Fear Of Thunderstorms

Guest julestheteach

Guest julestheteach

My 2 year old male greyhound is fearful of thunderstorms. He shakes so much and pants and cowers near me and my husband's legs on the couch. We want to help him, but we do not know what to do. People have suggested a sedative, but we really are nervouse about that because I read that greyhounds have a sensitive metabolism. We are worried as to how he will react to the 4th of July fireworks if he doesn't like trhe sound of thunder. Any idseas will be greatly appreciated.

One of mine is thunder phobic. It is still very, very new to me as well. The best thing for him is that I put a bed in a bathroom or a room without windows and that is quieter. He still shakes and paces but at times will sort of "hide out" in the bathroom. I basically have to just leave him alone as I don't want to "encourage" the fear. I have a prescription for xanax but have only used it one time. It helped a bit but not totally. Talk to your vet, they have several options. I don't do sedatives but xanax is an anti-anxiety med that seems to help. Good Luck, I'm sure others that have much more experience will chime in and help you as well. :)

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

I tried EVERYTHING in the 10 years we had Buddy. The only thing that worked, which I found two years ago, is the Calming Collar. If I hadn't seen it, I would not have believed it, but it works for thunder, fireworks, etc. He was still afraid, but I could get him to stop pacing and lay down to get through the storm, etc. www.calmingcollar.com

Good Luck.

Mom to Melly and Dani

Greyhound Bridge Angels - Jessie, Brittne, Buddy,

Red, Chica, Ford and Dodge.

Guest MyBoys

Our 10 year old boy Murphy is also afraid of thunder and fireworks, I give him a little rescue remedy and put a bed in the upstairs bathroom which has no windows, he now knows he has a safe spot and will go there on his own. Our bridge boy Gunnar was totally terrified of thunder and would do the same thing your boy is doing, shake and pant to the point where I was worrying about him. In the beginning I would sit with him and try to console him but soon realized I was just reinforcing the fear. That is when I started to put a bed in the bathroom, I would just guide him in there and allow him his safe space. It took some time but he soon realized that he had a place to go and feel safe, I stopped babying him and consoling him, he never actually got over his fear totally but he was 90% better as time went on.

Edited by MyBoys

Guest KiKi_Girl

One of mine is thunder phobic. It is still very, very new to me as well. The best thing for him is that I put a bed in a bathroom or a room without windows and that is quieter. He still shakes and paces but at times will sort of "hide out" in the bathroom. I basically have to just leave him alone as I don't want to "encourage" the fear. I have a prescription for xanax but have only used it one time. It helped a bit but not totally. Talk to your vet, they have several options. I don't do sedatives but xanax is an anti-anxiety med that seems to help. Good Luck, I'm sure others that have much more experience will chime in and help you as well. :)

I do exactly the same thing. KiKi likes to lay in the tub when the storms roll in. I just lay a couple towels down for her. She still shakes and pants something terrible, but I try to just make her spot comfortable and not encourge her behavior by "babying" her. I tell her she is a good girl, and leave her alone. The more you coddle them the more you reinforce that there IS something for them to worry about. It kills me to see her so scared but she finally goes to sleep once everything finally passes.

If we're expecting thunder storms I give my 3 girls Melatonin to help them. You can also establish a "safe" place for your hound as mentioned above.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest budsmom

Twister is extremely storm phobic and we're working with our vet to find something that will help. I've tried all the natural stuff which didn't help and even the max dose of valium didn't touch it. The only advice I can give is don't let it go on too long before talking to your vet. The longer they "suffer" from this, the worse the fear gets - Twiz has gotten much worse over time, now even a heavy rain can set her off.

Zeke-aroni and LadyBug suffer from T'storm phobia, too, as well as from the neighbors' back-firing lawnmower, omg. They have found that the bathroom is their den: LadyBug on a rug under the sink (no cabinet) and Zeke-aroni in the bath tub. We keep on hand Rescue Remedy and Benadryl. I leave Janet Marlow's CD "ZenDog" playing softly, or louder, depending. It's hard to watch them be so afraid but as others have said, you can't coddle them, which would enable the behavior. Our neighborhood fireworks seem to need no occasion ... summers can be very long sad.gif Good luck!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

My almost 11 year old broodie is so thunder and firework phobic that it scares me. I am afraid she will have a heart attack. When I go to hold her, me on my knees and my arm around her, MY teeth will chatter from her vibrations. I have tried everything and I mean EVERYTHING. Nothing worked.

So, I do give 10mg of valium which is prescribed for her. It sounds like a lot but dogs metabolize it different than humans and it really helps, a lot! I also give her a place to hide, like a closet with a comforter on the bottom of the floor, door open, bathroom- you can put the comforter in the tub. If the storm is going to be longer than 10-15 minutes ( I will listen to the reports to find out) I will give her the valium. I also give it on July 4 prior to the fireworks starting.

She is so unhappy.

