Harley Hurt His Back

Guest ArchiesMom

Guest ArchiesMom

Hi all. Yesterday afternoon Harley started yelping every time he tried to lay down. He was eating and walking and peeing and pooping just fine, he just couldn't lay down. He was pacing and panting a lot, too.

We took him to the vet and they took x-rays of his back and belly. The x-rays showed that his belly was full of air from the panting and the vertebrae in his lower back are very close together without much padding in between. The vet thought he might have pinched a nerve or otherwise hurt his back when he was doing zoomies in the yard yesterday. She gave him shots of a muscle relaxer, a pain killer, and a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory (he loses all control of his bladder almost immediately on Prednisone and we asked them not to use that if at all possible).

We brought him home and he slept for one hour, then he got up at 7:00 last night, and started pacing and panting and didn't stop until 2:00 a.m. I called the vet twice and they told me to give him more of the pain killers (Tramadol 50 mg) and a dose of the anti-inflammatory (Rimadyl 75 mg). He finally laid down around 2:00 a.m. but was awake again at 5:00 and has been pacing and panting ever since.

I'm going to call the vet again later this morning when they get in, but I was hoping someone had some experience with this, and maybe some advice about how to get him to relax so he can lie down. I was wondering if Rescue Remedy would be safe with the meds he's taking. Also, is it dangerous for him to be panting so much? I really don't want to leave him at the vet to be sedated, but I don't want him to make himself sick with all this panting either.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Here's a gratuitous pic of my good boy because he's so cute. (I'm not sure if this will work, Photobucket seems to have changed their file naming system.)

<a href=DSC00372.jpg' alt='DSC00372.jpg'>

OMG, Chris! My poor Harley! The only advice I can give you is maybe see Dr. Sargent at Knowles. She's an acupuncturist. Gentle scritches for our boy.

Veterinary Doctor - Dr. Lois Sargent - You can read more about her on the clinic web site.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Guest ArchiesMom

OMG, Chris! My poor Harley! The only advice I can give you is maybe see Dr. Sargent at Knowles. She's an acupuncturist. Gentle scritches for our boy.

Veterinary Doctor - Dr. Lois Sargent - You can read more about her on the clinic web site.

Thanks Irene. Dr. Wise wasn't in yesterday so we saw Dr. Pereira. Harley finally laid down about 15 minutes ago but he doesn't look like he's going to stay down. I just don't know what to do to make him more comfortable when he's pacing like that... :weep I'll ask Dr. Wise about the accupuncture if he's not better soon...

Poor Harley. Went through something similar with Sneakers on Saturday. My link

He is on Methocarbamol, carprofen(Rimadyl)and tramadol and "bed rest". Fortunately with him we believe it is a pulled muscle. He is already back to roaching. We did not do x-rays at the Referral Center (E-VET) and due to his improvement my vet opted not to yesterday when I had him in for a recheck.

Hope Harley starts to feel better soon!

Sue ,Sky and Dood, Bridge angels Clark, Gypsy, Dreamy and Sneakers, Oshkosh,WI Heartbound Greyhound Adoptionsept2013sigcopy_zps8ad6ed09.jpg<p>

Guest ArchiesMom

Poor Harley. Went through something similar with Sneakers on Saturday. My link

He is on Methocarbamol, carprofen(Rimadyl)and tramadol and "bed rest". Fortunately with him we believe it is a pulled muscle. He is already back to roaching. We did not do x-rays at the Referral Center (E-VET) and due to his improvement my vet opted not to yesterday when I had him in for a recheck.

Hope Harley starts to feel better soon!

Yup, Sneakers sounds exactly like Harley. I really hope Harley heals as quickly as Sneakers did (adorable name, BTW).

This probably sounds stupid, but I have this healing meditation CD by Dr. Andrew Weil (Sound Body, Sound Mind). I just played it for Harley. When I started it he was lying down on his bed but extremely uncomfortably and looking like he was going to get up any minute. I went to take a shower while the CD played and when I came back Harley was sound asleep on his side in his bed and he's still there now. It might be a coincidence, but it surely can't hurt! I'll play it again for him when he starts feeling agitated again.

