Breakthrough Treatment Of Corns

Guest greytcritters

What is the contact info for the cream?

I would like to purchase some for our Chipper dog...he is 10 yrs and very ouchy

thank you!

NM I am blind...I just saw the email thanks Susan and Erica!

Edited by greytcritters

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've tried everything for my poor boy Hot, hopefully this will be the one that works.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."

- Douglas Adams

Guest jettcricket

I just printed out the information for a friend who has a 3-year old with bad corns. She has spent thousands of dollars trying to help her boy, which they mis-diagnosed in the beginning. She asked could it be corns and they dismissed her. They did every test under the sun until finally she brought it up again and they realized yes, the boy had corns. She opted for surgery ($900 worth) hoping to resolve his corn issues.

Well...guess what? There back. She was elated when I told her about this product. I hope it works for her boy Eagle and or at least makes it more manageable for him.

She can't even take the poor boy for walks...

Guest bluefawn

Hello Susan, and welcome to GT! There are a lot of happy people and hounds now that you are here colgate.gif You are a godsend to those with corns!

I understand that Susan's intern also joined the board. I did tell Susan that you all wanted her to join and am so happy that she is now one of us. Just think of all the informative posts she will give us.

Welcome to our resident pharmacists

Hugs

Beryl

It is better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all

Missing my Big Blue eyed Bear

I just ordered mine. The cream takes 48 hours to prepare, so it will be shipped in a couple of days. I'll keep you all posted.

too cool! I'm watching this thread and can't wait to read your experiences

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

Guest Fasave

Just ordered today. My guy has had corns on three feet for over five years and is now 10. I've been able to manage some but one just never seems to go away. While I know this product works better the younger the corn, I'm still hopeful for some results. Can you imagine if this guy could actually be corn free and enjoy his senior years? I forwarded the link to my vet as well. I'll be keeping track of everyone's progress.

They did say it does work on the older corns but takes a little longer. So far I have been lucky with my hooligans no corns, just seizures with EZ and Ms Hershey's brakes don't work all the time and she is an escape artist. Penske I guess is the good boy no ER visits, just caused one by attacking EZ in seizure...

Found this from Susan in my e-mail this morning

Hi Beryl,

I just went on the forum and was thrilled by the interest and sharing

in this community. Since Erica is signed up and I am not yet, we will

be communicating to the folks on the forum through her.

We are constantly researching and refining our product. We are

conducting a study on the corn cream and are so appreciative of the

positive response. When I get to work tomorrow I want to send a new

info sheet to post with updates like being able to put the cream

directly into a hulled pad. Part of the cream's purpose is to break

down this hard tissue. By putting it into the hull we may be able to

break down the hard core before it has a chance to take hold. Please

post this in the morning.

Good Night!

Susan

Susan Merenstein,RPh

Murray Avenue Apothecary

Guest Fasave

Found this from Susan in my e-mail this morning

Hi Beryl,

I just went on the forum and was thrilled by the interest and sharing

in this community. Since Erica is signed up and I am not yet, we will

be communicating to the folks on the forum through her.

We are constantly researching and refining our product. We are

conducting a study on the corn cream and are so appreciative of the

positive response. When I get to work tomorrow I want to send a new

info sheet to post with updates like being able to put the cream

directly into a hulled pad. Part of the cream's purpose is to break

down this hard tissue. By putting it into the hull we may be able to

break down the hard core before it has a chance to take hold. Please

post this in the morning.

Good Night!

Susan

Susan Merenstein,RPh

Murray Avenue Apothecary

Just to make sure I'm reading this the right way, it is okay, and almost advised that you hull the corn first?

Also, thinking ahead, when the corn starts to pop out, do you let it fall out on it's own or do you pull it out? So excited to start treatment.

One other thing I've done in the past to assist in soaking the paw is to put a paper towel soaked in epsom salt in a plastic baggie. I then put the paw in the baggie and put the paw in a therapaw bootie. It makes the pads very soft but you don't have to stand there trying to keep a paw in a bowl of water. Just a thought.

Edited by Fasave

I am so GT challenged this morning :lol :lol :lol . My questions in the previous post are inside of the quote box from Susan.

Fasave

I will forward your question and information to Susan - I know she is monitoring this forum and her Intern may respond to you

We are so going to try this one. Hopefully this can help us manage Bailey's corns. Thanks, Beryl for posting this.

