Red Feet Due To Allergies

Guest argolola

Guest argolola

Rudy's red feet are getting worse. The vet says it's due to allergies. We have given him Benadryl tablets and also cream but no better. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Try Chlortrimeton tablets. IMO way better for skin issues than Benedryl. For my 80lb hound I give #2 4mg tablets 2-3 times a day. Just take note not to buy the tablets that have "D" in the label--just plain chlortrimeton. The generic works well.

Guest krystolla

Have you had allergy tests done? I had a kitty with allergies that got progressively worse, we were doing steroid shots every few months and she was still covered in bald spots. When we did the allergy blood test we found out she was allergic to everything but trees. :huh Allergy shots did the trick for her, it was pricey but worth it.

Try wiping his feet when he comes back in the house. :dunno

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Betsy had this problem last year. Benadryl didn't work, but Reactine did. Not sure what the brand name is in the US, but the generic is cetirizine hydrochloride. I think we used 5 mg 2X/day, but I'm not sure, so you should check the dosage with your vet.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Keep a bucket of water outside the door and wash his feet off every time he goes outside. That will get the pollen and stuff off his feet. You may have to keep him on Benadryl all spring and summer. I give Gee 75 mg. twice a day during pollen season. If that doesn't work I up it to 100 mg. but no more than that.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest argolola

Thanks everyone for the great information. I don't think I am giving him enough. I give two 25 mg capsules once a day. I do wipe both pups feet with sensitive skin baby wipes when they come in the house.

Thanks everyone for the great information. I don't think I am giving him enough. I give two 25 mg capsules once a day. I do wipe both pups feet with sensitive skin baby wipes when they come in the house.

Wayne has allergies pretty bad in the summer time, my vet has him on 100mg 3x a day and he weighs 74lbs.

According to my vet, Benadryl is most often under dosed and that's why we think it's not working.

The increased dose for Wayne had his allergies totally under control.

Feel better Rudy

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

What if baby wipes are what he's allergic to?

They're meant for cleaning dirty baby butts, not dog paws! From what I understand, they're basically covered with baby oil, right?

I'd use a a soft cloth and water.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Did this just start, or has he always had them?

Red feet could be an environmental allergy but could also be a food allergy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.