What's Wrong With Gracie's Nose?

On the center lower portion of Gracie's nose she's had a loss of pigment. This has been so very gradual that we didn't think much of it.

Today I see some ulceration that was not there yesterday. What was before just a flesh-color flat area now has become raised.

Gracie is 9, in good health, her breath is stinky (even though she had a dental within the past year).

This not a sore caused by a muzzle.

There is no discharge, sneezing or reverse sneezing.

She has a normal appetite.

020-2.jpg

016-2.jpg

021-2.jpg

Lupus, cancer or something else?

I'll be making a vet appointment but am hoping someone here has seen this before.

Editing to add: the first picture almost looked like the inside of her nose was bloody but I just checked with a flashlight and it wasn't bloody inside.

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ouch, that looks sore. I haven't a clue but am sending good thoughts your way.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Soonest vet appointment is Friday. :huh At least she's not licking or rubbing it.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I found this info here: http://www.vetinfo.com/ddepigmt.html I can't vouch for the site, but to summarize what the vet says, most of the time it is normal and they're not entirely sure why it happens. It can be a sign of bigger problems, and she suggests a vet check if it is accompanied by any sores or swelling.

Given this, and the speed it's changing at, I'd take her in, but remember there can be lots of beign bumps.

I'll hold both of you in the light, hopefully it's nothing serious.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Interesting article. Thanks PatricksMom.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest LindsaySF

If it was just the loss of pigment I wouldn't worry (Clancy's nose gets lighter every day, it's weird). But with that bump/ulcer, I'd want the vet to look at it. Dogs can get skin cancer on their noses.

I hope it's nothing!

Geez Ducky. I've never seen that before. Hope its nothing. Good thing it does'nt seem to bother her, but I'd have it check out for sure. Sending good thoughts your way!

Guest Energy11

Geez Ducky. I've never seen that before. Hope its nothing. Good thing it does'nt seem to bother her, but I'd have it check out for sure. Sending good thoughts your way!

No, I have never seen anything like it before, either.

I'd get the vet to look at is, and maybe biopsy, and go from there.

Sending love to you and Gracie!

Guest Tokolos

Sprinkles has some loss of color on his nose and some extreme dryness, but no ulceration or raised bumps like your grey. When we took him to the vet, he gave us an anti-fungal/bacterial/inflammatory/itch cream called <a href="http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=9613">Animax</a>. We apply it twice a day, and it has helped a great deal, though it seems like the nose kicks right back into cracky/dry mode the minute we slow down. Not sure if this helps.

Sprinkles has some loss of color on his nose and some extreme dryness, but no ulceration or raised bumps like your grey. When we took him to the vet, he gave us an anti-fungal/bacterial/inflammatory/itch cream called <a href="http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=9613">Animax</a>. We apply it twice a day, and it has helped a great deal, though it seems like the nose kicks right back into cracky/dry mode the minute we slow down. Not sure if this helps.

It's not dry at all. Not have I caught her rubbing it before or after this change. Just odd that first there was the de-pigmentation and then overnight the bump/redness/ulceration popped up.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest SoulsMom

It's not dry at all. Not have I caught her rubbing it before or after this change. Just odd that first there was the de-pigmentation and then overnight the bump/redness/ulceration popped up.

Ducky sounds and looks like some sort of sore . . sorry, I'm not much help.

Tokolos, your situation on the other paw sounds like Discoid Lupus

It could be an atypical presentation of discoid lupus. You say no odor or purulent drainage (pus)?

She might need a biopsy for a definitive dx. But it looks similar to what my Ruby had when he had a flare of DL.

No odor or pus.

How do they biopsy that? Would she have to be sedated? :huh

If it is lupus, is the treatment prednisone (pills?)....forever? Any others meds in combo with that?

If it isn't and perhaps a topical creme is used, how do you keep a dog from licking it?

Editing to add: just found this - " It is important that a definitive diagnosis is established, as there are more serious diseases that can look like discoid lupus. One example is a form of cutaneous lymphoma called mycosis fungoides. It starts with loss of pigmentation of the nose and lips and then progresses into ulcerations. Prognosis for this type of lymphoma is poor. Biopsy is crucial to differentiate between similar diseases."

From here

Edited by macoduck

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest SoulsMom

I know the biopsy for DL is a punch biopsy. It's quite painful and she would need to be out for it. It is also very slow to heal, which is why my vet hasn't pushed for one. The 'aggresivness' of the lupus would determine your course of treatment. There are lots of things you can do beside lifelong meds. Just gotta find the regiment that works.

I also wanted to add that a classic sign of DL is a 'smooth' nose---the nose loses pigment, is crusty, and loses the classic cobblestone look. Doesn't look that has happened to Gracie. . .

Edited by SoulsMom

Guest Energy11

Ducky,

You know, you can get pretty "spooked," on the internet. I know I can.

Please TRY not to worry until you know something for sure, ok?

Sending you lot of love and prayers! Dee

OK, Ducky, hold your breath. Lots of technical stuff but I think you'll be able to decipher a lot of it.

Makes me think in terms of a deep pyoderma, or pemphigus foliaceus (?) but derm isn't my forte.;)

diagnosis

nasal dermatitis

In General, Biopsy is Indicated [4]:

1. In all cases where it is suspected that the definitive diagnostic is reached by histology, e.g. pemphigus foliaceous, erythema multiforme complex, follicular dysplasia or dystrophy...
  2. When the response to the treatment initiated based on objective clinical judgement does not provide with the expected clinical response, e.g. pyoderma not responding to adequate antibiotic treatment.
  3. In cases with nodular lesions compatibles with neoplastic disorders or with persistent ulceration.
  4. In all cases of dermatosis with unusual or serious appearance, for example extensive ulcerative or exudative lesions
  5. When there is the suspicion of a disease that will require long-term, expensive or dangerous treatment and a final diagnosis is necessary before treatment is initiated.

autoimmune skin disease

More than you want to know about skin nodules

pemphigus foliaceus

check out photo L upper - pemphigus foliaceus

Tons of articles on dermatology

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

Wow Jordan! That was a lot of homework. :lol I registered with the IVIS site so I could view some of those articles. Thank you!

What I do find a bit reassuring is that whatever is on Gracie's nose isn't something that looks like any photo I've seen or Googled. Most of the nose lupus pics show it starting on the top of the nose, not the bottom. Plus the rest of her nose is normal - no cobblestone appearance or peeling.

I also feel a little better because many of the things I thought it might be report having other health issues associated with the affected dog. Not so with Gracie.

I'm on the call list if the vet I'd prefer to see gets a cancellation.

tiny hada siggy.png