Chris, Just a thought - How about icing his back if he'll tolerate it? It might help reduce the inflammation.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Guest ArchiesMom

Chris, Just a thought - How about icing his back if he'll tolerate it? It might help reduce the inflammation.

I was wondering about that, too, or maybe a heating pad on low. I'll ask Dr. Wise when I call (I want to ask him about the muscle relaxant that Sneakers was taking, too). Right now he's still sleeping comfortably, thank God. It's just so awful when they're hurting and you don't know what else to do to help them. :(

Guest bluefawn

Sending healing thoughts and white light for Harley! Penny was pretty much a few weeks ago. She was yelping when she got up or down and could not get comfortable. I took her in for a vet visit (of course, she was misdiagnosed with a tumor on her spinemad.gif). But she was on tramadol and feldene, and once those kicked in, she was much more comfortable, but it took a couple of weeks for her to show noticeable improvement. We never found out what was causing the pain - I suspect it was an old injury (she is 12). I hope Harley will be back to his old self soon!

Guest ArchiesMom

SO sorry this happened. HOpe he feels better soon and keep playing that CD!

Thanks!

Sending healing thoughts and white light for Harley! Penny was pretty much a few weeks ago. She was yelping when she got up or down and could not get comfortable. I took her in for a vet visit (of course, she was misdiagnosed with a tumor on her spinemad.gif). But she was on tramadol and feldene, and once those kicked in, she was much more comfortable, but it took a couple of weeks for her to show noticeable improvement. We never found out what was causing the pain - I suspect it was an old injury (she is 12). I hope Harley will be back to his old self soon!

Oh, poor Penny, a couple of weeks! I'm glad to hear she's better now!

This sounds very much like what Sugar had. We did use Pred for immediate relief, and Tramadol for long term, but what really helped was the acupuncture. It takes a few sessions to see major relief, but it really, really helped her. One other thing that gave her some immediate relief was an Adequan shot. Not sure if that is a steriod or not unsure.gif

Hope Harley starts to feel better!

Just wanted to mention that some pups can have bad reactions to tramadol. The pacing & panting sounds like my boy's reaction to fentanyl & other have said their dogs react to tramadol that way. Has he ever had tramadol before?

I hope Harley feels better very soon.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Prayers for Harley! Also Rescue Remedy is safe to use with the meds. I have never had any issues and it is supposed to be OK anyway because it is the energy in it that helps. The actual "stuff or active ingredients" in it are VERY VERY dilute.

Poor precious Bob Harley....Gus, the girlies and I hope that he is comfortable until he is back up on his feet and up to speed again quickly.

Auntie Leslie

FunnyBirdsGetWellSoon.gif

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Just adding that we had great results from methocarbamol, as a prior poster mentioned. Our Shane was panting and his heart rate was up to 180. He was too messed up to even pace, just stood. Icing for 15 minutes helped the first night and allowed him to lie down and his heart rate to decrease. Next day we got the medicine, he stayed on it for five days, bed rest, and that did the trick. Maybe a muscle relaxer like this is better than a straight pain reliever. In any case, we're looking for a good update from you! Best of luck. It's hard to watch them in pain and not be able to help much, I know!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest ArchiesMom

Hi everybody. Thanks so much for all of your replies, advice, and best wishes. Sorry, I wasn't online much yesterday. Harley seems to be doing better. He slept most of the day yesterday and all of last night, and the pain meds seem to have kicked in because he isn't crying as much when he lays down. His vet called him in a prescription for valium and I gave him one last night before bed but I don't think we'll continue it unless he back tracks and starts pacing again. He also ate last night, and this morning I found him in a sort of assisted roach against the wall :lol , so I really do think he's feeling much better.

Luckily our vet's office does have accupuncture, so if he needs it, we can get it for him. I'm hoping this won't become a chronic condition, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Thanks again for all of your support. Gotta love GTers!!!!! :wubsite