Playpen And Camping?

Guest earlkattangrey

*sigh* lots of good advice here but sometimes it's hard knowing whose to follow. I guess that's what discussion is all about though. I appreciate everyone's input nonetheless.

Sorry, I missed the quotes in your post and hadn't read that poster's description well enough. I thought you were talking about purchasing one of the lines that you get at pet stores where the dog can run back and forth on a long line with the line attached to the dog leading up to a wheel that rolls on the line - very different thing. What the poster was describing might very well work. Ultimately it's about knowing your dogs and what will work for them. With any setup, just ask yourself, what if my dog sees something that interests him enough to take off, will he be safe?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Look at those pampered doggies - 2 beds each! :gmark

LOL - you made me laugh, Neylasmom!! Thank you!

I think we carry 4 beds because 2 go in the back of the truck with the dogs during transport and the two couches go in the trailer. The irony is this at night - Bumper bed hogging the lower bunk from DD (naturally the dog beds on the trailer floor go unoccupied)!

Raynham001.jpg

<<Hijack over>> :P

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

re: tethering system

i only use a leash which gives them enough room to lie down- a long line is a joke!!! instant tangled legs and potentially a serious problem.

never had a problem w/ a dog jerking and trying to take off after something. i will say if your dog have a strong prey drive, then hold onto the lead or keep them next to you at the picnic table! my two have always looked like the two who were sacked out in the pine needles under the tree. we generally have sleeping dogs at the campsite unless the stove is stoked up.but i am always on the look out, one of mine is know to eat leads...the same one who hates being penned up, yet loves crates-go know.

oh, i bring a thick rubber backed bathmat for the pups to lie on. easier to wash and less to asorb the rain which we always have when i go camping.boy do brucie & bumper look comfy!

http://hphotos-snc1.fbcdn.net/hs274.snc1/10116_100391613313497_100000279751144_9804_4249751_n.jpg

Edited by cleptogrey

Another option while camping is an electronet or E'Net fence, if your hounds aren't going to put their feet up on the fence. You don't need to make it electric.

It's a temporary, flexible woven-twine/wire sheep fence that rolls up small and has easy-to-place posts (assuming you're not on concrete).

My parents keep 100' of it in their RV and use it to set up a yard around their campsite, so their two Belgian Tervuren can run free around the campsite.

Here's one of the many sheep suppliers that sell them, and you do see them on farm auctions or even CL on occasion.

gallery_17468_3098_7486.jpg
Dash (Mega Batboy), & forever missing Kipper (RD's Kiper, 2006-2015) & Souldog Dune (Pazzo Otis, 1994-2008)
"..cherish him and give him place with yourself for the rest of his but too short life. It is his one drawback. He should live as long as his owner."
James Matheson, The Greyhound: Breeding, Coursing, Racing, etc., 1929