Playpen And Camping?

Guest earlkattangrey

Guest earlkattangrey

I know some people use playpens in their house to contain their greys while they are away. They were even suggested to me when Kattan was escaping from his crate. It seems hard to imagine these are sturdy enough to hold dogs, but maybe it's more a psychological thing based on playpens being less stressful to some dogs? Anyway, the question is, since I obviously can't tie a greyhound, would a playpen be an acceptable alternative? I sort of shudder at the thought but wanted GT input.

3n53kb3m75Y05V65Q2a3sdbae190c55ab14af.jpg

This one is available on my local CL - is this a typical playpen that people are referring to?

Guest auforygirl

Are you leaving them alone? I wouldn't. But if you are just chilling out at the camp site and would like to not be tied to your pup then the x-pen would work nicely. You can get two and connect them together to make it bigger since you have two pups. Depending on the time of year if I had to leave them I would keep them in the car... (obviously not during summer) I would just remember that if they see an animal they want to chase the flimsy walls of the xpen will not hold up. It is a good idea to bring wooden stakes and drive them into the ground and bungee the pen to them to give it a little more strength.

We use an x-pen for our three when we travel or camp. I have used it in a rental home, when I didn't want the guys wandering around the house while we were out. We use it when vending to keep the dogs in our area; I think it is very useful. You can order one from some on-line places, too. It should be at least 3 ft tall; our's is 4 ft.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest earlkattangrey

I guess an xpen is what I was hearing about, not a playpen. I would never leave them unattended. Sounds like this is doable and that's great!

Auforygirl those are some very good tips, thanks, and thanks all!

That looks just like my x-pen. I can put three in one but only if they are comfortable with each other. Two fit very well together in it. :) How much are they asking for it on CL? I picked up mine for $35.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Mine is called "Precision" but the one you have posted looks good. And I like that it looks like there is a door to it. Mine you have to unsnap the entire side to open it.

Guest earlkattangrey

If your dog tried to push these over these won't collapse? I'm imagining wire crates with no tops or bottoms to hold them together, if you know what I mean. (I would stake them as recommended anyway.) Does one need to teach the subject "x-pen etiquette"? I don't know why this is so confusing to me, just looks like trying to contain a grey in a house of cards for some reason! In reality Kattan isn't pushy and would probably just stand there like a good boy. Throw a bed in and I probably wouldn't be able to get him out..:)

I did dogsit a severe separation anxiety dog that managed to knock over the xpen to get out of it. :( He would also try to claw his way out of a crate too and hurt himself very badly at his owners house.

However, if your grey is calm and relaxed and doesn't show any signs of anxiety with it then they are good to go. :) Yes, the xpen has no top or bottom. I have seen people tie a tarp to the top to shade it if they were outside too. Good luck.

Edited by kamsmom

Guest MyBoys

I have used an xpen in my home for years instead of a crate, I like the fact that I can close it up when not in use. My youngest boy who has a little SA when I go out still goes into the xpen and seems to like it. When I set it up he goes right in on his own and flops down on the fluffy bed I put in there. They come in different heights so just make sure you get one that is tall enough, they also come with steaks you can anchor into the ground for using them outside which is another good idea. Whenever we go to any outside greyhound functions there are always a lot of people using them.

Guest bordermutts

Most flyball and agility people use these when they're camping (including us :) ) They're really nice, but it is very easy for a dog to get out of them if they're determined enough. They don't exactly topple over (not easily anyway), but I've seen dogs lift up the bottom and scoot out... when my friend's Jack Russell was a puppy, he used to jump over the top (typical JRT :lol ) We usually stake ours into the ground with tent stakes, and then clamp a tarp or shade cloth over the top; that at least makes it more difficult for the dog to get out, although I obviously wouldn't trust it to stop an unsupervised escape artist.

Guest KennelMom

I use xpens all the time when I go lure coursing. I always stake mine into the ground. Prevents them from being pushed over or lifted up. I also put a tarp across the top for shade and to prevent someone from climbing out, should they be inclined to do so when I'm not there.

A crate is definitely the most secure, but an xpen would work fine for many as well.

Two fit well into mine, three for a very short while. It's 48" tall...

3380694926_e250032dbc_o.jpg

Edited by KennelMom

I got mine on ebay. Most of them come with stakes. I have 40 inch pens, but they do come in 48 inch size. I use them in the house when having work done so they don't get into paint or eat the painters. When I babysit for my son's small yappy dog I use it to keep him away from my big guys. I also use mine outside when it is time for my sheep and goats to get their feet trimmed. I confine them to a small area so I don't have to chase and catch them. I have another one blocking off the end of the garden in season so the dogs stay out. These things are great!

i hate lugging around more gear than necessary when i go camping. so, i resort to a clothes line strung up inbetween 2 trees and a leash hanging down- which can move back and forth. i give them enough lead so they can lie down or attach the pups to the picnic table. that's where they generally want to be, near the food. our dogs are usually so exhausted from hiking that the movable leash works well. both want to be inside the tent anyway@! on top of the comfy sleeping bags. we NEVER leave our dogs unattended, if so, they are in the truck in the shade.

