Teddys At The Vet

Guest TeddysMom

Guest TeddysMom

DH was trying to help me this morning which seldomn turns out well :angry: He got up really early, let Teddy, Spencer and several other dogs out in the back yard unattended, bad move!!

Teddy is now at the vet getting cleaned up and stitched, he has a pretty bad gash on the inside of his back leg and several bite wounds. Spencer has a superficial wound above his eye and one on his cheek but nothing serious. What a horrible way to wake up, hearing one of your babies screaming. By the time I ran out the back door Teddy was running away from the rest of the dogs, I called him and he ran straight to me, thankfully he is faster than the other dogs. I grabbed him up, got him in the bathtub, once I started rinsing him off, I realized he needed the vet. Carried him to the car, called and told them we were on our way, it is a good thing I sleep in clothes that don't look too much like PJs. After all these years in rescue, you would think that DH would learn that you can't just open up the crates and let everyone out. Spencer has only been here a week for crying out loud, he is never allowed out without me being right with him and then only with a couple of dogs I trust. I am ready to throttle DH I am so mad, why can't he just THINK :angryfire .

Please do not beat yourself or your husband. He is on a husband learning curve.

Oh, and welcome to the world of greyhounds. I'm sure many of us have a similar tale to tell. Hope the boys get put back together OK. :bighug

Just wondering if you have enough muzzles for the greyhounds? They save so much on the vet bill. If not let me know and I can put some gently used ones in the mail to you. Do you need any poop cups?? We are in Tennessee and the greyhounds all wear them to protect nature. We had one eat a lizard and we think it caused a seizure. No Lizards in their diet.

Edited by Tallgreydogmom

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Guest Energy11

Yep... we go out with all of ours too. DH KNOWS better not to let them out without him being out there. Even at our rental in NY State, he was with them, while I visited Dad and then, Mom ... he knew. He doesn't want to be on the "wrong side" of me, especially when it comes to my dogs.

I am sure your DH feels very badly, and it won't happen again. Sending prayers for the puppers!

Yes, stuff does happensad.gif My DH says I worry too much, like putting all the chairs in front of the doors at the motels during our trip ... hey, it only take a split second for one to get out!

Guest TeddysMom

Just wondering if you have enough muzzles for the greyhounds? They save so much on the vet bill. If not let me know and I can put some gently used ones in the mail to you. Do you need any poop cups?? We are in Tennessee and the greyhounds all wear them to protect nature. We had one eat a lizard and we think it caused a seizure. No Lizards in their diet.

Thank you so much.

I have muzzles for Spice, Mandy and Spencer, they are use to wearing them but Teddy was raised in a pet environment and fights the muzzle tooth and nail. He basicly "flips out" when I get the muzzle on him, he is a food hound and nothing gets his attention away from getting that thing off his face. I'm more afraid that he is going to injury himself trying to get it off than not putting it on. The other dogs in my pack are not greys and have never worm muzzles, I am just very careful who I let out together and I am with them. DH is in a wheelchair and no way is he able to go out with the dogs to keep things under control. I am getting paranoid about ever leaving the house because I come home to the dogs being out of their crates after telling him not to let any of the dogs out while I'm gone. I am beginning to wonder if DH is getting senile which is very scary in itself. I did a CUR run last week and was gone 4 hours, I came home to all the dogs out of their crates, the back door open and DH asleep in his bedroom with the door shut and TV on. :headwall I shudder to think what they could have gotten into. I am seriously thinking of getting paddlocks for the crates and taking the keys with me. Thank God he can't get into the kennel room where all the foster dogs are crated. Sorry, I got off on a rant. I am just really upset. If they had turned on one of my old dogs, they would have killed them.

Guest mcsheltie

How is Teddy?

About your DH... mine is young (well relatively :lol ) I can't trust him to remember anything. I tell him So-And-So can't be trusted on the living room carpet. I turn around and guess where So-And-So is... Makes me want to pull my hair out. All I hear is sorry... I didn't mean to... BAH!!!!!

Do you have someone that can stay at the house with your husband while you are away. Or always take your husband with you. Sorry, I took care of my husband's Uncle and took him everywhere I went sometimes. It was safer that way if I couldn't get a companion. I taught night school and he came to class with me.

He actually liked going and people always fussed over him. Or he took a long nap.

Is there a senior service in your area or some senior care you can get? I can't think of the term - home health aide. I did take my Aunt to day care to give my Uncle some relief before he also needed help.

Edited by Tallgreydogmom

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Guest TeddysMom

Do you have someone that can stay at the house with your husband while you are away. Or always take your husband with you. Sorry, I took care of my husband's Uncle and took him everywhere I went sometimes. It was safer that way if I couldn't get a companion. I taught night school and he came to class with me.

He actually liked going and people always fussed over him. Or he took a long nap.

Is there a senior service in your area or some senior care you can get? I can't think of the term - home health aide. I did take my Aunt to day care to give my Uncle some relief before he also needed help.

DH never will go because he is a TV addict and doesn't want to leave the TV so taking him is not an option. What bothers me is that he seems pretty lucid and normal but maybe I am missing some sign. On a better note, I just heard from my friend who is at the vets with one of her cats, she checked on Teddy for me and he came through the surgery fine and I can pick him up about 4 pm. I am going to wait until DH is asleep for the night, all the dogs are crated and sneak off to Walmart to get the padlocks for all the crates. Foster dogs are all going to be moved ASAP and I am going to have to make some lifestyle changes otherwise I feel something really worse is going to happen. Please keep us all in your thoughts and prayers.

