Question From Cofax

Hi everyone. I am asking a question for Cofax....... she likes to go downstairs with us when we watch movies, etc. If they have to take her right front leg - will she be able to do a full set of stairs? Goofy hubby said do they have those chair masters for dogs like they do for people who can't do stairs?? We're all trying to keep some kind of sense of humor.......

Cofax even roached today for the first time in over a week! Thank you everyone for all your thoughts wishes and prayers - they must be working.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Absolutely!

Amputation will bother YOU way more than her.

Dr. Couto has a video of a hound named Boscha hopping up and down stairs not long after an amputation!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Jan, what's up with Cofax? Cosmo was going up and down our staircase (13 steps) a week after her surgery, much sooner than she was supposed to. What I wished we would have done with our stairs is put carpet treads on them; she did slip a few times and I'm pretty sure it was because our wood stairs were somewhat slick. My other recommendation is never to let her do the stairs unless you are there to supervise. If I can help with anything, especially since we went down this road last year, please let me know.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Polli did down OK but triped once going up so we carried her up for 5 months!

Is there any reason that Tina can't come on GT anymore?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

It depends.

How does she handle stairs now? If she has no problems especially with her back legs, then she should be okay. But if she has difficulty now, she may have a lot harder time and may not want to do them. However, you can put a harness on her and hold her like she's a suitcase and just support her going up and down all the time. You're not carrying her, but you are making sure she doesn't have an accident.

My Diamond had trouble doing the stairs before she lost her leg. So I built a ramp for her to go outside. She can come up stairs, even jump into my SUV, which is very high. But going down, I always help her.

Cofax,

your cousins and I are holding you very close in our hearts. You just be ready for the huge hug I have for you when I get there

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Cofax,

your cousins and I are holding you very close in our hearts. You just be ready for the huge hug I have for you when I get there

Give her one for me too, OK?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Cofax,

Give her one for me too, OK?

You bet I will Ducky. After I stop and pick up a little girl I know ;)

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

Tina and Bob have decided on amputation and if no complications, the surgery will be on Tuesday.

Please keep this very special girl and her family in your prayers

:candle

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Cofaxroach.jpg

Cofax, you are so beautiful. We are keeping you close and in our prayers for an uneventful surgery and a thorough recovery.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

From Tina:

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!! I sent those to Bob.... I think he needs more confidence than us girls. I have some photos if anyone would like to see her roaching today.... I'll post them up on my website http://3nofleas.webs.com/apps/photos/

Would you let Tina and Bob know, just for extra support, that my Diamond had her leg amputated just 2 weeks shy of her 12th BD. She's going on 6 months post amp now. And even if I lose her tomorrow, it was a very high quality of life for her so far.

Good Luck Cofax!

From Tina:

Thank you everyone........... you are all the wind beneath our wings and hopefully we can fly through this tough venture with positive results.

Dear Friends, Questions have come up that those of you who, unfortunately have also walked this path, may be able to shed light on. Cofax is having her surgery on Tuesday. Thanks again everyone….. If someone has some family hints and suggestions that I missed – would love to hear them too.

If she's on the sofa or bed (half asleep), etc and rolls over to put her paws down and off – will she forget she doesn't have that side to assist her with and fall off?

Will a body harness not be useful anymore? She does spins and slips out of collars (and harnesses but so far Mom's been faster)?

How long is recuperation – stitches, etc. ?

At what point after surgery can she be left alone at home for at least short periods of time?

Post-surgery medications?

Guest bigorangedog

If you haven't already, have them look at my "What to Expect with a Leg Amputation" page on my blog (link in my sig). Also, have them look at the video of Apollo running at the end of the "Struggling With Whitey" thread here in H&M for inspiration.

As for the sofa question - she may well do that right ta the beginning, but she will adjust.

The harness will be useful, but you may ask somebody (like 2HoundsDesign) to make a special one for her that takes the leg into account. There's a link on my blog to an assistance harness as well that they may want during recovery.

The first 2 weeks are the hardest. Every dog is different. Whitey DID NOT WANT to walk for a good week - we carried him for any distances more than a few feet. Apollo walked out of the clinic under his own power the day after surgery. If no infection, staples come out 2-3 weeks after surgery.

Leaving her alone - totally depends on how her recovery is going. At least not for a few days after she comes home. If you must leave her alone, put her in a place where she can't go very far and where she can't hurt herself. Maybe x-pen her into an area lined with blankets or something. Or get a friend to sit with her.

For post-surgery meds, she should have Aminocaprioc acid, some pain meds (depends on the vet, but what worked for us was Deramaxx, Tramadol and Gabapentin), and potentially an antibiotic (although they should give her a shot of long-acting antibiotic during surgery). Also start on Artemisinin and some joint supplements!

Please do check out my blog page, though -- it'll probably help them. Feel free to PM me with any Qs!!

Jen

Dear Friends, Questions have come up that those of you who, unfortunately have also walked this path, may be able to shed light on. Cofax is having her surgery on Tuesday. Thanks again everyone….. If someone has some family hints and suggestions that I missed – would love to hear them too.

If she's on the sofa or bed (half asleep), etc and rolls over to put her paws down and off – will she forget she doesn't have that side to assist her with and fall off?

Will a body harness not be useful anymore? She does spins and slips out of collars (and harnesses but so far Mom's been faster)?

How long is recuperation – stitches, etc. ?

At what point after surgery can she be left alone at home for at least short periods of time?

Post-surgery medications?