This set up was a bit sloppy and huge,, both my girl-friend and I have a couple of x-pens. we make a corral (fenced area) in front of our Picnic Tent and have a big area for all of our dogs. When we go camping,, we end up with 7 dogs between us,, so we need LOTS of space.!

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Guest Greytluv

Mine is called "Precision" but the one you have posted looks good. And I like that it looks like there is a door to it. Mine you have to unsnap the entire side to open it.

I had some with doors. They were a pain. They would always get caught up when I stacked them and I couldn't get them apart. I ended up cutting them off.

Guest earlkattangrey

Love love love all this talk about camping greys!! I thought camping was going to be automatically out for a grey. Glad to hear it's a just a matter of learning what it takes to accommodate them! Hooray, it's gonna be in the 70s and dry this weekend, and we're GOING CAMPING! :confetti

If your dog tried to push these over these won't collapse? I'm imagining wire crates with no tops or bottoms to hold them together, if you know what I mean. (I would stake them as recommended anyway.) Does one need to teach the subject "x-pen etiquette"? I don't know why this is so confusing to me, just looks like trying to contain a grey in a house of cards for some reason! In reality Kattan isn't pushy and would probably just stand there like a good boy. Throw a bed in and I probably wouldn't be able to get him out..:)

Yes, if your dog really wanted to get out, he could knock it over. Depending on how you set it up, it's also possible someone could jump out if determined enough. As with anything else, you have to know your dog. I used to use a collapsible crate when I camped, but it's more cumbersome and less convenient, especially if it rains at all, especially with 2 dogs. So I use an x-pen now. But my dogs are both crate trained and have no issues being confined, plus when we're at the campsite they're generally tired from hiking. And I don't leave them unattended. My only concern with my dogs would be if a deer wandered through camp (have had it happen), which is why I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving them unattended (well, among other reasons not related to the x-pen). The idea is just to have a way to have your hands free at the campsite, and to let your dogs settle easily. I usually put a tarp under the pen, then their beds, and I bring coats in case it gets chilly in the evenings since they won't be too near the fire.

Here's a picture of my set up when I went camping this past summer:

CampingJune09043.jpg

By the way, you can tether your greyhounds. You just need to use a harness and a lead of reasonable length. I have a 30' lead that I take with me, but I don't give them the full length when tied to it. The danger is if you tether using a collar as the dog could take off and then when it reaches the end of its lead, seriously injure itself. Harness/shorter lead address that. Before I started using the x-pen, but after I adopted Zuri (my 2nd dog), I would alternate putting one in the collapsible crate and tethering the other.

Oh, and just b/c I think it's cute, Zuri and Neyla resting mid-hike in the "hole" that Zuri dug:

SNP063007036.jpg

I was fascinated the first time I saw Zuri do this - he digs into the ground a bit, I think so that it's cooler when he lays down. Usually he inadvertently digs enough that Neyla can partake in his spot as well. :) Btw, this would be an example of the incorrect way to tether, but we were stopping for lunch toward the end of our hike and the dogs were so pooped by that point (it was a hot day) that I wasn't concerned.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest earlkattangrey

Thanks for the great advice Neylasmom! My adoption contract actually stated that I agree never to tether my grey. I think the "trolley system" (running a line above b/t trees) described by someone else, combined with a harness, looks like a safe way to tether while under supervision. Love the pics of your campsite, thanks for sharing! I am super excited!!

Thanks for the great advice Neylasmom! My adoption contract actually stated that I agree never to tether my grey. I think the "trolley system" (running a line above b/t trees) described by someone else, combined with a harness, looks like a safe way to tether while under supervision. Love the pics of your campsite, thanks for sharing! I am super excited!!

Glad it was helpful. I do disagree on the trolley system though as it would allow your grey to potentially get up some speed before suddenly being jerked to a stop. That's what makes tethering in general unsafe for greyhounds in particular b/c they're able to gain speed very quickly and to be so distracted by prey that they don't realize they're going to reach the end of a leash/tether/etc. You're better off tying out with a shorter lead staked into the ground or tied to something imo, and always attached to a harness, not a collar.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

We find the X-pens to be a perfect camping solution, though we do not leave them unsupervised. They always go into the trailer if we need to leave the site.

Here are a couple of pics:

Campgrey011.jpg

Campgrey063.jpg

Edited by BrucieDad

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Guest earlkattangrey

Glad it was helpful. I do disagree on the trolley system though as it would allow your grey to potentially get up some speed before suddenly being jerked to a stop. That's what makes tethering in general unsafe for greyhounds in particular b/c they're able to gain speed very quickly and to be so distracted by prey that they don't realize they're going to reach the end of a leash/tether/etc. You're better off tying out with a shorter lead staked into the ground or tied to something imo, and always attached to a harness, not a collar.

*sigh* lots of good advice here but sometimes it's hard knowing whose to follow. I guess that's what discussion is all about though. I appreciate everyone's input nonetheless.

Look at those pampered doggies - 2 beds each! :gmark