Hugs to you and Teddy. You're in a really tough spot right now with DH and dogs. Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.

26 dogs in crates with locks? I wouldn't do that. What happens in an emergency?

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Please know we are here to support you the best we can. I certainly understand your situation. Do check around for information on senior services. Just so you know what is available when you do need them. Do the legwork now. Been there myself.

Hugs to Teddy. I'm glad you have a reliable vet close by.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

(Persian Proverb)

Guest TeddysMom

26 dogs in crates with locks? I wouldn't do that. What happens in an emergency?

Only 6 crates that he can get too and only 3 dogs that I won't trust out with the others. The alternative is worse, a pack fight where one or more of my kids is hurt or killed. The risk of a fire is less than an incident by letting the dogs out together without supervision. I'm just not going to be able to go anywhere except the store for a few minutes unless DH goes with me or hire a sitter.

Guest TeddysMom

Teddy is home and in his crate with a nice soft mattress. He has 80 stitches but the vets did a really nice job so for that I am thankful. No bandages but he has to wear a E-collar when I can't be there to watch him. He will be on pain meds for 7 days and antibiotics for 2 weeks, he is pretty sleepy now and is resting. My heart just hurts for him, he is such a good boy.

Guest LindsaySF

Poor Teddy. :( I hope he feels better soon.

My family doesn't always supervise the dogs out in the yard like I do, but I believe I have 'trained' them well that the muzzles must go on before anyone is let outside. I have all the muzzles labeled as well, because they always forget which one goes to which dog. I know you said Teddy doesn't like his muzzle, but that doesn't mean you can't muzzle the others. Also, most non-Greys can get used to wearing muzzles with enough positive exposure to them. If they absolutely refuse, then I would turn them out separately.

With the number of dogs you have, and no one to help you, I would look into getting a home aid person to help with your DH, or someone to help you (at least part-time) with the dogs. How many foster dogs do you have? Is it possible for them to move on to another foster home to lessen your load a bit?

~Lindsay~

Guest TeddysMom

Poor Teddy. :( I hope he feels better soon.

My family doesn't always supervise the dogs out in the yard like I do, but I believe I have 'trained' them well that the muzzles must go on before anyone is let outside. I have all the muzzles labeled as well, because they always forget which one goes to which dog. I know you said Teddy doesn't like his muzzle, but that doesn't mean you can't muzzle the others. Also, most non-Greys can get used to wearing muzzles with enough positive exposure to them. If they absolutely refuse, then I would turn them out separately.

With the number of dogs you have, and no one to help you, I would look into getting a home aid person to help with your DH, or someone to help you (at least part-time) with the dogs. How many foster dogs do you have? Is it possible for them to move on to another foster home to lessen your load a bit?

~Lindsay~

The foster dogs are in the process of being moved so that will be one thing off my mind. I do let my dogs out with no more than 4 or 5 at a time and I know which ones go out with which other ones. I go out with them unless there are only a couple that I know won't be a problem and then only if I can see them out the window. Most of my dogs are really old so it is not an issue with them. I let the greys out 2 at a time, Teddy and Spice then Spencer and Mandy. Teddy is very non aggressive and can go out with a couple of the older dogs but Spencer hasn't been here long enough for me to really know him yet so he is never outside without me. DH has always been supportive of me, of rescue and has always loved the dogs, he never would have done this a year ago. That is why it has got me baffled, I worry about my babies but I worry about DH too. Maybe I should never have said anything, I guess I was just looking for some encouragment. I will get through this.

Hang in there. I almost ended up in the hospital myself until I got a handle on the situation. Do get enough rest and take care of yourself. Love on the dogs. Remember, Teddy might look bad now, but he will heal.

Hugs

Vallerysiggy.jpg

(Persian Proverb)

Really hope your Teddy makes a nice recovery.

I have known muzzle resisters as well. I put the muzzles on anyways. First squirrel or chase game, they forget it's on.

Hugs and best luck.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest PhillyPups

Hugs to Teddy and prayers for fast healing.

I think everyone here is giving supportive advice to help you in a tough situation between your husband's abilities and the dogs safety.

Personally, I would be afraid to put a lock on a crate with a dog in it for the dog's safety.

Moving the fosters would help reduce the number. Myself, that is what I would be looking to do. I would also not bring any more in, but that is me.

All the dogs will get used to muzzles in time. Try putting some peanut butter inside the end of Teddy's muzzle in an area where he is alone (so no other dogs try to get it) and see how quickly he will like it. :lol

Good luck and prayers for a fast healing for Teddy.

Guest TeddysMom

How is Teddy doing today? :hope

Thank you for asking PhillyPups. Overnight Teddy lost his limp, head down, barely being able to walk mode. This morning he was up waiting for me, head up, no more limping, putting full weight on his leg. He was even pulling wanting to go for a longer walk. I am amazed, I guess he is a pretty tough little character. It is a relief.

The foster dogs are being moved and until we get to the bottom of DH's problem, no new dogs will come in.

Edited by TeddysMom