Melissa - I can see that we'll be exchanging notes..,

Edited by Naty

Just back from a visit with Susan and she is contacting a vet to get more information for a question from fasave. Susan also said that fasave using the baggy is a greyt idea as it keep it soft. As soon as I hear from her I will copy and post her e-mail she also told me she will answer your question also fasave

Guest littlesyd85

I just emailed Feeman and Couto to see if they have heard about this. When I hear back from them I will let you all know. I'm very curious to see what they think about this.

just in from Susan

Hi Beryl,

As I have said in the literature and from some of the dogs we have already

seen, if the corn is discovered early on, hulling should not be needed if

treated with the cream. The dog in the story had relief in 10 days and it

has not come back since original treatment in September of 09 with

maintenance of 1-5 times a week.

The other dog is doing well too considering the corn is 3 years old, hulled

several times and had come back frequently. As we showed on the story it

was ready to come out after 2 months of treatment.

I spoke to a nice vet in Ohio and he told me that the cream would be good to

put in a hulled pad to soften the hull to help prevent its regrowth.

I also spoke to a local vet who told me that if the corn is coming out and

is almost out then pulling it out is fine but there may be a tiny amount of

bleeding, but not to worry about it, and then put the cream in the hole.

Our goal is to make sure the hull is NOT growing back!

I love the idea of putting the pad in a little baggie and then putting a

therapaw on so the owner does not have to sit there while the animal is

soaking in the salt water/Epsom salt bath. This way the paw can be even

softer! I do recommend using salt as well as the Epsom salts, as it softens

and is a good detoxifier.

Susan

Susan Merenstein,Pharmacist/Owner

Murray Avenue Apothecary

A Compounding and Wellness Pharmacy

4227 Murray Avenue

Pittsburgh, Pa. 15217

412-421-4996/fax 412-421-6500

www.murrayavenuerx.com

I just emailed Feeman and Couto to see if they have heard about this. When I hear back from them I will let you all know. I'm very curious to see what they think about this.

Susan said she was in touch with a Dr. Feeman and I am not sure if this is the one you mentioned

Dr Feeman has been a GT member although we haven't heard much from him lately. He's had greyhounds himself.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Awesome.

I never could get the video to play and was going to write them directly. So if this is repetitive info for some, I apologize in advance, but figure there might be others out there that are also dying to know more about this treatment but can't get the video to play.

The Vet I take Pete to for his corn is the medical advisor to GPA-MD, and if this is a promising treatment word will spread.

Ms. Merenstein-

What is in the mixture? I realize you do have trade secrets, but I wouldn't want to put anything on my dog that I didn't have a basic idea of the components.

What is the treatment protocol and duration?

Are there any side effects?

How can folks outside the Pittsburgh area try the treatment on their dogs? Is it possible for us to order it from you? If you could prepare a downloadable order form, we could pay you through paypal.

Thanks for answering my questions, and lending your expertise to try and help Greyhounds.

Awesome.

I never could get the video to play and was going to write them directly. So if this is repetitive info for some, I apologize in advance, but figure there might be others out there that are also dying to know more about this treatment but can't get the video to play.

The Vet I take Pete to for his corn is the medical advisor to GPA-MD, and if this is a promising treatment word will spread.

Ms. Merenstein-

What is in the mixture? I realize you do have trade secrets, but I wouldn't want to put anything on my dog that I didn't have a basic idea of the components.

What is the treatment protocol and duration?

I think

Are there any side effects?

How can folks outside the Pittsburgh area try the treatment on their dogs? Is it possible for us to order it from you? If you could prepare a downloadable order form, we could pay you through paypal.

Thanks for answering my questions, and lending your expertise to try and help Greyhounds.

I think Murray Avenue had problems and will get back on soon

Dear Greyhound lovers,

This is our NEW info sheet which should answer some of the questions posted. Every time I talk to another vet or read posts on the forum, I gain more information and perspective on this problem. One interesting thing I learned is that it would be a good idea to put the cream in the hulled area to soften the hull to help prevent it from growing.

By the way, Epsom salts are an astringent that actually draw OUT water, toxins, puss, etc out of tissues, they do NOT hydrate.

I have a couple of great ideas for hydrating the paw before application of the cream!

1. How about olive oil in water, soak paper towel, put over paw, put baggie on top then Therapaw for 20 minutes, then apply the cream, baggie or saran and therapaw for at least 15minutes.

