8 Teeth Pulled, Update #1

Foster Curry go 8 teeth pulled yesterday. :eek

she drinking fine, and is telling me she is hungry, so far has not eaten anything. I'm offering her all soft foods,, watered down kibble, satin balls.

How long until she will wait to eat something?

I was hoping the satin balls would work for her. That was going to be my secret weapon in getting pills down her.

So that's my second question. how do i get pills in her?

She is an outdoor, never been handled much, girl. She usually is nippy to the point of biting when I try to handle any part of her too much! :unsure

can't imagine trying to shove pills or satin balls down her throat like i can do with my boys.

thanks for your help!

foster mom ~ in a dilemma

Satin balls have won out over sore teeth!!! :P

pills hidden inside,, down the gullet!

foster mom ~ very happy

Edited by 3DogNite

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Ice cream and cream cheese has always worked for us. Poor little doll, she's probably sore and hopefully she'll be ready to eat today

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest argolola

I put pills in a small spoonful of peanut butter. Also, we have had wonderful results with vanilla Ensure when ours have not wanted to eat.

God bless.

Guest Energy11

Sorry to hear she is feeling badly!

A sore mouth is tough! I agree with Claudia on the ice cream and cream cheese. Might also want to try flavored yogurt? You can grind up the pills and hide them in any of the above foods. All this cold stuff will make her mouth feel better too!

Sending lots of love!

Guest MyBoys

My bridge boy Rembrandt had many teeth out at different times, he had an ongoing problem, the last time he had 11 pulled at one time and all he had left were 2 teeth, what I did for the first couple of days was put chicken and rice in my blender with some water, I made it so he could just sort of lap it up which he did with no problem. As for pills, I use the Greenie's brand pill pockets, they are very soft and the dogs seem to really like them. I hope Curry is feeling better very soon, it took my Rembrandt a few days to bounce back.

Foster Curry go 8 teeth pulled yesterday. :eek

she drinking fine, and is telling me she is hungry, so far has not eaten anything. I'm offering her all soft foods,, watered down kibble, satin balls.

How long until she will wait to eat something?

I was hoping the satin balls would work for her. That was going to be my secret weapon in getting pills down her.

So that's my second question. how do i get pills in her?

She seems to do fine with this.

She is an outdoor, never been handled much, girl. She usually is nippy to the point of biting when I try to handle any part of her too much! :unsure

can't imagine trying to shove pills or satin balls down her throat like i can do with my boys.

thanks for your help!

foster mom ~ in a dilemma

Ali likes chicken and rice after her dentals. Then we progress on to mixing up the kibble with a little canned in the blender to make it softer to eat. I also use the pill pockets for giving them meds.

Edited by stlgrey

Most of my girls who lost a lot of teeth were willing to eat something just 2 days later. If her weight isn't bad, you can let her go without eating.

But, like some others said, Ensure or ice cream. Most of mine definitely liked those items. And cold ice cream feels good on a sore mouth. Just make sure to mush it to the bowl so they can lick it and not eat it in one solid lump. They'll get brain freeze. Of course, it is funny to watch them get that.........(just saying). :)

Take her back to the clinic and have them give an injection of the 24 hr dose of Rimadyl. Bet she hurts and the Rimadyl should help. You can also see if they have Convenia--long lasting antibotic. That way you can skip the orals for now.

Take her back to the clinic and have them give an injection of the 24 hr dose of Rimadyl. Bet she hurts and the Rimadyl should help. You can also see if they have Convenia--long lasting antibotic. That way you can skip the orals for now.

Oh, I'm going to remember this for future issues.

Curry was done at our local Spay/Neuter Clinic. They do a fine job (and have done lots of the greyhounds coming in for adoptions) and are inexpensive, but they don't have many "extra" things. They are bare bones kind of clinic. I'm sure my regular vet would have these options available.

Thanks!

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14