Lethargic Greyhound

Hi All,

Zero's daddy here. Zero turned 6 on April 14th :-)

Has anyone run into this? Zero was acting very lethargic on his walks during Winter time, lagging behind me a whole leash length (6'), but I just kept up the pace. Our walks are generally a mile or so, once in the morning, lunch time on Mondays & Wednesdays and evenings. I thought he was lagging behind because he didn't like the cold weather. He got back to his normal self when the weather started getting better (Spring), but now he's starting to lag way behind again, not really showing any enthusiasm. In the house he seems to be somewhat lethargic, but way more-so on walks. He's eating well (Purina Pro Plan Sensative Skin & Stomach), drinking well, peeing & pooing ok. His nose is cold and drippy, but it always is. Any suggestions? Is this just how some greys are? Help. I'm very conserned about my baby.

DSC00289Medium.jpg

Edited by aryon92

Image removed, not within the GreyTalk signature guidelines of <15 KB file size limit. The image removed was 29.08 KB (29,782 bytes) file size.

I'd have a vet look him over. Run a blood panel to see if anything is up with him. Most of mine are lazy but at least once a day they're outside doing zoomies around the yard.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Shane behaves much like yours on walks, some days worse than others. Also the drippy nose, and sometimes showing pain by standing in the house, not able to lie down, panting or breathing fast, and sometimes a high heart rate. He has several issues, including malformation of his paws and mildly elevated kidney values, and possibly arthritis.

He was recently diagnosed and treated for a TBD, Babesia canis. Then he developed a bladder problem, so it has been hard to tell, but his stamina for walking seems to have improved. Last week he did a two-mile walk!

Not knowing what the problem was three years ago, I asked the vet how to respond to his holding back or stopping on walks. She said, "If he stops, go home." We got to where we pretty much go home when his dragging becomes noticeable. Some days that's immediately; then we go the two blocks it takes him to be ready to poop, and then we go home.

Please keep us posted as you try to figure this out. I will just add that having had him for almost 4 years now, I only recently became aware of how "well" this dog takes pain and how well he hides that he is having it at all. (We'd always thought he was kind of a meek little softy.) I'd recommend against regarding this as a behavioral issue.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

When was his last vet visit and blood work up?

Last vet visit was February? But no blood work was done. I'm making an appointment for him now. The liver thing has me really concerned, I hope he's ok. I have an appointment for 10:20am tomorrow morning.

Image removed, not within the GreyTalk signature guidelines of <15 KB file size limit. The image removed was 29.08 KB (29,782 bytes) file size.

See a vet.

Unfortunately I had that once before with my 5 year old Topaz.

She never made it to 6. She had liver disese.

I hope it's nothing. But only a vet can tell you that.

Good God, I hope that's not the case. Not exactly what I wanted to hear. We're going for a vet appointment tomorrow.

Guest AmandaTolleson

Yes see a vet. Not to scare you but whenever Lucy would regress to this it was either lead up to and recovering from liver failure or osteo... It could be nothing though! But I would get him checked up just in case.

Another thing. If bloodwork comes back normal and there's no diagnosis, the liver enzyme tests which are part of standard chemistries, does not pick up all liver disease. Ask for a liver function test.

I wish I had the year before when I was first concerned about my Topaz.

If everything is still normal........do an ultrasound.

Hoping for the best for Zero. Update when you can.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest happygrey

hi Zero's Dad! I think we've met on a GA walk or two. :colgate

I would consider having him tested for all tick-borne illnesses. Lethargy is quite a common symptom to many of them.

Hope Zero is feeling better soon! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Zero is doing fine. Blood work came back normal. Liver was very slightly elevated, but the doctor said no cause for concern. She is a grey friendly doctor. I honestly think some days he's just a little lazier than others and lags back in his walking. He's six now and the doctor suggested perhaps a "good" quality glucosamine or aspirin a day because Zero is a little stiff in his back legs. I haven't given him anything and he seems to be doing just fine.

Thanks for your concern.

-T

Hi All,

Zero is doing fine. Blood work came back normal. Liver was very slightly elevated, but the doctor said no cause for concern. She is a grey friendly doctor. I honestly think some days he's just a little lazier than others and lags back in his walking. He's six now and the doctor suggested perhaps a "good" quality glucosamine or aspirin a day because Zero is a little stiff in his back legs. I haven't given him anything and he seems to be doing just fine.

Thanks for your concern.

-T

Please keep an eye on his liver enzyme, watch for weight loss and/or sudden decrease in appetite. If this happens, I would definately get back to your vet. I just went through this with my Ali.

Quick check of the pads of the feet to look for corns may be in order.

That's what happened to Rita; started lagging and then I found the corn at the vet visit. The vet should have paid me for the diagnosis.:P

I'm glad to hear Zero is alright. I was wondering how he was doing.

Jodie D (hope to have another grey name her soon)
Missing my Bridge Babies:
Rusty (Cut a Rusty) 10/18/95-06/09/09
Solo (Tali Solo Nino) 01/10/98-03/25/10
Franny (Frohmader) 02/28/04-08/31/17