2. An even better softening agent is hyaluronic acid which is contained in a spray called Hydrating Rain. This is available at the apothecary for 39.00 for 2 oz. The advantage here is that hyaluronic acid holds 1000 times its weight in water. Or a hyaluronic acid mask (25.00 for 2 oz)which would be put on the paw and then covered with a baggie and therapaw for about 10-15 minutes. Then the corn cream would then be applied to the paw afterwards, baggie back on or saran to occlude, and therapaw bootie on top for 15 minutes.

I hope these suggestions help. We just mailed our first 50 tubes of corn cream today since the story broke!

Since we are conducting a study on the greyhound corn response your feedback is invaluable in finding a cure for this problem of this lovely breed.

Thanks so much for your patience as we work to create the best product possible and the best information too!

Susan Merenstein

Pharmacist

Murray Avenue Apothecary

Greyhound/Corn and Callus Cream

This drug information sheet is to be used as a guide to counsel patients on the use and side effects of this medication.

Medication:

Greyhound/Corn and Callus Cream

Use:

Greyhound/Corn and Callus Cream (a Murray Avenue Apothecary proprietary formula) - helps soften and heal the skin, promote removal of corns and calluses, and has anti-inflammatory/anti-pain properties, anti-viral, anti-fungal, and antiseptic properties.

How to take and store this medicated cream:

- Soak the foot/paw for 5-10 minutes in a bath of olive oil and water for about 10-15 minutes. If the owner does not wish to have the animal try to soak in a bath (hard to get the dog to stay I know) then soak a paper towel with the olive oil and water. At this point a baggie may be put on over the paw and a therapaw bootie on top.Or use Hydrating Rain mask on the paw, cover with a baggie, and therapaw for 15 minutes. Hyaluronic acid holds 1000x its weight in water and is a better hydrator than Epsom salts which actually draws out fluid from the tissue. The softer the pad the better the cream will work. Apply cream and massage in well-the cream will appear to be white when rubbed on the pad, keep rubbing until the cream is gone. Wrap the area with saran wrap or a baggie, use a bootie for at least 15 minutes following application to occlude area and allow the cream to be well absorbed.

- The cream may be applied into a hulled pad to soften the “hull” to help prevent re-growth of the corn. If the corn is coming out of the pad and is loose, it may be pulled out, but may see a tiny bit of blood. This should not be a problem. Sometimes the corn will fall out on its own.

- Optimal results are typically seen with twice a day applications.

- Resolution has been seen in as little as 10 days for mild cases, but may take up to 2 months or more for severe cases with repeated use.

- Cream may be used as a prevention, maintenance application varies but may be applied 1-5 times per week- observe animals walking pattern and response.

- Store the medicine at room temperature. Do not refrigerate or freeze.

- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.

Side Effects:

This cream is non-toxic if used properly and the paw is occluded for 10-15 minutes after application.

To date, no side effects have been reported, but it is possible that the following mild reaction may occur: mild localized irritation to surrounding skin.

Precautions:

- For topical use only.

- Avoid contact with eyes, lips, and mucous membranes.

- If you do get medicine in your eyes, rinse your eyes with water and call your doctor.

- Wash your hands with soap and water after using this medicine.

- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.

For more information, please feel free to call the Pharmacist/Owner Susan Merenstein or

Intern Erica Trimble between the hours of 9a and 5p at 412-421-4996. Questions can also be sent by e-mail to Erica@MurrayAvenueRx.com.

NOTE: All greyhounds using the cream will be entered into our Greyhound/Callus Study. We appreciate feedback and results. Please report any information, results, or feedback to Erica@MurrayAvenueRx.com. We appreciate your support in this important endeavor.

Guest Fasave

Awesome! Thanks for all the clarification Susan! Also, thanks Beryl for making sure our questions are answered! I hope I was one of the 50 :lol :lol :lol

And yes, Naty, we'll be comparing notes and Pat has asked to keep her updated. I hope your joining us at the beach on Sunday with Bailey to start the salt soaking process :lol :lol :lol

Stopped by to see Susan today and she was beaming as she spoke about all your responses and the treatment of corns. I was joking with her and asked if it could be used for humans as I have a pinched callus on my right big toe. She told me yes so I will be getting some of the cream and start treating my callus and I will let you know the results.

I also suggest to Susan about the grehound events such as Dewey, Gettysburg so if anyone has an event that is not too far from Pittsburgh that you think she might want to attend or send a representative please let her know.