ETA- I asked about xanax, and my vet said no to xanax- yes to valium.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

as kooky as this sounds we bought thunder phobic murray a storm defender cape. it has a 100% money back guarantee so we felt that we had nothing to lose. the cape has worked quite well for murray. he used to shake terribly when storms approached. we try to get the cape on him before the storm is in full swing. murray doesn't shake nearly as much as he used to. he still heads for the hills and hides out in the bedroom away from the window during a storm. there is much less shaking with the cape on.

Edited by 45MPHK9

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

Guest 4greytful

We use the storm defender cape too. Maggie loves it. We also give her melatonin, just to help, but you need to give it at least 20-30 minutes before storm rolls in. We also have a "safe" place for her to go hide. So we pay close attention to the weather forcast before we leave for work etc. in the mornings. She used to shake so hard and turn so red, that I was fearful for her well being. You can buy the melatonin at Walmart, etc.

We tried the cape and Melatonin but it didn't help Polli or Elsie. It must be a broodie thing!

Weird when you think about it that both my girls lived on a farm out west where there were must worse things than T - storms and yet both broodies were in baaaaad shape when a storm was approaching.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest CherylH

My 2 year old male greyhound is fearful of thunderstorms. He shakes so much and pants and cowers near me and my husband's legs on the couch. We want to help him, but we do not know what to do. People have suggested a sedative, but we really are nervouse about that because I read that greyhounds have a sensitive metabolism. We are worried as to how he will react to the 4th of July fireworks if he doesn't like trhe sound of thunder. Any idseas will be greatly appreciated.

Hi I am also new yesterday we were expecting T storms I promised my boy Brady he would not have to suffer this year. So I called the vet and explained to her I did not want anything that he would have to be on full time she suggested Proquiet. ProQuiet is a safe and gentle L-tryptophan formula that is helpful for maintaining a healthy nervous system and mental attitude in dogs and cats. This is the same thing in turkey that makes us tired. Well I used just on chewable tablet ( recommended 2 ) last evening and wow no shakes no panting and no tearing down the shower curtain to get to the tub. You can order this from Amazon.com. Give it a try it may help your pup.

I've tried just about everything with Stel (short of the Storm Defender Cape) and nothing seems to have done the trick yet. Whenever I think there is even a chance of a storm, I move a bed into the bathroom and close the blinds. She still shakes, whines, drools and paces but eventually will settle down on that bed until the storm passes.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Guest BoandLazMom

We use thh storm defender cape also with much success. Laz was afraid of not only thunderstrom but also fireworks. With continued use of the cape he has become desensitized to both thurndersorms and fireworks. He'll let you know when a thunderstorm is rolling in and wants to put on his cape.

Guest Polly

Hi - I once heard that some of the dogs that react in storms are actually reacting to some kind of static electricity shocks. I heard that rubbing a scrent free dryer sheet on them (their fur) reduces the static and reduces the shocks they get. Oh course, this doens't help those pups that are actually scared of the noises. But, thought I would throw out this idea (I haven't had to try it) as something someone may want to try. I know that some dogs really need the extra help that the vets can provide. So, just another thing to try if you want!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest hattiepumpkin

Twister is extremely storm phobic and we're working with our vet to find something that will help. I've tried all the natural stuff which didn't help and even the max dose of valium didn't touch it. The only advice I can give is don't let it go on too long before talking to your vet. The longer they "suffer" from this, the worse the fear gets - Twiz has gotten much worse over time, now even a heavy rain can set her off.

Hi,

My name is Alex, and my girl Hattie is getting worse in regards to storm phobia. As you said, rain sets her off now (it doesn't even have to be a heavy rain), and she is nervous and upset about something on a daily basis. I don't know what to do, and I hate seeing her like this. I have tried Rescue Remedy--that did nothing--Valium--that works, but only after a while--, and ignoring her. This is becoming a quality of life issue. Can anyone help?

Guest budsmom

Hi,

My name is Alex, and my girl Hattie is getting worse in regards to storm phobia. As you said, rain sets her off now (it doesn't even have to be a heavy rain), and she is nervous and upset about something on a daily basis. I don't know what to do, and I hate seeing her like this. I have tried Rescue Remedy--that did nothing--Valium--that works, but only after a while--, and ignoring her. This is becoming a quality of life issue. Can anyone help?

I wish I could give you the magic answer, but I'm still looking for it myself. All I can say is talk to your vet - sooner than later - and see what he/she suggests. I waited too long trying all the natural stuff with Twiz and I really regret it now. Storm season just started here again, and I have to check in with my vet again and see if we can come up with Alternate Plan C, since the alprazolam isn't helping her, either. I'm almost to the point where I think we need to start one of the long term, daily use meds with Twiz. I just don't know what else to do.

Guest goofydog

If we're expecting thunder storms I give my 3 girls Melatonin to help them. You can also establish a "safe" place for your hound as mentioned above.

I agree with Judy. I give melatonin, 5mg or 3mg or a combination of the 2, depending on the severity and length of the storm forecast. I close all the doors upstairs and Get Em will go up there in the dark and ride the storm out. For the really bad storms that rolled through the SE this past weekend he actually need 9mg to keep it under control. Good luck with your pup.