

Oh, I feel your pain! My greyhound, Reagan, just turned 3 years old and phobias are running our lives. I have had her since she was 10 months old, straight off the farm. I trained her for agility and obedience... competed her a few times. I have/had very talented greyhounds before.... still #1 and #2 lifetime achiever greyhounds in AKC agility... but Reagan was really going to be special... superstar potential. Unfortunately, I think she is headed for early retirement because we cannot avoid her phobic triggers... they are everywhere. Her phobia has to do with motors and engines. It started with trains, but now includes an endless list and we are surrounded everywhere we go. Knock on wood, she still considers home safe and the backyard safe 90% of the time.

Unfortunately, phobias tend to get worse with more exposure... they don't get better over time. There has to be something in your house triggering it. While my dog seems affected by low rumbles and low frequency sounds..... many dogs are actually phobic of chirping or high pitched sounds. I know of a dog that started a phobia with a barely audible beep caused by a smoke dector low on batteries. But cell phones, microwaves, clocks, squirrels, birds, etc. Also might be a smell. A certain cleaner being used. But you really need to try and pinpoint the trigger and see if its something you can remove. Is there a room he is worse in? It has to be something not on your radar, something you just ignore.

I consulted with Tufts University, an expert in behavior. They have a Pet Fax consultation that you can do over the phone and email. You are paired with a behaviorist you can touch base with for the next 6 months. It cost $250 which I felt was reasonable. The behaviorist has you answer a very detailed questionnaire, they give you suggestions, and drug recommendations.... I really think your greyhound needs drugs. My behaviorist has been very responsive to my emails.

There are background and foreground drugs. Background drugs are things like Prozac or Buspar that are given daily and help take the edge off. Unfortunately, they take 1-2 months to even see if they make a difference. Reagan just completed 2 months of Prozac and it did not help. We will try Buspar next. In the meanwhile, you can use something like Xanax or a beta blocker to help alleviate anxiety immediately. I'm just telling you what was suggested for Reagan, but Tufts can recommend based on what they have seen help dogs in your situation. You might try melatonin... that's at least something you can buy today at a drugstore.

I'm really sorry to hear that your greyhound is phobic of something in your home. That is a tough one. Good luck.

There has to be something in your house triggering it.

That is what I am thinking, too, and why I was asking where you are.

I have one who is terrified of beeping noises -- all except the microwave. Truck outside beeps? Eek. Smoke alarm beeps? Even once, like when you test the batteries? We are in for hours of a disturbed dog. Something on TV beeps? Boy leaves the room as if from the starting box and won't come back in.

Then there are the smells. One of my dogs didn't care at all about the noise of firecrackers going off in the neighborhood; it was the smell that got to him.

And then there are Events, such as a big tree limb coming down. Dog who witnessed that (actually occurred outside our yard, a fair distance from the fence) took @ a week to get comfortable in the yard again. Except when weather conditions are the same as they were that day. Then he'll start out the door, decide it isn't a good idea, and come racing back in, tail tucked.

Any changes in home heating/cooling system, different refrigerator noises, paint smells, chipmunk in the walls, construction in the neighborhood, neighbor running a sprinkler system -- all those things can make noises and smells that might set a dog off.

Ceiling fans are a big offender as well.

Wouldn't hurt to check vision and hearing if that hasn't been done.

Best luck finding the problem and finding something to help him get over his fear.

Jet is totally off the wall 20% of the time. The other 80% he is waiting for the sky to fall. We have him mostly figured out and can control his "odd" needs. Lately the kids next door are playing basketball indoors, this has made for a very unhappy Jet since he hates being outside too. Melatonin is our best friend if it gets too bad.

Reading Batmom's post reminds me that Jake who is very stable absolutely hates beeping noises. If we have a missed call or the batteries are going on cell phone he wants outside NOW! He then stands and glares at the house. Will not come back in and will actually run away from me it I go out to get him. Funny thing is he isn't scared of the microwave beeping either.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest GentleHugs

I am in agreement - the poor guy needs to see a vet to get a full medical evaluation and blood workup on him as soon as possible. He's exhibiting fear behavior and something has triggered it recently - whether its pain of some sort or truly a mental issue. What he is doing is not normal by any means.

In the meantime, I would journal everything from as far as back as you can remember when he first started acting this way. Any sounds, smells, changes - even as subtle as we might think they are could be a trigger for him to panic. Journal as much as you can until you get him in to see a veterinarian.

I have a little girl that has a lot of mental behavioral issues along with some health issues and my veterinarian said the one thing that has helped in diagnosing her with her behavior issues were my journal notes (aside from an extensive in home behavioral consult).

Anyway, in the meantime, I will keep him in my thoughts and prayers. It sounds like this boy really needs some professional help.

I agree that this is extreme. Do you have a large veterinary school near you? They often have at least one vet who does nothing but behaviour issues. This vet may be able to come to your house and help you figure out what is going on. My guess is that anti-anxiety meds will be prescribed (after a complete medical checkup of course). If you can't find a well-qualified local vet, the Tufts program sounds good.

I have heard of neurological problems with Lyme disease but if I remember correctly, they manifest in a physical way, not behaviour. It would be worth checking with a vet who specializes in tick borne diseases.

That must be terrible for both you and the hound. Can you take him away for a day and spend some time in someone else's house to see if it is just your house/neighbourhood that is the problem. If he would settle in the car or away from home at least you would know better where to start looking for the cause.

Sue from England

Guest Stripeyfan

I agree with seeing a different vet. You need to make sure this isn't being caused by something physical before going down the psych route. Stress can be an indicator of pain. Hugs and hope you can get this sorted out!

Guest ss556

I can't offer any advice, but this sounds terrible. I hope you continue to post here and I am wishing you the best of luck.

Guest Swifthounds

I may have missed one of the OP's posts, but how old is this dog, when were last vaccinations, and how has the Lyme been treated?

I personally have a hound that is wind phobic. Around 4 or 5 years ago, he suddenly began exhibiting anxiety (pacing, panting, drooling, etc.) whenever the wind kicked up (whether with a thunderstorm, with a storm approaching, or with no precipitation). He would hide in a crate and shake. When he eventually had to go outside, he would got out with everyone and refuse to come back inside. In 35 degree weather he stayed out there for 45 minutes until I went outside, picked him up (no easy feat at 80 lbs of hound)and brought him in. He was better, calmer, etc. outside than inside.

There was a time I wasn't sure he would be with us this long. I've changed a lot of things in the household and he's manageable now. No more long periods outside for him. I didn't give up when the vet was stymied. He had good bloodwork and UA, he was negative for TBD. I changed his diet, added some supplements, and worked with the behavior. He still prefers to be in a crate in high winds and storms, but it 90% better now.

I do say often how the switch to raw benefited my entire pack, even those who already looked very good, but for Comet it really was a lifesaver.

I'm so sorry you both are going through this. It must be so scary for your dog, and so frustrating for you.

I agree with others who suggest a full work-up with a different vet, and to do a diary of what happens when.

That being said, step back and assume that your dog is "telling you the truth." Assume that there is some real issue inside the house and that your dog is acting rationally, and that it's not a phobia (which is, by definition, an irrational fear).

What, if anything, has changed in your home? Have you moved? Have you replaced the carpeting, painted the walls, added a ceiling fan? Have you had an exterminator or lawn treatment (unlikely) come in? Have you changed what you feed the dog, or give as treats or supplements? New people in your home? New animals? New piece of furniture?

Unless there is a strong, new environmental trigger, it does seem like a phobia. You may need to diary when behavior is normal to get a full picture of what might be going on.

Please keep us posted. Good luck,

Donna

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04